O.o When did it become politically incorrect to Wish someone “Merry Christmas�!? WTH!

TK-2126_MD

Hello

First of all I don’t want to drop a poo doo in the general Season and New Year thing, but I really have to ask.

Well today i had my brain spun 360 degrees several times and the term WTH became the one thought synapse that the few brain cells that didn’t blow a fuse could mustard…………..

O.o When did it become politically incorrect to Wish someone “Merry Christmasâ€!?? WTH!

Were was I???? I check my Junk file several times I never got that memo…….

I understand perfectly that not everyone celebrates the 25 as the Birth date of Jesus. I do have Jewish friends that celebrate Hanukkah. I remember being taught about Kwanzaa in school. But I never knew that that it was politically incorrect to say Merry Christmas????

What happened was as Christmas and New Year approaches I started to post a OutPost Bolivia season and new year wihes pic on FB and other Boards I frequent. Then I start to get my rear end chewed out by ppl stating that they didn’t celebrate Christmas and this is rude, classist even racist and that I should use the term “Happy Holidays†……… I don’t get it???? I don’t Celebrate “Holidays†I celebrate Christmas. Before there wasn’t all theses debacles about this, I have Wished Christmas wishes to Jewish ppl before and they either said “Thanks†or thanked me and let me know the were Jewish at which point I told them Happy Hanukkah. No harm no foul , certainly didn’t say it with spite or ill intension.

The thing that really blew me away way, was the voracity & shear ruthlessness of the comments and insults I received!!!!!!!!

Not living in the States my question is WHAT HAPPENED????? When did it become wrong to state your opinion and Religious beliefs and practices in the USA!!!??????

Plz I don’t want to cause a riot or problems I just really don’t get it?

When did it become wrong to state your opinion and Religious beliefs and practices in the USA!!!??????

Although it may seem so sometimes, but this is not the USA. This is the internet.

Now, sorry for marking words, I'm just a bit tired of people making that assumption.

I don't really care if people say Christmas, Hanukkah, or Jule, or whatever they may celebrate. But it *is* somewhat small minded to assume that everyone is Christian, or celebrate christian holidays, even though a lot of what today may be associated with Christmas actually have a hedonistic past, which is fairly common knowledge up here in the north. Carrying in the christmas tree in doors to your home for example, was done to hide from others the fact that you celebrated old hedonistic traditions (worshiping the nature and it's old gods) instead of the new christian ones.

Also, lets not forget all Hindu and Buddhism here. I'm pretty sure they don't care about christmas a whole lot either. There are a lot of religions and old traditions of celebrating and giving gifts to your close ones during this time of the year. Typically because in the northern hemisphere, the nights get longer and longer until they start getting shorter and daylight returns and spring is closing in. This is what many old religions celebrated. So just settle with wishing "happy holidays" and you pretty sure to be greeted back, no matter of others beliefs.

Edited by Locitus

It's because the internet gives people an anonomous way to lash out at those that offend them, and a lot of them are easily offended. In fact, they just wait to be offended, and Christmas is a great excuse for them to act out. Perhaps their family didn't care much for them as a child, and they are angry. I am a Christian, and celebrate Christmas - it's not offensive if I tell someone Merry Christmas, it's a joyous time for Christians. So, don't allow them to offend you - by being offended, you have given them power, so cheer up -- It's Christmas after all!

Merry Christmas

I've been known on occasion to ask someone who says "happy holidays" which holiday are they celebrating. It's usually meet with an odd look or a big smile. In the U.S. Christmas is a Federal Holiday and it listed as "Christmas" yet many people still won't or aren't allowed by their employer to say merry Christmas.

Interestingly enough I have friends that are Jewish and atheist and they aren't offended by referring to Christmas either. I think its all a bunch of PC nonsense from the few that are looking to be offended.

As posted on the 501st forums in the same thread ....

Don't know what happened either, but it's not (from my perspective) incorrect to wish anyone a Merry Christmas in the USA so ...

Merry Christmas brother!

GA501st_Xmas20117.jpg

GA501st_Xmas2011.jpg

Good will should not be looked on with scorn.

I think people can be overly sensitive. If someone wished me a Happy Chanukah I would not be offended that I was not Jewish. It's just a wish of good cheer.

I have no religion, but I always appreciate a smile :)

I take pride in saying "Merry Christmas." I really don't worrying about offending anyone, they should be accepting of my celebration of a Christian holiday as much as I accept theirs. If they wish to respond with Merry Festivus or something, that is their choice as well, and I am not offended. We all have freedom to practice and celebrate whatever religion we choose :)

Merry Christmas one and all. :)

If it's not wrong for others to wish good tidings of their faith, its not wrong for me to do the same. Heck, at work we had Hindu celebrations, so why is Christmas bad?

There Is major force in the USA that believes the Christian values our country was founded on are wrong and we (The USA) have been a bad influence on the world. This group resents religion and believes Christianity and Jewdism to be silly, but will fight to protect other religions. This group believes they are progressive and very intellectual.

This group is in our faces every day. If you don't know what I mean, open your eyes.

Many agree with is group.

They work in small ways and very big ways.

Making us feel uncomfortable saying "Merry Christmas" is a small thing that has been overlooked for sometime and many of us are simply tired of it.

Merry Christmas Happy Hanukkah everyone.

Thx for the answers, Pm`s and E-mails in regards to the "why" & "When"

I will be asking the Board Moderators to Plz Lock this thread.

1.- It touches two of the "Dont´s" of most Forum protocols " Religion" & "Politics".

2 .- We might be a post or two away from having this spin into a Poo Doo flinging Fest.

I agree with all that everyone is saying that it is sad people get blasted, or otherwise, for wishing anyone good blessings in which ever religion they celebrate. It is a shame that people have become so callous to this. Though I do wish we had something to say for the rest of the year. It's sad we only wish people a Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas during this time of the year. Can't we wish everyone a Merry entire year too? :D

There Is major force in the USA that believes the Christian values our country was founded on are wrong and we (The USA) have been a bad influence on the world.

::Sorry this is probably not the place for this::

I'm a christian person myself but, I really do not like this statement that we as Christians are saying. It would be better to say "our country was founded under the guidance and grace of Christian founders" Our country was founded under the beliefs of religious freedom. We created the US constitution to allow all people of all beliefs to pray and worship with out recourse. This is known as our "Bill of Rights". Amendment 1: establishes the freedom of speech, press, religion, and petition "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Article 6: "No religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." I can go on and on. I know I'm gunna get blasted by this. I do however think it's unfair for us Christians to keep using that statement as a crutch.

This is the major reason we left Europe to populate the "New World". After King Henry VIII killed all his wives and changed the state religion to allow his divorces, he separated from the Roman Catholic Church to form the Church of England. He then made it illegal to be an orthodox after the Anglican church came into power. King Henry VIII viciously murdered those still believing in orthodox religions. Following is where the creation of the Baptist religion was founded with Min. John Smyth in exile. Though used prior during the roman empire, this was also the heavy start of the "fish" symbol's use (I would explain it's use but this is not the forum to do so).

I say when you offer goodwill with nothing but the spirit of goodwill then it is none of your concern if someone takes offense. You did a nice thing, you meant it in a nice way so who cares what nutbags have to say? Here in Australia we are a pretty secular society with very little religious anything but we still make a big deal out of Christmas. It's not about this belief system or that - it's about joy and fun and making people smile. If that offends someone they need a check up.

And in the spirit of this goodwill, although I don't feel it necessary, I shall oblige your request to lock this thread.

But not without saying Happy Holidays to everyone!