G4's Armour Progress ....

Well i hope everyone has had a good Xmas break! :)

.... a while since i did an update on progress so here goes!

After finishing the Arms and Biceps, i started putting the Thighs together .... then ....

.... i decided to pull them apart!! Luckily i had been using Plastic Bond rather than Weld as i wanted to make sure i was happy with everthing, and by using Bond, i knew if i wasnt happy i would be able to get the pieces apart again without damaging them ;)

The reason for taking the thighs apart was because i have decided that i want to use the butt seam method to complete the Armour .... it is slightly more work but once you get into it i think its actually an easier method and looks much nicer?! B)

I have also decided that i will now take the Forearms and Biceps apart as well and join them using this method.

The first step was to slightly reshape the Thigh parts to fit my legs as im only 5ft 7", and to cut and trim the Seam parts ....

SSL20605.jpg

Next i used a metal ruler and a modelling knife to cut a straight line down the front and back of both Thigh parts ....

SSL20606.jpg

I then clamped the seam to the front on one half of the Thigh pieces and used a small modelling brush to run plastic weld down the inside and outside of the seam .... i then did the same on the back of the Thigh pieces ....

SSL20607.jpg

SSL20619.jpg

SSL20620.jpg

SSL20622.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I then joined the pieces together by clamping each end and, about 2 inches at a time, started running the plastic weld down the join and pushing the pieces together until the weld took hold.

I think they turned out pretty well .... Wadda ya think? :)

SSL20614.jpg

SSL20616.jpg

SSL20615.jpg

SSL20617.jpg

SSL20624.jpg

SSL20623.jpg

SSL20632.jpg

SSL20633.jpg

I then used the same method on the front of the left calf piece's ( have used velcro on the back to be able to get them on and off easier) ..... this was a right nightmare as the AP castings on the calf pieces are so bad!! :blink:

Still, after much filing and sanding i got it to work ok!

SSL20635.jpg

Again i clamped the seam on and ran weld on the inside and outside of the join ....

SSL20634.jpg

SSL20636.jpg

as i said i used velcro on the back ....

SSL20638.jpg

SSL20640.jpg

Again turned out ok i reckon ? .... i know the Seam looks a bit off centre at the top, but with the sniper plate on it looks fine!! B)

SSL20643.jpg

SSL20645.jpg

SSL20646.jpg

Then had to have a quick 'one legged' test fit!! Lol :lol:

SSL20641.jpg

Cheers Mark ;) .... what you been tweaking bud?

Just trying to make the fx kit a little better looking while i save up for a new suit in the new year.

I have just bought some smaller better looking handplates, so added straps to those. Also lowered the ammo pack on the thigh just a tad. I also cut the bicep's to be more like what we see on screen. And i wanted to remove the screws holding the shoulder straps on but will do that another day i think. Oh and i need to lower the back section to cover my butt more me thinks..

Oh and my Girlfriend splashed out and bought me an IND Kenner conversion Blster for Xmas!!!

Its proper lush and if you have the money and want a top notch Blaster then have a word with Justin (Itchy Nuts Designs) as he's a top bloke and couldnt be more helpfull! He even changed the paintwork for me as i wanted it slightly more Matt Black than he normally does! Fantastic! B)

SSL20631.jpg

SSL20630.jpg

SSL20629.jpg

SSL20647.jpg

Just trying to make the fx kit a little better looking while i save up for a new suit in the new year.

I have just bought some smaller better looking handplates, so added straps to those. Also lowered the ammo pack on the thigh just a tad. I also cut the bicep's to be more like what we see on screen. And i wanted to remove the screws holding the shoulder straps on but will do that another day i think. Oh and i need to lower the back section to cover my butt more me thinks..

Excellent, sounds good bud! :) Looks like you've been busy too!!

• 1 month later...

Ok Folks .... bit more progress to report on as havent done for a while ....

finished the right calf ....

Nintendo001.jpg

Nintendo002.jpg

Nintendo003.jpg

Attached the sniper plate to the left calf ....

Armour020.jpg

Armour021.jpg

Armour022.jpg

Attached the ammo strip to the right thigh ....

Armour025.jpg

Armour026.jpg

Armour027.jpg

Here they are finished together ....

Armour028.jpg

Also finished putting the belt together (thanks to Mark - FBJ, for the canvas belt!) ....

Armour030.jpg

Armour031.jpg

Armour029.jpg

All turned out pretty good i reckon? B)

Big thanks to Curtis, as following his thread for guidance has been proper helpfull :-)

WOW ace work there Graham,i forgot about this build of yours sorry mate.I must say now you have switched to plastic weld for your joins you will move along at a nice trot (Its good stuff isnt it?)

If you get any were is not wanted,and as its like water you may.use some wet and dry very fine grade paper on the burnt area .then with some novus plastic polish buff it.you will find that the error was never there.

Anyway best of luck in your remaining build ,looking good. ;) OHH move your drop boxes up so they almost touch your belt and as Alain said WHITE Elastic.

Thanks for the comments guys .... i'll change the strapping on the drop boxes when i get a minute! ;)

Have re-done the biceps today using the seam method .... looks better now i reckon? B)

Armour033.jpg

Armour032.jpg

Armour034.jpg

Yeah looks good, what have you got left to build? You must be nearly there now.

Cheers Mark ;) .... Its taken a while as i put the Armour together but then decided i wanted to use butt seams, so have basically had to do a lot of it again! :blink: ... Still, not to far away now, just need to add the strapping, build the 02 canister, and add the ab buttons etc? oh .. and make a few tweaks, like adding foam padding to the armour!

Then i can finally build the helmet B)

Finished the forearms again last night using seams this time, used velcro on one side though to make it easier to put them on ....

Armour036.jpg

Armour037.jpg

Armour038.jpg

Armour040.jpg

Hey there Graham,

Nice tutorial so far :) I too am building an AP set and I am up to joining the seams. I will be doing the butt seam join aswell, can you please tell me how wide are the seam strips are that you are cutting?

Thanks Dan

Hi Dan

Thanks mate, the seams im using are around 24mm .... if ya need any other bits gimme a shout! :-)

Graham.

• 1 month later...

Hey people! Not done an update for a while as been really busy with a new job and moving house so the Armour has been on hold for a while! <_<

Anyway .... been doing a bit more work on it this weekend and have started adding a strapping system and also decided to add foam strips to a.) make it more comfortable and b.) to help with the fit as I'm only little! :rolleyes:

I used a strip of elastic, and then glued and riveted it (with some small washers) to make the join on the AB section ....

SSL20687.jpg

On the other side i glued a strip of ABS with 4 Poppers, and then used 2 pieces of thick elastic and 4 Poppers on the other side to make a snap fit ....

SSL20690.jpg

SSL20691.jpg

I glued 4 pieces of 25mm black webbing to hold the butt section to the back ....

SSL20688.jpg

I glued a small piece of webbing to the butt to connect to the codpiece with a single popper ....

SSL20689.jpg

I then made some adjustable shoulder straps to hold the AB section on (like braces) ....

SSL20696.jpg

I used a single popper to hold some small straps from the AB section to the top of the thighs ....

SSL20692.jpg

Then i added foam strips to the forearms and the biceps along with the poppers on the shoulder bells ....

SSL20693.jpg

SSL20694.jpg

i also added foam strips to the thigh pieces to help fit my skinny legs! Lol :D

SSL20705.jpg

Looks like you looked at my thread... Lol...

Looks great, I wish I had more room and tools so I could have done the butt seam also. It looks more accurate up close. Can't wait to see it finished.

Curtis :D