My CFO ROTJ helmet is complete

Just finished this build today. The mic tips are not complete, as I am planning on purchasing some from Russrep. I also spent quite some time buffing the plastic to death to achieve an awesome shine. It was quite a lot of fun!

Here are some pics.

5.jpg

7.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

Overall, I am quite proud of it! :dance:

thank you all for the kind words. :)

This is my second helmet build, and I must say, I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do. Definitively a fun learning experience. The ear pieces where the trickiest parts to get right!

I must say, I was quite thrilled to discover the large 5'x4' piece of yellow foam laying out in my dad's garage, adds a nice touch of realism to the whole build.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Scott! I got to work right after I picked her up from the post office. Thanks again for the speedy shipment!

Here are my final images, complete with machined aluminum mic tips from Russ! Thanks man!

P1160027.jpg

P1150007.jpg

P1150008.jpg

P1160028.jpg

Edited by TKCaleb

• 1 month later...

Really awesome helmet!

I myself am building (still) a CFO bucket. First as a ROTJ and then turning it into a SE TD.

I really did a bad job on the frown... yours is inspiring.

You masked it and spray painted, right?

I am on my way to sand it off and repaint it. First time used a satin black and brush.

Next will be flat satin black and a thin layer of flat black over it. Both sprayed... and masking the frown for sure.

Do you think that would work?

Thx

Saludos

Really awesome helmet!

I myself am building (still) a CFO bucket. First as a ROTJ and then turning it into a SE TD.

I really did a bad job on the frown... yours is inspiring.

You masked it and spray painted, right?

I am on my way to sand it off and repaint it. First time used a satin black and brush.

Next will be flat satin black and a thin layer of flat black over it. Both sprayed... and masking the frown for sure.

Do you think that would work?

Thx

Saludos

Thank you Juan!

a SE sandy eh? That will be awesome! I dont think there are any currently, so I am sure it would be thrilling to be one of the first!

As for the frown, yes I masked it off using painters pin striping tape. You can buy some of this tape at hobby stores and possibly specialty paint shops. I also painted the frown using a quality synthetic brush, not spray paint.

It took me awhile to get the frown right, I looked at A LOT of images of the original ROTJ helmets and carefully plotted out where to mask it off. If there was anything I was more concerned about with the build, it was surely the frown.

I also used a blend of two different paint finishes. Both paints were the same brand and color, except one was matte and the other semi-gloss. I mixed equal amounts together to form a sheen which was more so a "correct" satin finish. Of course in the photos the black paint looks a bit like semi-gloss due to the flash and all, but in reality it looks dull. I also suggest that even if the black is to shiny, dont go over it with a matte paint, just use a deglosser (liquid which removes sheen off a paint surface) or fine sand paper to scuff out the sheen. It would look much more realistic!

Also, the first time I painted the frown, it looked like ****. I did not sand down the paint job, but applied a paint stripper which was safe on plastic. It worked very well, but took A LONG time to work into the paint. I would suggest picking up some of that! I believe it is made by testors..again that too should be found also at a hobby shop!

Good luck man!

Edited by TKCaleb