Aker amp adaptor wire with throat mic question

Hello,

I was wondering, as I know it been thrown around with differing points of views on the matter, but I was thinking about getting a throat mic and use it with the Aker amp. Just straight wire it, not through a static box or anything just a straight hookup since my helmet at the moment don't have any of the bells and whistles as to speak of of.

But, I had a question when I was looking at throat microphones, particularly one I had in mind the IASUS NT3 Throat Mic, that it had many different adapters. My problem is which one of these would work as I hope someone out their with the same kind of idea or an already in place system like this can shade some light on this as when I look at the headset that came with Aker I noticed it only has one strip that is black, that I presume is the ground.

Any help with this matter is appreciated as I hope this works for the headset starting to become a bother, especially when i take my helmet off and on and have to constantly try to re-adjust the mic piece among the headset in my clone helmet is pretty much a losing battle due to how close my face is the visor.

Any help will help me out allot with not only this costume but other costumes as well I had in mind.

Here a list of adpators that IASUS has, as I figured it would be a single pin jack as I kind of leaning towards the Iphone one but I don't have an Iphone to match it up to, have a Droid.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

• 1 month later...

I too am interested in this.

Any news or luck getting it to work?

I got a throat mic but it is too small to fit the iComm or Aker amp (3.5 mm jacks I believe). Even if the 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adaptor works, I fear it might need powering from the amp to function..

• 2 weeks later...

I have the straight Aker 10W and iCOMM combo. I added a small MP3 player and run the TK loop through it. Had a troop last weekend at Texas A&M college and once I found the right volumes and levels, it was awesome. People could hear me, the static bursts, and the MP3 playing the TK loop. I had thought about a MEM wireless mic and even a throat mic but have since decided to stick with this straight forward setup.

I had massive feedback problems anytime I placed my bucket on with the Aker/iComm setup mounted in my chest. I have since moved the setup into the backplate, and the feedback is much better. The only disadvantage to this is my inablity to adjust volume once I'm armored-up. While in the chest, the Aker's volume was readily accessible, but the level was not due to feedback.

-T

• 1 month later...

I setup the throat mic and it worked great with the iComm. After rewiring the jack for the throat mic, the only two problems I had/have is controlling the volume of the static burst compared to the microphone and the VOX of the iComm when moving my head too much with the throat mic under the neck seal. The system worked great until I had the neck seal rubbing the throat mic every time I moved and it was thinking I was starting to talk.. thus, I had to use the PTT feature and then all was fine using the throat mic under the neck seal..

Here's something I learnt. Once I found the "correct" volume on the Aker. I painted a white line on the volume knob. That way I know how to be consistent (white line matching a white circle) with the volume everytime I turned it on.

if you are getting feedback then you're mic is too close, and your volume is too high.

Or your amp is up too high in your chest. I lowered mine quite a bit almost under the ab.... and feedback wasn't as bad. YMMV

Aloha,

-Eric

Because LFL says so. There are tons of rules in place due to licensing restrictions etc. Just one of those things.

O Duh, That makes perfect sense, that didn't even occur to me!

On 3/31/2012 at 8:02 AM, Dougherty.D said:

What is the reason for that?

Actually, the guy who made them all (Skutch aka daniel) put a lot of work into making them. He has made versions for a variety of costumes. So he wanted them kept private and not publicly distributed. Plus he figured troopers would not use it until their armor was complete so they would be approved 501st members by then. You have to be a legion member to access the forum so that naturally protects his hard work yet gives access to those ready to troop.

Here is a link to his posting when you are ready...

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working