Vacuum Forming and Drying Plastics

I am new to the form. I have been making armor for my friends for the last few years. I just made some brand new molds, and they are the best molds I have ever made. In the past I have only used HIPS for the plastic. I now bought ABS plastic for my new armor.

When I frist tried out the plastic on my vacuum former I got tiny little air bubbles. My vacuum former is fully automated and I was afraid I was over heating the plastic. I called around and learned that needed to dry the plastic before I used it. If you do not dry the plastic, then you get tiny little bubble and it will no longer be smooth. I have been talking with Andrew you made the amor for the movies. He is a super nice guy. He explained how he made a drying oven for his plastic. (If you want to see his emails and explanation , let me know and I will post them.)

I was to making an oven to dry my plastic. Does anybody know how or does any body have a process they would like to share?

I found this link to make an oven. Let me know what you think.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I heard that with ABS u need to let the plastic sit or simply air out for a couple days to let all the fumes of the making of it get released, before u try vaccuforming it. You should talk to TM, ATA and AM about this they all work with ABS.

I heard that with ABS u need to let the plastic sit or simply air out for a couple days to let all the fumes of the making of it get released, before u try vaccuforming it. You should talk to TM, ATA and AM about this they all work with ABS.

I am not sure how to contact these people. Could you tell me how. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

ABS needs to be dried first, it absorbs moisture from the air so air drying doesn't work.This is why school vacforming will use HIPS instead of ABS, it is easier to vacform.

My local vacforming shop will dry the ABS in their ovens before I buy it off them. The ovens are on 24/7 as it is a fairly busy place.I was fairly surprised just how long they put the sheets in for.

Edited by Lone wolf

• 4 months later...

I have yet to build a drying oven myself but have talked to many plastics manufacturers. Main thing is to make an oven that can sustain 275 degrees F. The ABS will need about 24 hours of drying time at that temperature.

A simple slatted "hot box" heated by a halogen lamp(s) made of wood or metal was what I was going to try.

Edited by elkamino

I use my ABS direct from the supply company. If you leave it days before using it it will absorb moisture then you will need to dry it. Over here the supply companies tend to keep it in dry rooms so it can be used straight away.