Prescription Lenses for Helmet

I've heard of people getting prescription lenses for their helmets, and as a wearer of glasses, I prefer them to contact lenses.

I know scuba divers get them for their masks, so why not TK's?

Does anyone have a source or a way to do this?

I would think if sunglasses can be routinely ground to prescription, so can these. A guy in my garrison had a set made and loves them, but he also said they weren't cheap (he didn't say how much he paid for them). Best to talk to your local optician / glasses store, and describe what it is you are trying to do. I'd take a set of helmet lenses with you to give them an idea of the shape and color you need.

I wear corrective lenses. The problem I see is if your prescription changes you will need to invest in another set of lenses. Also, how would it effect if the lense is bubble for "Hero" and "Flat" for "Stunt" It is like taking your glasses and slanting them. When you do it, things start to become blurred. Also, sometimes when the lense is made it is not right and have to be made again? Also, when installing the lense into the helmet how is it going to be installed? Glue, tape or some type of holding device? If the lense gets damaged, is it insured or will the person have to pay a fee to replace it? Swimming and diving glasses are designed to be more secure and fitted to the individual. While our helmets depending on what is used inside are not designed and secured as well. Just my thoughts.

Andy

I do have contacts. But over the past few years I've pretty much quit wearing them. There's just too much dirt and dust where I work so I can't wear them there. My regular glasses tint dark when outside so I don't need contacts while driving anymore (to wear sunglasses). Nowadays I only keep the prescription for trooping.

I was thinking of trying someway to attach a set of my old prescription lenses to the inside of my bucket lenses. My bucket is pretty tight so the lenses wouldn't be but about a half inch or so from my eyes. Which would work but I'm not sure how you would attach them to the inside of the bucket lenses. My bucket lenses are pretty dark so I don't think you would be able to see them from outside the helmet. James, what exactly do you mean by elastic strip? I'm not talking out using the frames. Just the lenses.

Any ideas?

Well, while just trying to put my helmet on with a pair of my old glasses--I broke the frames.....I guess worrying about messing up an old pair of glasses is academic now. The lenses pop right out of the frame also. I guess I'm commited to this idea now.

But how to attach them? If I could make this work it would be awesome. I could save a few hundred dollars a year on contacts.

Help me out guys!!!

get a set of sport glasses like basketball players wear.

soft frame.

wear those inside your lid.

zoom_thumbnail.jpg

they are called zoom RX

LINK with prescription upload.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392
  • Like 1

Rather than getting custom lenses, perhaps they can be mounted behind the TK lenses. You'd have to craft a mount for them - perhaps just some putty or sculpty. Ideally the frames would be intact I think and you'd break off the side stems and then just create a mount for the nose bridge.

I think the hard geometry part is that your glasses are designed to be close to your eyes, so maybe something spring loaded?

I have prescription lenses installed in my helmet which i took from my old set of glasses. Figure out where they go in relation to you eyes and use hot glue but use the kind that dry's clear and you do not need much to hold them in. Mount them directly to the bucket lenses (dunno about bubble kinds though) You cannot see them from the outside either and as far as the prescription changing, don't worry about it. Unless your sight radically changes just make do with a weaker prescription. If you get new glasses just rotate the old lenses to the helmet.

My Helmet is an ATA so the installed lenses sit in almost the same position as glasses do. Works great.

In 18 months I have only redone the glue once. I will snap photo or two after work and post them up this evening.

Edited by redcoat

• 5 years later...
On 11/21/2011 at 3:16 PM, TK bondservnt said:

get a set of sport glasses like basketball players wear.

soft frame.

wear those inside your lid.

zoom_thumbnail.jpg

they are called zoom RX

LINK with prescription upload.

God idea! I have an ancient pair of Rec Specs from when I played ice hockey (goalie). When my kit arrives I'll check whether that pair fits. 
Unfortunately, Lenscrafters don't carry Rec Specs any more; $100 for a pair was worth it. 
Go to your local ice hockey equipment dealer to get fog juice. Apply it like car wax before every troop, and probably on the inside of the helmet lenses too! 

Oh, the old link was busted. This is a newer offering from the same site: 
http://www.goodglasses.com/T-Zone-Prescription-Sport-Goggle-_p_493.html

Edited by Timberwoof
  • Like 1

Thanks!  I'm going to see my eye doctor next week, this is a good idea as I have trouble getting my glasses comfortably under my lid.

God idea! I have an ancient pair of Rec Specs from when I played ice hockey (goalie). When my kit arrives I'll check whether that pair fits. 
Unfortunately, Lenscrafters don't carry Rec Specs any more; $100 for a pair was worth it. 
Go to your local ice hockey equipment dealer to get fog juice. Apply it like car wax before every troop, and probably on the inside of the helmet lenses too! 

Oh, the old link was busted. This is a newer offering from the same site: 
http://www.goodglasses.com/T-Zone-Prescription-Sport-Goggle-_p_493.html
Thank you , great idea. I have managed to get it on , wearing my sports specs, but still tight in the lid. I'll try my swimming goggles. Lol

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk