Is EIB slowly becoming obsolete?

When I was building my armor I decided to go right for Centurion from the get go. After I paint my vocoder and apply for EIB.... I'll be a few hand painted bucket decals and a new blaster away from Centurion.

With the recent spate of folks applying for Centurion the same day they get their EIB badge.... it makes me wonder if EIB will eventually just fade away.

Or does this mean that Centurion is too easily attainable and standards should be shuffled/swapped/upped?

I'm not suggesting that EIB should disappear, just an observation from recent approvals.

Aloha,

-Eric

I think if you compare the overall amount of stormtrooper fans who wear TK and TD just to be part of the 501st to the ones whos attention to detail leads them to EIB and ultimately Centurion, I think you will find that the number of "regular" troopers far outweighs the ones that choose to be "elite". There are those who choose EIB but say "oh, Centurion, shmenturion. This is good enough."

I always ask myself at every troop why I see so much FX armor I do because that is what those people chose to do and good for them for doing it!!! If that is what they want out of this experience...so be it.

Then there are those who take it to the next level...spending the extra time and $$$ to look like they just came off the set. For that, I think that level of dedication deserves some kind of recognition. Bottom line is that we are all on the same team. If you have incredible armor, believe me, others take notice. The fact that more and more troopers want others to take notice of them says something of their level of dedication. They should be rewarded.

• Like 1

True. There are tons of folks out there in FX kits having a great time and overall looking good doing it. A little kid's mind will be just as blown when he runs into 6 troopers in FX than if he saw 6 centurions walking down the road.

My observation was in no way meant to cast aspersions on non EIB/Centurion troopers.

Really what I'm wondering.... in the wake of the recent 3-4 folks who applied for Centurion the same day as EIB... is it possible that EIB could go by the wayside someday?

The same day EIB/Centurion phenomenon is a testament to the trooper's (who chose to spend time on FISD and go the extra distance) dedication to the standards FISD maintains.

Aloha,

-Eric

I think if you compare the overall amount of stormtrooper fans who wear TK and TD just to be part of the 501st to the ones whos attention to detail leads them to EIB and ultimately Centurion, I think you will find that the number of "regular" troopers far outweighs the ones that choose to be "elite". There are those who choose EIB but say "oh, Centurion, shmenturion. This is good enough."

I always ask myself at every troop why I see so much FX armor I do because that is what those people chose to do and good for them for doing it!!! If that is what they want out of this experience...so be it.

Then there are those who take it to the next level...spending the extra time and $$$ to look like they just came off the set. For that, I think that level of dedication deserves some kind of recognition. Bottom line is that we are all on the same team. If you have incredible armor, believe me, others take notice. The fact that more and more troopers want others to take notice of them says something of their level of dedication. They should be rewarded.

Eib can never just go away. I speak of this because I am in this boat. I worked my butt off(literlaly) for a year just to fit into my armor. I still have just under an inch gap on my sides. I may not get centurion because of this and would understand why. But do I think that I deserve EIB....yes. If EIB was eliminated then I think there would be a lot of disappointed people who worked very hard to acheive what they did.

• Like 1

Really what I'm wondering.... in the wake of the recent 3-4 folks who applied for Centurion the same day as EIB... is it possible that EIB could go by the wayside someday?

No I don't think so. Those that apply for centurion the same time as EIB are the ones that built their kit *for* centurion, but as it is today, you *must* have EIB before centurion, so as a result of that, you apply for centurion as soon as you have EIB approval. I don't think we'll see so many upgrade from EIB to centurion as we'll see people build for centurion intentionally.

Those that already had centurion ready armour before it even existed had that because they went above and beyond EIB and today have centurion, or they don't bother to apply. I may be the first awarded centurion, but not the first one with an armour worthy the title. But it was some really small changes I had to do, and nothing big because I built my kit with all the EIB "should have". Which is kind of what centurion really is, but instead of "should have" those things are "must have".

I did think it was kind of weird/funny too that there had been so many centurion applications all the sudden. As Mathias said though its not really people who are upgrading their armor from EIB to centurion, they most likely came into it all with centurion armor but you need your EIB before centurion. Its exactly what I would of done after getting my EIB since I built my armor to centurion specifications from the start. I was thinking I could just apply strait for centurion but was then told I needed to put an application in for EIB. So I actually applied for centurion before EIB :P. I don't think that EIB will go by the wayside, but I think its really not as hard to get centurion as some people think. I was going to be happy either way just by being in the 501st but I still wanted to try for centurion. Even if I ended up not getting centurion, I still would of been happy with my suit though. The thing with centurion is more attention to the little details. So while I believe centurion is fairly easy to achieve, its if the person is able and willing to take the extra time to make it centurion. I'm sure there will always be an EIB and centurion.

Remember there are 2339 TKs in the Legion and only 190 EIB. So at the moment we have reached out to 8% of the Legion's TKs. I know there are people all over the Legion (I see it in my own garrison too) who are one mod away from EIB but just don't want to take the plunge. That's OK in my book because of indirect exposure to the EIB program from garrison mates they are a cut above the Legion base requirements.

Another bonus is that because of the EIB program since it's launch five years ago things like black tube stripes, the over sized and/or miscolored ab buttons, silver detonator decals, and plastic belts are no longer Legion acceptable for new members. Just like all costumes in the Legion the standards are ever evolving. In another five years I could see almost all the EIB requirements being Legion minimum which would make for a bunch of great looking TKs.

Well I think there will always be an EIB. If you think about it EIB is a more idealized Centurion. I prefer the EIB look of plastic hand guards and shoulder straps that are attached to the backplate which is why I've chosen not to persue Centurion. Just like some people like smooth helmets and some people like bumpys.

^ That's an interesting point... obviously, there's a big difference between idealized accuracy compared to movie prop accuracy. Was Centurion always aimed at prop accuracy from inception?

My next goal is EIB... and perhaps Centurion in the future. :)

EI was meant to be the same thing as MEPD Police Officer status - a path for those who want to go above the "FX out of the box" that was normal in the Legion but not so far that it would be very hard to do or very expensive (like Lancer was). So we picked a happy path that got rid of low hanging fruit (ab buttons, belts, tube stripes, etc.). And that's all EI is meant to be - a place for those looking to go above Legion minimums without having to obtain a lot of $$ or spend hours sweating over little details.

While this was great and has helped the look of TK's in the Legion over-all, we also realized that there were those that wanted to go even further - to sweat out the little details in their suits. For film canon, yes this is down the path of prop replication but we have a bunch of EU suits too, so it had to work for them as well.

Centurion is meant to be about as far as you can go on a Legion approved suit. There is a point at which prop replication becomes unacceptable from a Legion standpoint and thus we can't cross that line being a 501st detachment. Not only does is give a path and recognition for those who want the highest levels in accuracy, but it also like EI provides a path forward. Some may choose to go all the way, some just a few of the details.

As most already know that for the films there were a lot of short cuts taken and these suits were only meant to be seen as background or for a few seconds at a time. As Legion members though we're spending hours in suits with people looking at us from 5' away, so prop replication can only be taken so far. People want us to replicate what they see on screen during the move, not how it looked when viewed on a Blue-ray freeze frame on a 80" screen.

Close yes, but not quite all the way.

Does that help?

MEPD got to 33% of sandtroopers being deployed before they upped their Police Officer requirements, and EI is only at 8%. We have a loooooong way to go.

I'm in the same boat as Steve. Too fat for Centurion at the moment. Haha.

Luis, why is being a big boy a problem, I too am a big bloke and will be applying for EIB and Centurion status in the early part of 2012. Just have a Blaster and boot issue. Nothing is stated in the CRL regarding the size of a trooper. As long as you meet the red criteria, why should you not be granted the status. To not give a person who ticks all the boxes the status just simply because of their size would be discrimination and I don't think that apply's here as most people who give a damn strive to be as accurate as possible. Tall, small, fat, thin - the status is open to everyone. Please correct me if I am wrong ....

As you can see, all I need to do is get a "D" ring for my SDS blaster for EIB

and I need to change my boots for Centurion as they are CA boots but am currently working on something at the mo, and add a snap to my AB plate

299196_10150414053773373_674158372_10151849_262568266_n-2.jpg

left.jpg

back.jpg

right.jpg

Edited by Graeme1972

As long as it's done properly. A big trooper may need a bigger kit, and those usually come with their own special modifications to become centurion eligible.

Luis, why is being a big boy a problem, I too am a big bloke and will be applying for EIB and Centurion status in the early part of 2012. Just have a Blaster and boot issue. Nothing is stated in the CRL regarding the size of a trooper. As long as you meet the red criteria, why should you not be granted the status. To not give a person who ticks all the boxes the status just simply because of their size would be discrimination and I don't think that apply's here as most people who give a damn strive to be as accurate as possible. Tall, small, fat, thin - the status is open to everyone. Please correct me if I am wrong ....

As you can see, all I need to do is get a "D" ring for my SDS blaster for EIB

and I need to change my boots for Centurion as they are CA boots but am currently working on something at the mo, and add a snap to my AB plate

I have the ATA ABS armor and the way I built it, my side gaps are too big at the moment for Centurion. I really don't want to go about adding any shimming to it, so I'll just have to lose the weight. I'm not in any rush and my armor is up to Centurion standards, it's just my gut that isn't.

Here is CMANavy - all 6'4" and 260lbs in TE armor if you can believe it. Looks good to me.

Burnedfullbody.jpg

Here is his photobucket with more pix: http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/CMANavy/TD/

in fact, he looks better than some of the smaller troopers next to him.

PICT0014.jpg

I have the ATA ABS armor and the way I built it, my side gaps are too big at the moment for Centurion. I really don't want to go about adding any shimming to it, so I'll just have to lose the weight. I'm not in any rush and my armor is up to Centurion standards, it's just my gut that isn't.

I hear you bro.... I have to admit I am on a bit of a weight loss programme myself, but I have had the sides of my AM extended so that they do meet, but with the weight loss, my armour is starting to become a little baggy and will need the sides trimming down soon. Hopefully one day I will be wearing that glossy white of TM but untill then I am loving my AM (TM LId Though )

• 1 month later...

I currently have an FX suit, and have build it to the best of the specifications as i can, but you cant really go more than just approved with the kit... BUT i have a TM kit coming in, in February and I'm gonna build for Centurion, so the EIB will be nothing more than a stepping stone for this kit. Although I do believe my current FX kit, could be made EIB approvable, with some effort, but i just dont want to go that extra mile with a FX, when it will never be able to make it to the Finish line of a Centurion.

Also i have noticed that the TB's only have two types of costume standards. The Pathfinder and the Lancer, so there it seem like they have cut out the middle costume and and gone for all or nothing...so to speak...

And can big guys be Centurions??? Yes ofcourse. One of the first things i read on the 501st main page, is that there will be NO discrimination on peoples build, and its all about the costumes being correct and not the people behind them being of correct size.

Just my two cents :)

• 10 months later...

Interesting to see how the topic was about the question if EIB was becoming obsolete and slowly turned into the question if bigger troopers could reach Centurion :)

I received my EIB status today and I couldn't be happier. My armor is mostly built to go Centurion as well but because of some mistakes in the build, that will have to wait until they're fixed. They will be fixed, no doubt, but if we did it correct the first time, I would have copied the pictures and pasted them in a Centurion application today as well.

I am 6'1" and weigh about 185 lbs (ok, maybe 190 at the moment lol). Most of my weight is carried on my waist (my arms and legs are quite thin, my pants size is 34-36 (varies) but my waist is 42-44, just to give you an idea). I am currently sporting an AP armor which is a bit on the smaller side and it shows. We will try to fix it and get it all the way up to Centurion but if the size issue remains, then it's no Centurion for me, at least not in the AP armor.

So, with that, if I indeed will not be able to fix the size issue with the armor and it would prevent me from getting Centurion, I am very happy that I can at least carry the EIB badge so, in that sense, I wouldn't call the EIB obsolete at all :)

Either way, I will still try to get the armor done according to Centurion standards, it's just the size that is kind of worrying me at the moment.

Edited by svache

Interesting to see how the topic was about the question if EIB was becoming obsolete and slowly turned into the question if bigger troopers could reach Centurion :)

I received my EIB status today and I couldn't be happier. My armor is mostly built to go Centurion as well but because of some mistakes in the build, that will have to wait until they're fixed. They will be fixed, no doubt, but if we did it correct the first time, I would have copied the pictures and pasted them in a Centurion application today as well.

I am 6'1" and weigh about 185 lbs (ok, maybe 190 at the moment lol). Most of my weight is carried on my waist (my arms and legs are quite thin, my pants size is 34-36 (varies) but my waist is 42-44, just to give you an idea). I am currently sporting an AP armor which is a bit on the smaller side and it shows. We will try to fix it and get it all the way up to Centurion but if the size issue remains, then it's no Centurion for me, at least not in the AP armor.

So, with that, if I indeed will not be able to fix the size issue with the armor and it would prevent me from getting Centurion, I am very happy that I can at least carry the EIB badge so, in that sense, I wouldn't call the EIB obsolete at all :)

Either way, I will still try to get the armor done according to Centurion standards, it's just the size that is kind of worrying me at the moment.

What exactly is it that is keeping you from Centurion?

With so few people going for EIB I doubt it'll ever just go away. We're still not at 300 EIB's which isn't very many of us when you think of how many 501st approved there are. This is just my observation. From my less than 1 year of service to the Empire. Yeah, I'm still very new and shiny!

Well I'll chime in. The CRLs seem to be changing here and there. I'm still a newb. I just got my digits in October and I sport AM. I'm a skinny guy and the chest and back are going to prevent centurion for me unless I replace them. I still haven't found those money tree seeds there here somewhere. Well that or cut the crow out of them and risk being the deformed trooper or fubared all together and I'd have to cut a lot! I'm 5'11-1/2" 159lb. Then there's the sticky situation of the rivets. Right now filled and painted poppers of the correct size will do. Well from what I can tell truss/bifurcated with photo graphic proof is coming down the pike. Then the shoulder bells will be obsolete soon as well. AM is working on their molds and it is going to be better no doubt. But as a new guy I'd say yeah I'd love to have TM or CFO or RS props but when it gets down to it the wait time and money are a big deal too. ATA makes a great product I sport his lid because the AM was just too big (and also soon to be obsolete until the new armor appears I feel) poor big head guys. When I bought my armor time and cost where a big deal. I'd chosen between ATA or AM and sent those emails. ATA was the new guy and AM where the 2 I had chosen. I contacted both and AM could ship within a day of PayPal confirmation and ATA had a 16-18 week wait. Well that was long winded! Yes I will be one of the few and proud EIB in my garrison and hopefully a centurion with a new AM chest, back, and bells! Yeah I understand it symmetrical and stylized but there's something to say about roots. The one that started it all is the first vetted maker to be disqualified from more than basic qualification? That's the top of my soapbox so I'll step down now.

With unquestioned loyalty

Tk-52637

I fall into the Centurion, shemnturion category. I'll go for EIB, because I'm pretty sure mine is built to that standard anyway, but I will likely never go for Centurion.

I'm sure I won't have much to fix when I submit for EIB and looking over the CRLs, I think I'm only missing all the visible rivets, the visible crotch snaps, the 1 visible ab snap, and I used pop rivets for my thigh ammo pack, everything else is to Centurion standard...

...but, I know this won't be a popular opinion, but to me the visible rivets detract from the overall look of the suit so I didn't put them on. I know they are screen accurate, I won't ever argue that, but I just don't care for them. They chip away at the suspension of disbelief for me, they don't look like they belong on an advanced set of body armor and they make it look more like a costume hastily thrown together to film a movie that the directors and producers never imagined would be looked at still by still 30 years later in high definition by a rabid fan base who wants to painstakingly duplicate every detail.

Of course I'd also like a completely symmetrical helmet without the look of hand painted details so you can just ignore most of what I say and dismiss me as a crazy person. :blink:

So anyway. I hope the EIB doesn't go away as I think it does produce a better standard suit that should be recognized without going the fully screen accurate route.