Newbie armor build- arm and leg building questions

Beren

I just got my AP armor and am busy learning how to trim my armor pieces. I've begun with the arms and legs.

What is the preferred way to connect the arms and legs? Should I use a butt joint and shim, or should I overlap using the existing mold? Pros and cons for either???

Once the fronts are glued together, how do you determine what the ideal fit should be for the backs?

one of the things that helped me a lot was to look at the photos of FISD Expert Infantryman and Centurion program. it shows pics from all four sides, which was really helpful for me, and many details for reference. a very good tool!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

With the AP kit you will notice the two halves of the thighs don't really line up very well top and bottom. More so on the right.

Make sure you line up the top as the bottom will be obscured by the 'power cell' strip at the bottom.

For ease? Use the overlap but make sure the overlap on top is at least 20mm wide.

The back may need a butt and cover strip as using the overlap will result in a very wide thigh piece.

If you want to go accurate then trim the overlap strip of each half to 10mm width but remember that its a curved piece so you might be wise to lay a strip of masking tape along the overlap as a trim guide to match the contour.

Once you've glued and cured the front of each thigh piece you should put them on and have a friend or spouse help you to tape them together according to your own leg size.

Remove them (still securely taped) and draw a line straight down the middle. This will be your cut line and as you're cutting the excess from both pieces at the same time they should match a treat. Glue a cover strip and hey presto.

Thats how I do it and so far more than 4 suits in I've had no beef.

I also glue some reinforcing tabs on the top and bottom inside to add strength.

Thank you all for the advice! As I am going for accuracy, I will use the butt joint and cover strip method.

I am still confused about how snug to make each piece fit. Some of the reference pictures I have seen show armor pieces fitting very loosely. Is this normal or should the pieces fit closer to the arms and legs?