Bending ABS .... any tips?

Hi all,

i just got my half assembled AP kit not to long ago. I so happy, and cant wait to finish it.

Most of the part fits me perfectly. but there were a few parts that i have to trim and re size to fit me better.

1st :

The ab plate seem to curve a bit wide, perhaps the person that owned the kit before me was a bit bigger than me.

does anyone have any tips on how to bend the ABS plastic so it would wrap around my body better without damaging

the armor itself?

2nd:

The thigh armor was too long and too big for me, i have researched ways on trimming it to make it shorter, but i'm

having trouble on how to make it smaller because the two pieces are glued together with ABS glue, is there any

type of solvent or any way to take the glue apart so i cab re size it to fit my thigh better ?

i would appreciate all the help i could get, i found this website to be really helpful. hope to get some tips and insights.

Thanks a whole bunch..

Cheers

#1: The ab plates are just sort of the size that they are. You can try heating it with a heat gun to bend it but there's a high risk of damaging it. I'd be more inclined to just put a little padding in it than try to reshape it. Side note: I wish I had that problem of it being too big!

#2: ABS cement is basically a weld, it's not coming off without cutting the armor apart. If you have enough extra room you can just slice out a section of the back then glue down a new cover strip over the seam in the back.

If you want to bend your armour then use a hairdryer. I had to bend mine to fit it around my waist and that's what was used. Use an up down motion (Or side to side or even circular) to heat it up. Just make sure you keep it moving so you don't get any hot-spots and the plastic can bubble. Then just bend it slowly. Once it's in position, hold it there untill it cools enough to set.

I actually prefer a hair dryer to a heat gun. It takes a bit longer, but a heat gun can really destroy plastic if you aren't extremely carful.

Are you sure it was glued together with ABS glue? Thats pretty strong stuff! Not sure about getting that apart without doing some cutting. If it's E-6000 glue, you might have an easier time taking the pieces apart.

thank you all for the advice, for bending the armor i'll try to use the hair dryer method or the boiling water.

as for the thigh piece, im sure that its ABS glue cause the previous owner told me so, so i guess ill have to

try to find another way to take them apart. Thanks a lot you guys, this helps a lot....... im so thankful for this

website, its awsome..

If you post a pic up of the thigh pieces we may be able to see how you could open them.

If it is ABS welded, then they've since fused yes.

But even then, depending on the armour joins (screen accurate strips or butted), if butted a stanley blade and a lot of careful cutting in between the 2 pieces can eventually separate them.

Very tricky job that could cause you to lose a finger. Not recommended but possible.