Underarmor cold gear. Why does mine not work?

Being new to trooping, I have yet to experience trooping under all conditions. I am participating in two troops around thanksgiving and bought some Underarmor compression cold gear. The guy at the store said that this stuff was the bomb! He said, " I went out in single digit temps wearing only this and I was fine!" I tried it out last night for Halloween. It was in the low 30's here in the Chicago area. I froze. Now I am freaking out. My forearms and bicep armor parts are tight enough with one layer I can't imagine wearing two.

am I missing something or did I get hosed?

the under armor is designed to keep body heat in. So you need to be constantly moving to create the extra body heat. I use to wear it for football in chicago, and you're right it doesn't do the trick to "just keep you warm" You have to create body heat in order for it to really serve it's purpose. Under Armor now makes a tougher cold weather gear you can get from Army supply magazine that i've seen

What trooperchewy said. Remember that this is athletic wear... it's meant for football players and such. If you are moving around it's pretty good. We do a couple of cold weather parades every year. I'm always freezing during the lineup/wait stage, but once we start walking I'm OK.

I brought some in the off chance I'd get armor. But have only ever used it for Football (Real term for soccer :) ).

Ā 

Cold Gear is gear made for the cold. You use and wear Cold Gear in colder temperatures. The apparel functions differently than heat gear does. Cold Gear has a thicker material and is made to keep body heat trapped insulated (without OVER heating).

Ā 

Heat Gear, on the other hand, is made for hotter temperatures & conditions. It is a lighter, thinner material meant to keep the body cool.

All u have to do is move around. Even if u use the outfits that mountain climbers or researchers use in the Artic and the poles, and u dont move around u will freeze. the material is made to retain the warm from your body longer but it doesnt keep it perpetually. u need to move around.

UA works great when you have something blocking the wind - however it has no wind resistance and thus any breeze you freeze. Fortunately this is true in summer - when standing with no breeze you can be very hot, but a little breeze will make it seem much cooler.