E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

It looks like the Uber Capacitors are a hit!    Cheers guys  :)   I'll go update the order list.  

It's such a shame to spray them black but I'll be making sure some of the Uber text can be seen by only lightly spraying the areas that can be seen by looking though the gap between the baseplate and the Outer Cylinders. 

And, since it doesn't look like the propmakers sprayed underneath things, you'll be able to see the grey & brown undersides of the end bungs too.

Cheers, Andy

:blink::shok::56pullhair: Oh my god....how awesome is that ....I'm really looking forward to see the end result and oh yeaaaaah..to hold this 'little' piece of art in my hands :icon_beg::icon_bow:

Thanks for your update, Andy :):jc_doublethumbup:

It's such a shame to spray them black but I'll be making sure some of the Uber text can be seen by only lightly spraying the areas that can be seen by looking though the gap between the baseplate and the Outer Cylinders. 

And, since it doesn't look like the propmakers sprayed underneath things, you'll be able to see the grey & brown undersides of the end bungs too.

Yap...I agree with you..it's a shame to overpaint this...make it so..I think it looks good, like you said.

Edited by DarthChridan

As promised over in the sales thread, some photos of the first zinc-plated sets fitted with Uber capacitors.  

I got a bit carried away with polishing one of the sets but it just looked so shiny & pretty!  :blink:

First without the rear components:

SolderedSets6_zpsdb858fb8.jpg

Then fully assembled:

SolderedSets0_zps6c19e3b1.jpg

SolderedSets1b_zps2947ce93.jpg

The printing on the underside of the capacitors is what I'm aiming to leave showing after painting.  For example, the "METALMITE" will be showing on this set:

SolderedSets3b_zps3d9d1e10.jpg

You can see the internal cylinder through the rear vent slit in the next 2 photos:

SolderedSets2_zpsd6d596c3.jpg

& the text on this side which should be slightly visible after painting. The mounting nut is partially blocking it but it says "TYPE CP30S"

SolderedSets4_zps11df6124.jpg

It's a small thing but I really like the mounting hole (bottom left of the baseplate) on this set.   I think I need to get out more!!!  :huh: 

SolderedSets5b_zpsca30d94a.jpg

Next job is painting them, but that's another day...

Cheers, Andy 

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub
  • Like 1

As promised over in the sales thread, some photos of the first zinc-plated sets fitted with Uber capacitors.  

I got a bit carried away with polishing one of the sets but it just looked so shiny & pretty!  :blink:

First without the rear components:

SolderedSets6_zpsdb858fb8.jpg

Then fully assembled:

SolderedSets0_zps6c19e3b1.jpg

SolderedSets1b_zps2947ce93.jpg

The printing on the underside of the capacitors is what I'm aiming to leave showing after painting.  For example, the "METALMITE" will be showing on this set:

SolderedSets3b_zps3d9d1e10.jpg

You can see the internal cylinder through the rear vent slit in the next 2 photos:

SolderedSets2_zpsd6d596c3.jpg

& the text on this side which should be slightly visible after painting. The mounting nut is partially blocking it but it says "TYPE CP30S"

SolderedSets4_zps11df6124.jpg

It's a small thing but I really like the mounting hole (bottom left of the baseplate) on this set.   I think I need to get out more!!!  :huh:

SolderedSets5b_zpsca30d94a.jpg

Next job is painting them, but that's another day...

Cheers, Andy 

:blink:  :shok:  what can I say......I'm totally wet :lol:

Hi Andy, it's awesome to see these coming together :)

Why on earth did the prop guys paint them black! Couldn't they have made the sterlings silver to match these, lol.

It truly is a shame to have to paint them.

I do like the resistors at the back, the hole is nice too. ;)

Cheers Mark.....TK222

Why on earth did the prop guys paint them black! Couldn't they have made the sterlings silver to match these, lol.

Actually my understanding is that they did make a silver version.  The Royal Armouries in Leeds (UK) have a chromed version that Bapty gave them.  It was marked as having been made for Star Wars but apparently George didn't like it - it was too futuristicky & not "real world" enough.  (It isn't on display, you'd need to pay for a private tour of their storeroom armoury to see it...  after a background check to make sure you're not dodgy!  lol)

This coming from the guy who needed a cold shower after thinking about...

:P

Hmmmm..... :laugh1:

You're quite right. Coming from me who's just building 4 sets of armour!

Keep it up mate, you attention to detail is right up my street. :salute:

Edited by sskunky