E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

Indeed they are from Matt Black. I'm fine with a slightly different look on the final product. Rob (Matt Black) kindly gifted them to me, so I want to honour him by actually putting them into use.

That's a really nice way of looking at it, Mathias  :)   I just wanted you to know they're slightly different before I solder them in.

Fantastic work (as usual) on these pdf files Andy. :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:  I'm going to print the pdf files and put them next to my important printed documents about SW collectibles.

What a cool idea!  I'm sorry about how many black ink cartridges you'll use though!  lol  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Mini-update on the Power Cylinders run.  I've finally got all the materials at the specifications I wanted.  (Well, all except the presentation boxes which are no longer made so I'm looking at other options.)

In the meantime I've been making 100 outer cylinders out of thin-walled steel tube & cutting the vent slits in all of them.  To cut the slits I mounted a Proxxon cutting disk in my lathe.  It's not wide enough so I had to cut one slit, wind the blade out & move it along, cut again & then remove the central material.  It gets the Vent Slit really accurate & far squarer than I'd expected it would.  I finish it off with a needle file and sandpaper to get it perfect.  (The 3rd pic is when it's finished - I put it back into the lathe just to take the photo)

I'm now working through the mountain of capacitors you can see cut to length in the first pic.

Cheers, Andy

IMG_4273_zps5be67fcb.jpg

IMG_4286_zps8f9089a0.jpg

IMG_4291_zps82ba2f42.jpg

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Loving the vintage machinery! I have a soft spot for well made old machines........ My Vacuum chamber is run by an old 50's/60's Edwards Speedyvac Pump...:) Built like a tank.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to these......

Mark.

Looking great!

And don't worry, I will order a set of cylinders from you, just not right now. All things in due time. But it seems you have your work cut out for you nonetheless. ;)

Glad everyone's enjoying my little lathe. It was made around the time Star Wars was filmed! :)

Mark, do you have any threads with photos showing your Speedyvac in action? & is anything happening with your laser-cutting project?

Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy

No I don't but have a vid of the speedyvac in action but I can get one done.

As for the E11 plans on the laser cutter..........well.........Lucas has gone missing in action! I've emailed him many times with no reply so I guess he's out the picture. I have a majority of the plans for laser cutting. Lets hook up and get it done. I initially said is cut Lucas in but as he's missing and there's interest maybe we can do it?

Lets hook up and get it done.

I'm up for that   :)   I've got to get the Power Cylinders out to the guys currently on the waiting list first but I'd love to see the E11 files finally finished.  I promised a set to the Curator of Firearms at the Royal Armouries for the help he gave me 2 years ago.

Cheers, Andy

Update:  I didn't get all 50 Mounting Nuts totally finished today but I made good progress.  I got them all roughed out and 37 filed down (left side of right hand tray) & 12 finished (right side of right hand tray).  If you're not sure where these go on the Power Cylinders, they're on page 31 of my Analysis pdf: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s53lnuh9rq5xe7a/E11%20Power%20Cylinders%20Analysis.pdf

Cheers, Andy

IMG_4319_zpscb7a739b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this still going? I haven't gotten a PM reply or anything to pay for these...???

Hi Guys.  Sorry for the quietness, I’ve been away for a few weeks.

Thanks for directing Scott over to the sales page, Matthias. 

Scott, I'll be adding you and a few others to the list shortly. 

Yes, the run is definately still on & I've got some progress photos to post when I get chance, including a bunch of my hand-made "Uber-capactors" with end bungs and printed text   :)

I've got quite a few PMs to reply to and will get back to you all asap.  Thanks for your patience :salute:

Cheers, Andy

Hi guys,

A few pics of the first batch of Power Cylinders as promised  :)

The End Cap production line:

IMG_4664_zps0d41beb2.jpg

A tub of finished "Ceramic Insulators" 

(See page 17 of my "Analysis" pdf if you're not sure what they are https://www.dropbox.com/s/s53lnuh9rq5xe7a/E11%20Power%20Cylinders%20Analysis.pdf. )

They darken to the correct colour after being fitted in the Power Cylinders (because of the heat from soldering the End Caps on)

IMG_4660_zps58869d66.jpg

My hand-made "Uber Capacitors".  Every one is slightly different, just like the originals.   I really love these!  :) 

They have hollow aluminium bodies, individual brown & grey "end bungs", slightly aged wire and the most authentic text we can have until someone finds an original capacitor. 

(See page 23 of my "Analysis" pdf for how I arrived at this text:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/s53lnuh9rq5xe7a/E11%20Power%20Cylinders%20Analysis.pdf.)

(Sadly they take so long to make each one that I can't include this level of detail as standard in the £85 Power Cylinders.  I could fit a set of these for an extra £20 but as standard I'll be fitting simpler one-piece capacitors like the ones on the Power Cylinders in my "Replicas" pdf - still a 100% accurate shape but not quite as awesome!  lol).

IMG_4659_zps899464c3.jpg

The soldering assembly line with Cylinders at different stages.  They look quite rough at this stage but will get tidied up so they look authentically weathered rather than scruffy.

You can see I've been experimenting with the zinc-plating process on some of the parts.  They'll all get a quick dip for authenticity before painting so that the undersides and any chipped sections show dull silvery grey like the originals.

IMG_4828_zps2d8f4511.jpg

I haven't yet got any finished sets with Uber-Capacitors fitted but I'll post pics as soon as I have.  I'm working on the run today.

Cheers, Andy