E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

Mini update...

I’m still really excited about this project but healh problems have meant I’ve not been able to actually make anything.

In the meantime, I’ve been putting together a website of Cylinders info. It’ll go live when I’ve taken good photos of all 5 of the main variant shapes.

Here’s a sample diagram I've made for the site, showing the arrangements of nuts, holes and rear components on the different pairs of Cylinders as they were cut from the full rack (as seen on the MSE droid):

Arrangements_zps73ed581f.jpg

& here's a "Cylinders Resource" webpage in progress where I've separated the chart I posted earlier into 5 to make it clearer. The 5 shapes at the bottom will be hotlinked to changes the info & pictures according to which one you select:

(The top right photo is of Brent's set which I rushed a bit to get it to him for filming. I aim to get the finish on the main run to look more "vintage".)

Cylinders3-VariationsB_zps49d36546.jpg

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Hi Vern,

The diameter of the original capacitors varied slightly around 5mm. The ones Rob gave out varied around 5.5mm.

I can make you half-completed "kits" to the shape you choose when the sales thread is up. You may need to file the capacitor holes a bit to fit exactly & then you'll need to fit the resistors & sleeving on the back.

Or you could post me the caps & I can fit everything.

Cheers, Andy

posting them would probably be better

Love the " buy a set" picture!

If you send them out like this i am not sure i ll take this beauty out of the box and on my blaster! ; )

I agree with you, Sven....it's rather for a single display ;)^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I've give my mini Cylinders update & then I'll reply to your comments.

I've been trying to find a source of original capacitors for a year now and have had very little luck so I'm going to make my own.

Here are some photos of making aluminium ones on my lathe & my first trial at printing the text on them.

I made a cutting tool roughly the right shape for the capacitor ends. It's not exactly the right shape but it was near enough for a trial.

Picture053_zpsc7dac397.jpg

Finished off the shaping with a file:

Picture022_zpsba5d577a.jpg

Then drilled a hole in it for the wire.

Picture026_zps06a1d22e.jpg

Here's the prototype capacitor with 3 different capacitors that are the same size and shape as the original ones.

Picture033_zps0e991dec.jpg

The text is my best guess at what the originals said on them. (They'll be painted but the text should show through on the underside.)

Capacitordimensionsamptextweb_zps9a3c6c0f.jpg

The first method of printing didn't work at all well so I've ordered a rubber stamp to be made with the text on it & I'll try a more permanent ink. I'll let you know how well that works.

I think it's worth posting a photo of the unsuccessful trial, just to show the idea.

Picture044_zps41c5336d.jpg

Sorry it's so long between updates. I'm looking forward to the warmer weather after the Easter snow has gone! :)

Cheers, Andy

Awesome and exciting welcome page! All my best as far as your health is concerned.

Thanks Ron, & thanks to all you guys posting encouragement, I appreciate it :)

Love the " buy a set" picture!

If you send them out like this i am not sure i ll take this beauty out of the box and on my blaster! ; )

lol.... yes, hopefully I'll be able to send them all out in presentation/display boxes just like that one

Jeff & Mark, thanks for your interest - I've added you to the "no obligation" list.

I'll post an update about how well the rubber stamp works as soon as I've tried it.

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Hi everyone, im chipping in late here but have been following this thread for some time with great interest. well done to everyone involved with all the research and work on the cylinders.

Im starting a sterling conversion soon, just sorting out paperwork for importing, and have all my bits and pieces except the cylinders.

Thought I would have a go at making them so will post pics as I go, I fancy the idea of making them mostly in brass, made some brass capacitors yesterday, I dont have a lathe so have improvised by clamping a cordless drill in the vice and clamping the trigger, power can be turned on and off by just removing the battery, im using a file and sandpaper to shape the them, the hardest bit is getting the groove started without the file slipping off the end,  once you get an groove its easier to remove material by sliding the file back and forth like a saw as the drill wouldnt spin as fast as a lathe. after shaping I drilled a hole in each end and soldered in piece's of 0.5mm wire.

DSC_0700_zps5aae91d5.jpg

DSC_0701_zps5c5aff51.jpg

DSC_0702_zpsdafd333d.jpg

DSC_0703_zps950c5ff5.jpg

DSC_0704_zpsaca6b6da.jpg

DSC_0705_zpsa56e54f5.jpg

DSC_0707_zps93af6105.jpg

DSC_0708_zps5e366761.jpg

DSC_0710_zpscd05b1a2.jpg

Great job Chris!  Really looking forward to more pics of your all-brass version  :)

For steadying the file you could try clamping something to your bench just in front of the work to rest the file on.

This was one of my "backwoods" set-ups before I got my little lathe.  Not pretty, but it worked well enough.

Cheers, Andy

drilllathingmuzzle1_zpsf0c3d595.jpg

Thanks Andy and great tip about the rest for my makeshift lathe/drill.

wow never saw a gold plated sterling before, very shiny and bling, must cost a fortune.

would be afraid to put a fingerprint on it  :lol:

made up a few trial run brass plate carriers today and test fitted them with my capacitors,

they are off a bit but something to do while I wait for my 10mm brass rod and end caps to arrive from ebay

DSC_0723_zps3ea0224f.jpg

DSC_0724_zpse4d59c08.jpg

DSC_0720_zps9e152ec9.jpg

DSC_0721_zps2d10c401.jpg

DSC_0722_zps67affc26.jpg

been trying to upload my my pics straight to my post but say 'You can upload up to 80.54K of files (Max. single file size: 80.54K)',

If I reduce my pics to this size they are too fuzzy,

sorry bit of a newbie at doing posts,

any help appreciated.

Chatting with Vern last night and I mentioned I was at the Science Meets Imagination exhibit a few times taking photos for reference on the 5 foot ANH Falcon(I then took photos of the Landspeeder). I'm obsessed with trying to findout what these fuses come from...I think they are resisters for high voltage. Anyway my eye spied a data plate like mentioned previously in the thread. But this one hasn't been painted over. I apologize for the photo quality I was like 10 feet away. Anyway I think if you can crack the data plates on this stuff you will find out what it is.

Lee

dataplate.jpg
Edited by Rogue Studio