E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

Put me on the list too!

I was thinking about upgrading the ones I have, but I think this will be a better option :)

As far as the wires go...

There are bits of stuff seen on some props onscreen as noted in this thread, but I don't see the big curly wires.

After looking into that particular blaster from the SW Chronicles book, I believe it may have been modified post-production. The complete Sterling receiver is intact which is odd (currently illegal in the US) and it also has a piece of plain tubing in place of a real bolt (which also means it's missing the cocking lever).

The blaster appears in two black and white photos - right side view and top/front view. It also appears in full-color promo photos shot with the cast post-production in the US (Ford with short haircut, Hamill post-car accident). In the color photos you can see the wires are red and green.

I'm thinking the blaster was deactivated for import into the US (probably just removal of bolt and some welding required in 1977) and the wires were added then.

Thanks guys :)

Chris - I'd be honoured to put you on the list & thanks for the extra info on the curly wires.

I thought it was odd to have the Tunisian shape rail riveted to a standard Sterling receiver & wondered if it was a reproduction. If it appears with cast then it obviously isn't. Is that colour photo available on the net anywhere for us to see or would you be able to post it here?

Thanks very much, Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daniel,

Yes, everything will be there - the capacitors (which I originally inaccurately called fuses), rear components, wing stubs, everything! They're as near to exact replicas of the whole unit as is possible from the evidence we have.

In fact, very exciting news!!!! I finished & dispatched my first set to America on Saturday :smiley-sw013:

I haven't had time to upload photos yet but watch this space! :popcorn:

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

the only photo I've seen is in the book showing weapons of star wars.

there's also a person with the wires in the correct red and green colors...

I'm digging up the photos.

here's the first one with the proper location, path and original colors.

RtFront_sm.jpg

sides_sm.jpg

http://www.whitearmo...ild-real-parts/

and finally the LFL photo showing the same configuration.

there are shots of luke firing a blaster like this, but that will be tough to dig up!

here's the original shot

wires.jpg

E11-Lucas.jpg

the proper attachment path:

red wire attaches to hengstler inboard pin

4 coils around a pencil

folds over the top of the inner cell but does not attach to the inner cell instead it attaches to the rear of the outer cell

end of red wire at rear of outer cell

green wire attaches to outer pin on counter

4 loops around a pencil

folds over the top of the outer cell

also attaches to the rear of the outside cell

end of red wire does not attach anywhere but the outer cell rear.

interesting that the path is different than 90% of all people's blasters

it took me a long time to get this right and mr. sparkle is the first fan blaster

I've seen with the correct wire path!

chris reiff- aka mr. sparkle is a major player in the prop community and is a massive

illustrator in the Star Wars universe.

he's got every single detail on e-11's, R2 units, and even the falcon plans.

such a monster!

I also would like to be added to the list of buyers for a set of cells (request format for the sterling e-11)

are you going to be making rows of these like on the mouse droid?

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

can wait until you receive my position on your list :) your progress and detail is awesome!

btw are the used capacitors the ones Rob posted in the past?

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/17306-3-central-fuses-on-e11-blaster-cylinders/page__st__220#entry241958

I still got them unused and would be happy if you could attach them right away so they receive your perfect weathering!

Hi Daniel,

Yes, everything will be there - the capacitors (which I originally inaccurately called fuses), rear components, wing stubs, everything! They're as near to exact replicas of the whole unit as is possible from the evidence we have.

In fact, very exciting news!!!! I finished & dispatched my first set to America on Saturday :smiley-sw013:

I haven't had time to upload photos yet but watch this space! :popcorn:

Great news..thank you, Andy :salute:

Thanks guys :)

Vern, thanks for that - I'm looking forward to seeing the colour photo(s) of the curly wired E11 in the hand of Luke or Han sometime - I keep searching & not finding it.

Jens, if you look at the original cylinders on the E11, MSE & Y-Wing you notice that the size & shape of the capacitors varied. I have 2 sorts of capacitors: some like Andy19422 found which are 5mm x 26mm and some like Rob found which are 5.5mm x 26mm. I think probably the 5mm are slightly more accurate but I'm happy to fit 5.5mm like you've got.

Cheers, Andy

Thanks a million to everyone that’s been following, supporting & contributing to this thread. I started it on 27th October 2011 so some of you have been hanging in for a whole year!

It’s taken a long time to develop a design for Power Cylinders/Cells/Targeting Sensors/Range Finders that I feel is as screen-accurate as anyone could possibly make from the evidence we have available.

If we were allowed to measure the MSE droid racks we could maybe get a fraction closer but the angles of the backplate only exist on film now.

A few weeks ago Brent asked whether I could get a set finished ready for the filming of an Indie film he’s hoping to be in with Albin Johnson & others. Here’s a link for the film: http://www.kickstart...s-hands-of-fate

It’s not 100% that Brent will be in the movie but I figured it’d be great publicity to get a set of my cylinders in the film & seen by the founder of the 501st so I pulled out all the stops.

With the filming deadline, the paint job was rushed & done at night in cold, damp conditions so it didn’t turn out quite how I wanted (the paint is slightly too thick, too shiny & there was very little time for fine weathering.) Future sets will be finished better but I felt they were good enough to release. It was either that or miss the film.

Anyway enough talk, onto the photos. Brent’s E11 has an M38 scope so we chose the “Han’s M38†version of the Cylinders shape.

The base-plate is made from vintage steel – 0.9mm Dexian shelving:

IMG_0001.jpg

The holes being drilled with the drill press attachment on my little lathe:

IMG_0027.jpg

The finished base-plate, complete with 4mm nut detail that I made because I coudln't find one exactly the right size:

IMG_203.jpg

The measurements & placement for the nut, for anyone that’s not spotted it before:

IMG_0229b.jpg

The vintage capacitors (that Andy19422 found after a lot of research) ready to be soldered in place:

IMG_0268.jpg

The outer cylinders soldered in place, complete with "wing" stubs:

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

At the back of the Cylinder rack were various components. Some of the resistors & woven insulation sleeve were left on the E11 Cylinders. They’re hard to see in photos, but they’re there if you look closely. I’ll outline them clearly when I make the sale thread so people know exactly what accuracy they’re getting:

IMG_0339resistorscomethroughzoom.jpg

IMG_0340c.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Some of the components were removed/knocked off during filming ANH. This is the best photo of my replica set with all 4 resistors still attached:

IMG_0386zoom.jpg

This is what I chose to go with for Brent's set. (The circular marks are from the magnets because the paint was still soft. The white blob is just to hold them upright for photographing):

IMG_0398underside.jpg

Going back a stage, this was the finish when just primed, looking pristine:

IMG_0385.jpg

A little light weathering on the top coat with bicarbonate of soda for abrasion & dustiness:

Z1bicarbweathering.jpg

With half an hour before the last postal collection on the deadline day I took a few photos of them in their presentation case. Earth magnets secure the Cylinders to the brushed steel insert too so they don’t slide around & can be used to attach the Cylinders to a metal E11. As I said, the paint job was a bit rushed but I think they still look pretty nice. I'd said they look even better in person but I'm biased so I'll wait for Brent's confirmation of that!

(I tinted the background blue in Photoshop to make the photos prettier. They were on black card but it came out grey & looked a bit drab.)

Z4Presentationcase1blue.jpg

Z4Presentationcase2blue.jpg

Z4Presentationcase3blue.jpg

Z4Presentationcase4blue.jpg

Finally a couple of screenshots of Han with the E11 which this particular “Han’s M38†variation is based on.

I’ll be offering a choice of several other variations: “Han’s M19â€, “Chasm†and “Hero trooper†but haven’t made final versions of those yet

I know a lot of people like the look of a matt black E11s black but you can see from this image (& many others) that the screen-used ones had a shiny finish. I'd say "satin" (aka "semi-gloss") rather than "gloss".

Z5HansM38versionscreenshot.jpg

Z5HansM38versionscreenshotzoom.jpg

I can’t sell any more of these at the price I let Brent have them for so before I make the sales thread I’d really appreciate some help with costing these. I’ve always said they’d be expensive because of the amount of time it takes to make them.

Could you guys please PM me with an estimate of what you think would be a realistic price, including shipping. This is not an auction – I’d just like to hear your ideas of value. If the suggested prices I receive aren’t high enough to make production cost-effective then I won’t be able to make them & that would be a real shame. (I'd rather have PMs rather than an online discussion of prices, if that's ok?)

This has been an awesome project either way & I’m looking forward to making the 2nd set even more accurately. I’m making at least 5 more sets whatever (including the different variations) and naturally I’ll post the photos for you guys.

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Vern, I forgot to say... you're actually already on the interest list (in 6th place) from when you said you might put these on the E11s you build for people. I considered that to be "interest" :)

There would be a huge amount more work to make the MSE racks because there are so many more parts. I'm not likely to undertake that unless someone specifically commissions me.

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Thanks Sergiu, I was pleased with the case too. I bought quite a few of them. Some of them have light scratches but they're the best quality ones I've found.

I'm including earth magnets with each set. One of the photos shows the outline of where they go (they dug into the paint because it wasn't fully dried in the rush to get them sent to Brent.)

Remember guys, I'd really appreciate PMs suggesting a sales price for these (inc postage) before I make a sales thread. I know it's a hard thing to estimate but you know better than me what you'd be willing to pay & I'll do my best to find a way to produce them for the lowest price possible. Your suggestions will help me decide what processes I use.

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Amazing work Andy! I'm looking forward to seeing these soon. I'm going to the filming for The Gamers: Hands of Fate Tomorrow. Unfortunately the cylinders haven't arrived yet :( . The filming goes for three days, so there's still hope I can get them in time for some of the filming. In typical Star Wars fashion, they may appear and disappear between scenes :).

I also want to give a real big thanks to Andy for pushing up his timeline to get these ready in time for the filming. He has been incredibly helpful, and I'm hoping I get to use this as an opportunity to show off his work. If I get a chance to be on film I want to show the best FISD can offer, and Andy's cylinders are certainly top notch. Fingers are crossed, I really want to get these in there.

I'm watching the mailbox, and I'll post as soon as the set arrives.