E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

Thanks guys.

Jonathon, you can find them on Ebay. Mine cost around £340 (£230 for the basic lathe plus £110 for accessories & new cutting tools that I bought elsewhere.) Such is my dedication to getting these cylinders absolutely spot on! lol

Sergiu, I bought it specifically for this project so haven't tried making much else with it yet. Did you have some ideas of what you;d make if you had one?

I did make a brake pedal for a Harley-Davidson though as a paid learning job, which was fun. Here are pics. It's somewhat off topic but shows the drill press function of the lathe:

brakepedal0.jpg

brakepedal1.jpg

brakepedal4.jpg

brakepedal5.jpg

Mark & Chris - Wow, so many discerning gentlemen joining this list, I must be doing something right :)

Chris, on a related subject, your really informative "Parts of Star Wars" site lists two E11 variations that include the Hengstler to Cylinders curly wires but I've never been able to spot them.

Is there any chance you could give me a clue which scene you saw them in, please? ...or even better, post a screenshot?

This is one of the variations, the ANH-A2 http://www.partsofsw.com/e11_a2.htm the other is the ANH-B(2)

Cheers, Andy

Thanks, Mattias :)

Yes, at present those are the only type of wires I'd put on an E11 - they're just remnants from the Hengstler & counters' former lives - there are even tiny components still attached.

I was actually considering offering wires like that with my cylinders at some point though I'd need to do more research on that to make sure I was getting it right.

I think the curly ones add some extra visual weight to an E11 though so I'd love to have evidence that they're screen accurate if anyone has a screen shot of them?

I'm not sure of a screen used version with the curly wires.... I built mine based off of the ones in the promo shots with the actors and as seen in Chronicles. I was going for a build as I thought the designers intended it to look.

I'm amazed people still reference the Parts of Star Wars site.... we've been so busy for so long on illustration work we just never got it updated. Some secions are soooo out of date its funny.

Chris

I'm amazed people still reference the Parts of Star Wars site.... we've been so busy for so long on illustration work we just never got it updated. Some secions are soooo out of date its funny.

Chris

Maybe you should allow some 501st members here who know many new things about blasters and have free time to upgrade the site.

Hi Doug, added you to the list :)

I've made some good progress since my last update. Here's a "vintage-blurred" photo of the 1st set of production cylinders as they are now.

They need some more parts soldering on, aging/distressing, painting, weathering & wonkifying but I'm pleased with them so far.

The tin foil will be replaced with brushed steel so the cylinders' earth magnets will hold them firmly in place in the display case.

1stproductionsetunfinished2.jpg

Here's a few "making" shots too...

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Wow, they look really good!!! I have a couple of questions that I didn't see, but this thread is 19 pages, so I might have missed them. Will there be provisions to add wires to the back of them, and will the option to get them in an unfinished state be available if we want to do our own painting, not that I'm nearly that far yet. Ideally this is something that I'd like to put on my E-11, as I'm starting to source components now. If that is not the purpsoe of these, I'm also cool with that. I'm still learning, so hopefully my questions don't sound too ignorant. Thanks again, and I like the way they look in your display case!

Cheers, guys :)

Doug - there are no "ignorant" questions, mate - it's a massively long thread & there's a lot of detail in it.

If you're asking about attaching curly Hengstler to cylinders wires you will be able to solder them onto the ends of the capacitors if you want or you could ask me to add something to your set for that purpose. My "standard" sets won't have a specific attaching point for them as I'm making the cylinders to be exact replicas of the screen-used originals and I've seen no evidence that curly wires were used on screen or held by the cast for publicity shots.

I could leave yours unpainted for you if you'd like the fun of doing that. I don't know that it would make them very much cheaper since most of the work is in making & assembling the parts. I'm very flexible though & may even offer kits but I haven't thought quite that far ahead yet. This is still a work in progress.

I'm hoping to offer the steel-based display/presentation case with every set although some people have asked not to have one in order to keep the cost down.

Cheers, Andy

I'm still not sure how I'd want mine, as I'm still doing my research, and trying to assemble all the parts for my build. Depending on cost, I suppose I could always get 2 sets, one with the wire attachments, and one without! As far as the paint goes, I'm still a ways away from that, and it was just a thought, nothing more. Thanks!