E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to say mine arrived fine. :duim: I also got a set of cylinders with 3 holes, but the holes are a bit too small. Anyone tried to use these new cool capacitors from Rob for their cylinders?

The 2 cylinders sets I got from Joerg, the one with dual small capacitors (left) and the one with 3 holes (right). In the one with the 3 holes I added the capacitors I received from Rob after painting them, they are just attached with their wires and no glue or anything else, so if I want to reposition them or take them off, it can be done in 3 seconds. The entire ensemble is connected to the blaster with 2 flat and powerful rare earth magnets (glued to the cylinders and painted black), thus I can exchange between the two options and also change the position of the cylinders if want to:

cylindersstormtrooperbl.jpg

My converted Sterling, with Eagle Hengstler, M-40 scope (next week a M-38 arrives too), and the cylinders - the superb stand is made by Rob (thanks again buddy):

sterlingstormtrooperbla.jpg

Utterly stunning display, Sergiu!!! The build, the stand, the plaques, the communicator in case! All superb! Love it! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

How did you go about making/buying the left-hand plaque?

And would you please email me your highest res copy of this photo so I can enjoy it in all its glory? (I'll PM you my email)

:jc_doublethumbup:

Andy

Utterly stunning display, Sergiu!!! The build, the stand, the plaques, the communicator in case! All superb! Love it! :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

How did you go about making/buying the left-hand plaque?

And would you please email me your highest res copy of this photo so I can enjoy it in all its glory? (I'll PM you my email)

:jc_doublethumbup:

Andy

Thank you Andy! The tall plaque was made by Kevin (Panther/Gatorbait) :)

got my caps in today! amazing.

I was 3 months old in november 1961 when these were made.

scopes from 43' hengstlers from 40' and now caps from 61'

lot's of old gear in the screen accurate bag around here!

thanks ROB!

(where's my pink service ribbon?)

The 2 cylinders sets I got from Joerg, the one with dual small capacitors (left) and the one with 3 holes (right). In the one with the 3 holes I added the capacitors I received from Rob after painting them, they are just attached with their wires and no glue or anything else, so if I want to reposition them or take them off, it can be done in 3 seconds. The entire ensemble is connected to the blaster with 2 flat and powerful rare earth magnets (glued to the cylinders and painted black), thus I can exchange between the two options and also change the position of the cylinders if want to:

LOOKS GREAT-

One question where did you put the wire of the capacitor?

Do you just have them hanging over the edge, or did you drill a hole in the base and tuck the wires in to it?

Craig

LOOKS GREAT-

Do you just have them hanging over the edge, or did you drill a hole in the base and tuck the wires in to it?

Craig

Thanks. You can see the pic on the left. That is the cylinders set with 3 holes where I added the 3 capacitors from Rob. I only used their own small wires to hold the capacitors to the cylinders - I cut a part of them and the remaining wires I put underneath.

Craig

On the originals there were 3 holes in the middle of the "wings". The capacitor wires went down through them and were wrapped over the front edge. Cheers, Andy

mousedroidtop0.jpg

Verry nice indeed.

SORRY about copying your entire post.

I tried to do it as a quote thing...I am still learning ;)

You guys do GREAT work

Great post here. I love finding stuff. I'm looking over these parts and I have forwarded over photos to some of my prop maker buddies a few well versed in electronics. I used to work on fire control radar F4 C/D in the Air Force before becoming a Loadmaster. The only thing I see in those parts that point to vintage radar is the the vacuum tube receptacles. Most of the radar stuff I worked on was vacuum tube technology and as far as a fighter aircraft these do not look familiar as a radar item from my point of reference. These seem to be from late 50's early 60's tech. I also notice the flush mount screw holes in the above photo which may indicate a panel was placed behind where screws go. Not sure how that helps but it's interesting and another clue. The F4 was flown and used by the UK in droves...there was one panel that was replaced in the WSO's seat in the back and it was replaced in the mid 70's with IC chip boards...IIRC it was involved with tracking and locking targets...possibly just a trail to follow they ditched these to the junkyard around 75ish...who knows ya know nothing ventured nothing gained.

Note: military stuff is SN# out the yang and I only saw one indication of a part number in one photo.

Edited by Rogue Studio

• 1 month later...

They are not different sized, only in the range this old stuff always has, maybe around 0,5mm in length (0,02") - just shrinkcoated with different thick isolation stuff, and a different type of printing.

Here they are after peeling them out of that stuff, the upper is type A and the lower Type B

Parts006.jpg

Not sure what to to - making 5 sets of 2, 3 sets of 3, or 4 sets with 2x3 and 2x2?

Parts005.jpg

I suppose i will go the 4 sets route......