E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

I know this isn't the right kind, but it sort of resembles the outer two capacitors.

Ebay-link

Andy19422's most recent research received this expert opinion about the outer cylinders:

The item you sent me a picture of looks like an IF strip of some kind. The capacitors in the tubes neaest the camera look like standard TCC types and are screened by the external shroud.

It is therefore unlikely that the components with nuts on the top are capacitors. Logic would suggest if this is indeed an IF strip that they might be tuning inductors.

It's just an opinion but it's another auto-search to put into eBay :)

I haven't found anything near enough to the outer cylinders to warrant buying.

If someone wanted to commission a run of professionally-made outer cylinders they could contact alibaba.com. They might work out cheaper than my "raw" materials. Maybe wait until I post my "Hyper-accurate Power Cylinders" thread though and people have checked it over for accuracy :)

aluminium_capacitor_tin_casing.jpg

Yeah, I know the suggested origin of the originals. I mentioned these I saw today because they kind of looked similar. So they might have been intended for similar use. Just as a proof of viability for the originals. :)

And one more post....

Got a screen capture of the cylinders on a Y-Wing targetting computer. This is a png from a 1080 res file. If someone has Blu-Ray they could get an even better image & post it up here :) See how the bolt threads are longer on this set? There are more great shots of the cylinders from different angles during the Y-Wing attack down the Death Star trench.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l581/PlayfulWolfCub/E11%20photos/cylindersonY-Wingtargetingcomputer.png

cylindersonY-Wingtargetingcomputer.png

Yeah, I know the suggested origin of the originals. I mentioned these I saw today because they kind of looked similar. So they might have been intended for similar use. Just as a proof of viability for the originals. :)

Yeah, I spotted these as extra verification that the cylinders have bolts on each end & I've still got fingers crossed that the originals will turn up :)

VintageGUDEMANHighVoltageCapacitor005uf5nF5000pF10kvHamRadioParts.jpg

And one more post....

Got a screen capture of the cylinders on a Y-Wing targetting computer. This is a png from a 1080 res file. If someone has Blu-Ray they could get an even better image & post it up here :) See how the bolt threads are longer on this set? There are more great shots of the cylinders from different angles during the Y-Wing attack down the Death Star trench.

http://i1125.photobu...ingcomputer.png

cylindersonY-Wingtargetingcomputer.png

Some people have really good eyes, to have spotted this in the first place.

On the other picture Andy, I think there is a second Hengstler on the other side of the pilot in summitry too.

Some people have really good eyes, to have spotted this in the first place.

On the other picture Andy, I think there is a second Hengstler on the other side of the pilot in summitry too.

Well spotted, Marv! The second one is clearer in this screen cap & looks like it's missing the metal casing in this cockpit. I'm glad it's in the Y-Wing because if it was in the cooler X-Wing I'd be so tempted to start making one from my Hengstler! lol

StarWarsEpisodeIVANewHope19771080pHDTVx264-helge3223-45-52.png

Did you notice also on the Cylinders on the Y-wing shot the screw threads protrude by quite some way. Its a bit of a shame this detail isn't seen else where, perhaps it would aid in working from where they came? Just wondering if these were sandwiched in another chassis, could they have been stacked, another reason why they may have had many?

I see interesting things in that photo. But more disturbing is that it looks like there's only two small capacitors in between the bigger ones. Look at the marks between the bigger ones, as if they have these holes in the frame, like John had his new ones made like. But I only see two (really faint) marks where the small capacitors would be.

ywinginterior.png

I see interesting things in that photo. But more disturbing is that it looks like there's only two small capacitors in between the bigger ones. Look at the marks between the bigger ones, as if they have these holes in the frame, like John had his new ones made like. But I only see two (really faint) marks where the small capacitors would be.

No need to worry, Matthias - there are 3 capacitors when you see it from the top view. The 2 gaps where light is shining through are holes either side of the middle (3rd) capacitor. Watch the whole sequence in the movie to see it from all angles :)

Did you notice also on the Cylinders on the Y-wing shot the screw threads protrude by quite some way. Its a bit of a shame this detail isn't seen else where, perhaps it would aid in working from where they came? Just wondering if these were sandwiched in another chassis, could they have been stacked, another reason why they may have had many?

I did notice that & I'm not sure what to think of it yet. Why would the prop-makers have bothered cutting all the bolts shorter on the MSE droid? ...or on the landspeeder? It's not like they'd get in the way of anything or look "less sci-fi". Might they have added extra-long bolts to the Y-Wing computers? Why? The difference doesn't make sense to me. :/

Congrats on being (I think) the first person to post photos of the vintage capacitors finished on an E11, Stefan! Good work smile.png

Just in case anyone thought I'd lost interest in my As-Screen-Accurate-As-Possible Power Cylinders design project here's a summary of my exploration so far.

They're as accurate as I can make them from just photos/screen caps. I've been studying Blu Ray screen captures - they do show more detail than the DVDs! smile.png

Next job is to make them & mount them on my E11 so I can look at them from every angle & tweak the shape as necessary.

I can't guarantee that this jpeg will print at life-size - it's just a preview smile.png

Edited 28/7/12: Design plan temporarily removed. PM me if you want a copy.

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Brilliant diagram Andy! I just found 9.5mm copper tubing at my local hardware store too so I'm going to go pick some up.

Just gotta grab me some suitable end caps.

You really are going to make the most accurate power cylinders possible :)

Thanks guys :)

Lucas, I can't guarantee the measurements until I've finished, mounted & tweaked the Cylinders but I believe 9.5mm tube is accurate.

The end caps I'm using (which also seem accurate, once their length is shortened) are from 15A or 20A BS1361 "consumer fuses" (there's a pic earlier in this thread). I don't know if you'll get them in Australian hardware stores but they're on ebay or I could buy & post you some. The full printing on mine is "Lawson LC15A (or LC20A) BS1361 240V". They're very fiddly to dismantle & alter but I haven't found anything better.

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

(You can open the picture link in a new tab and see it full size)

no difference in size either way for me

great info andy :)

Might have gotten fooled by the resolution on my screen at home, but there I run chrome. At work I didn't see any difference either, but here I use firefox.

This is AMAZING! I never realized about the Hengster and the Cylinders being in the Y Wing!

Andy

Me neither till LonePigeon (Chris Trevas, of "The Parts Of Star Wars" website) told us in this thread - some really helpful shots of the cylinders, especially on Blu Ray :)

Have fun with your new caps - post us a pic, won't you :)

• 2 weeks later...