E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

Hi Andy, yes looking at them again there is thee capacitors in all the pics but it looks like the end ones are made up of a set of two long ones and one short one. these are shown in the mouse and landspeeder photos so I don't think these are just bent. Maybe the smaller ones have a different rating.

I'm not so sure I can see any size difference at all from the picture that was posted below, the bottom two if you like hide the thirds length.

Capacitorthroughplatefromback.jpg

Andy, you said there were some photos where there were mostly groups of 3 capacitors but that there was at least one group of 2 capacitors. I've looked at my photos & I can't find any where that's the case. I've got some photos where the wires for one of the capacitors has been bent, so the capacitor is out of sight but the 3rd wire is still visible.

You may have a photo I don't have - can you post one that shows what you mean? Cheers

Do you mean this one?

I think that the reason why you may not see it, and why this is the case on the blasters too (varying from two to three to none) could simply be due to this uncovered fact that the capacitors appear to be connected to something else behind. Could it simply be because in most cases especially on the blaster where this strip is trimmed it would be reasonable to assume that as there is no connection on the other end of it any longer making the front connection somewhat weaker, and far more likely to break? I am hypothesizing.

I have never quite liked the templates I've seen I think there is one picture in here which really could shed some light on how this ought to be.

I've trimmed it down a little to highlight where I am coming from:

cylinder%20template.jpg

It may just be me but I think there is a triangular cut out section at the back, which would give enough room for the capacitors to pass as we know.

This strip would have been produced in bulk, so if I think back to me engineering days (many moons ago) I'd think that this chassis as it is would have been created using a press. The folds cuts etc could have been done in one press of a heavy die. Where the metal is bent up to meet the cylinders there would almost be no gap. There wouldn't be rounding and I think the pressing of the front two sticky up bits (highly technical there) would possibly help determine the positioning of the cylinders?

I reason that I think the template would be closer to this, long red lines implying cuts, dashes folds:

template.jpg

Amended this slightly slightly

On this the top corner and bottom would be the other side of the cylinder and lost when trimmed.

I may try and do a pic from the front but my skills here are very limited.

Edited by Marv

Having played with the caps a bit, the wires are quite strong & all 3 are pushed up against each other so I don't think they'll have snapped off due to weakness (you'll see what I mean later today when I post my proposed v1.0 template of the design).

I haven't found any photographic evidence that confirms that any of them were removed. I'll quote my earlier post in case you missed it:

You're absolutely right Andy and I think I can offer a photo-supported explanation. The end caps are the same ones but they join onto lower components - see photo. If I was a proppy working on the E11 I'd have just pushed the "shorter" one back through the frame once I'd cut it off at the back to be the same length as the others - it'd be quicker than cutting them off at the front. This might explain why, on some photos, one of the capacitors is diagonal - that capacitor which was lower had more wire on the front end & they pushed it the the side. I'm more confident now that all the E11 power cylinders had 3 capacitors and individual builders can choose whether to add a diagonal or parallel top one! :)

capjoinslowercomponent.jpg

It may just be me but I think there is a triangular cut out section at the back, which would give enough room for the capacitors to pass as we know.

I like your template - I started mine hours ago & you been me to it! lol

I thought the same about the triangle (great minds & all) but I don't think ther's enough black "trianglular shadow" on any photo to allow all 3 to pass through to the depth they need to be. I've developed that thought into more of a playing card club design of 3 circles punched though touching each other.

Tell you what, since you're thinking about this now I'll post my proposed v1 template in unfinished form. It has various errors in it but you'll see where I'm going :)

There is (& thanks for reminding me because I need to add it to the template) but I think it's too close to the cap to allow the whole body of the cap to go through - I think there need to be circles cut at the corners of the triangle as well:

***PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT A FINISHED WORK - IT'S AN EARLY RELEASE TO AID TALKING TO MARV***

EDIT: Draft v1.0 removed - more recent version posted

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Here is my masterpiece (its not) I've painted out a little bit of this pic but if you look in the centre there is a straight edge from the top capacitor to the one on the left.

I think if you try and consider how this may have been made it makes sense (but so would your idea) if this was done by a pressed die it might be easier to cut a way one piece than have three separate punched holes?

See what you think.

cylinder template1.jpg

I know many people put a curve in the top of the backplate. However this screencap of Han's blaster doens't seem to have one. The large cylinder of the valve socket doedn't need to pass through the backplate - just the central connector. If the curve wasn't already part of the radar chassis to accomodate this, I think it unlikely that the proppies will have put one in - they were about speed & effect from a distance :)

backplateshapescreencap.jpg

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

There is (& thanks for reminding me because I need to add it to the template) but I think it's too close to the cap to allow the whole body of the cap to go through - I think there need to be circles cut at the corners of the triangle as well:

***PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT A FINISHED WORK - IT'S AN EARLY RELEASE TO AID TALKING TO MARV***

PrototypeE11Cylindersv10PlayfulWolfCub.jpg

Liking this I think the folded up parts at the front would extend to the center of the cylinder when seen as a flat piece of metal though. Try to consider it in a bigger strip. A press wouldn't have wastage. It may marginally push the cylinders out a little more but your talking only by a small amount (mms). It would be concentric to the next one and so forth.

I know many people put a curve in the top of the backplate. However this screencap of Han's blaster doens't seem to have one. The large cylinder of the valve socket doedn't need to pass through the backplate - just the central connector. If the curve wasn't already part of the radar chassis to accomodate this, I think it unlikely that the proppies will have put one in - they were about speed & effect from a distance :)

Screen cap?

Liking this I think the folded up parts at the front would extend to the center of the cylinder when seen as a flat piece of metal though. Try to consider it in a bigger strip. A press wouldn't have wastage. It may marginally push the cylinders out a little more but your talking only by a small amount (mms). It would be concentric to the next one and so forth.

Actually I am in error on this it would raise them slightly not push them out!!!

I'll explore the idea of extending the "wings" to avoid press wastage. Though the components are in the right place when lined up with different photos so it might be tricky. Still, I believe that shapes do follow the process by which they are manufactured so I'll try to see what I can "jiggle" :)

I've got some other stuff I have to do now so I'll leave you to have thoughts about it & check in later :)

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

I wondering if those are mock up? Looking at TK895s picture the screen cans certainly look to dip into the space between the cylinders. But if these simply sit on the top of the chassis and don't sit in it (if I'm making sense) then there might never be a cut on the top????

:6:

It might also just be a shadow under them, rather than a cut. I couldn't tear myself away from this so heres's another pic of the underside. It shows the caps passing through a not very triangular-shaped hole &(& possibly soldered in place? I don't think the "screen cans" pass through but it'd be good to have a higher res copy and/or a look a a photo of the underside of one not mounted on a frame. What's a screen can & do you have a pic of a loose compnent?

NOW I'm going! lol

undersidecapscyls.jpg

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Version 1.1: Tweaked to include "screen cans" & slightly less punchout wastage (but in one direction only - this needs tweaking further)

There are various things about it that don't sit well "artistically" but I'm not letting myself change them to be more aesthetic because my goal is to have a design congruent with what it was originally & how it was converted i.e. pulled out of rusty surplus gear & chopped up! lol

EDIT: More recent version posted

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub
  • Like 1

I'm still puzzled by the screencap of Han's blaster. It has the corners off but seems to have a solid middle. It could be a mock-up as you suggest, John, but why would they bother? He & Luke swap E11 variations all the way through the Death Star scenes so clearly no-one was keeping track. I'll leave that one alone for now...

Anyway, here's a pic of how the cylinders would look if they avoided any wastage at all cutting the wings. Given how way out it puts the cylinder I'd say they had a little wastage in that section (because the left side of the design, whilst not perfect yet, is fairly close)

PrototypeE11Cylinders-WastereducingWingTooLong1.jpg

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Does anyone know a software package that'd take an Illustrator file & make it 3D really quickly & easily? Zeroroom uses Illustrator's extrude & bevel 3D facility but I was hoping for something more automatic & that could then spin to show any angle so I can match it up with photos for tweaking.

I was going to make this physically today but I work outside & it's been cold, wet & windy - hopefully tomorrow'll be better! :)

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Most 3D programs will import Vector art for extrusion, but probably your best bet is Google SketchUp for a simple job like this because it's free!

SketchUp can import Adobe Illustrator files in the for of AutoCAD Drawing (.dwg) or AutoCAD Interchange (.dxf) file formats. So it's just a matter of saving the aart in the right format. You will obviously have to make sure all your parts are separate, extrude them and reassemble them in sketch up - otherwise you'll end with a mess extruding the entire graphic...