E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

Edited 18th August 2013:

This project thread is now 33 pages long so here are some quick links to the end results...

A 39 page downloadable pdf containing most of the project research and conclusions:

RqE09YG.jpgb7Lv5rb.jpg

A 21 page downloadable pdf of my finished E11 Replicas (with five different Power Cylinders variations):

DSNtXt7.jpg0BiEbyD.jpg

(Full acknowledgements of everyone who has contributed to the project are on the final "Credits, Thanks & Links" pages of both pdfs.)

Sales thread for screen-accurate & authentically made metal Power Cylinders

Sales thread for screen-accurate resin Power Cylinders

Cheers, Andy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive posted this on the RPF but, having just read the awesome "The Best Sterling Templates EVER!" thread I thought it was worth posting here too:

Every set of repro blaster cylinders I've seen has 2 central "fuses" but I think maybe there were actually 3 on the screen-used E11s.

This photo of a 6-rack of the E11-used "mystery valves" on a mouse droid clearly shows 3 central fuses. I doubt the Bapty dressers would have taken the time to remove the 3rd one & I can't think of a reason why they would need to.

I imagine someone has suggested this idea before & it has been disproved with material evidence but, to my knowledge, there isn't a clear enough photo of the original blasters to be sure.

Has anyone any thoughts before I start making cylinder units with 3 fuses for my Sterling build and scratch builds?

Thanks, Andy
lVaGWzp.jpg

There really are no CLEAR, up close photos to reference. But honestly, of all the blaster threads and photos I have seen, the main focus is on the cylinders themselves and not really on the fuses in between. Just to be safe, I would not put too much emphasis on these fuses and stick with the cylider detail. If there is a way to back up(by photos) what you are building then by all means go for it. I just have not seen it. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, though.

I'm going to have bring back some very old photos of this part.

sterling conversion blog

this post is copied from the above location.

I don't know if anyone knows the TRUE origins of the cylinders that mount on top of the magazine well, but I would love to hear it if you know!

I did some research and discovered a few images of the cylinders I was trying to identify, in case anyone else has a brainstorm, or knows vacuum tube amplifiers from the 60s and 70s:

The ones from the top of the Landspeeder, shown below also, are the same:

First, 2 pics from a screen-used E-11:

Blaster%20Cylinder%201.jpg

Then, the top of the Mouse Droid:

Mouse%20droid.jpg

Cylinder%20rack.jpg

Mouse%20Droid%20Cylinders%20marked.jpg

The Landspeeder hood showing the same tubes:

I actually made a pretty decent breakthrough while emailing with Paul Harrison from Elstree Studios, London (One of the men who worked on building the Landspeeders and Mouse Droids for ANH).

Here is what he had to say:

Hi,

We built the originals but the art department did a lot of the dressing up. Most greeblie parts came from Elstree Electrical, which was an old store on the high street that had old oscilloscopes, valve radios etc.

But those parts I think were just spark plugs with the porcelain knocked off with tender tap from a hammer! We helped John Stears on the mouse droids too, we had it running around the workshop, based on a Datsun 280 RC sports car from what I remember. I think it was old valves on there. Most glass bits were broken off as we knew they wouldnt survive shipping, it was easier to remove them and repaint.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Paul

Then I just went online searching for valve radios and found a PDF schematic for a RCA Victor Radiolette R-5 and found this:

RCA%20Victor%20Radiolette%20R5%20marked.jpg

I actually made a pretty decent breakthrough while emailing with Paul Harrison from Elstree Studios, London (One of the men who worked on building the Landspeeders and Mouse Droids for ANH).

EDIT:

added text from blog

RE; electrical conversation with elstree employee regarding power cells

Here is what he had to say:

Hi,

We built the originals but the art department did a lot of the dressing up. Most greeblie parts came from Elstree Electrical, which was an old store on the high street that had old oscilloscopes, valve radios etc.

But those parts I think were just spark plugs with the porcelain knocked off with tender tap from a hammer! We helped John Stears on the mouse droids too, we had it running around the workshop, based on a Datsun 280 RC sports car from what I remember. I think it was old valves on there. Most glass bits were broken off as we knew they wouldnt survive shipping, it was easier to remove them and repaint.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Paul

I figured this blog element fit nicely here...

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Personally, I don't think it would matter too much either way.

This shot is off the Landspeeder, the component piece had three fuses, but whether they used two, three or any I guess will always be a matter of contention.

Fuses.jpg

What you may want to consider too is the mounting of the cylinders, if your doing a genuine Sterling I took a hint from the Sterling blog spot and got some small neodymium magnets (a couple of pounds on eBay for 10). No screws rivets etc. They should give a nice and strong hold.

Magnates.jpg

Edited by Marv

First, 2 pics from a screen-used E-11:

Blaster%20Cylinder%201.jpg

Personally I think this could just be showing three, there are what looks like two small circles (which I guess are the ends) but they appear to be stacked and not side by side. Unfortunately its not a great picture.

RCA%20Victor%20Radiolette%20R5%20marked.jpg

I'm not sure theres any thing in this image, I think its really misleading? Whats highlighted could be anything (possibly old fuses themselves) The valves on here (or at least I think thats what the big black bits are only appear to have 5 pins) the pictures clearly show 7??

lol... I just scanned a high res copy of the screen-used E11 from The Chronicles but you beat me to it Vern! I've read your blog loads of times - it's awesome! Thanks for putting it out there!

I'd say the pic headed "First, 2 pics from a screen-used E-11:" shows the middle top " fuse" and one lower one. I see no reason for the props dept to have remove the other lower one & in my high res scan there's a suggestion of it in the shadows (I don't have the upload capacity to post it here though)

John, that's a great speeder shot & one I've never seen before. Where's it from? ...and yes, I'll probably be using magnets for mounting.

I've just taken some in-film screen-captures of cylinders & noticed that in the detention block corridor scene Han's seem to have been put on in reverse, showing us the "back". It looks like they have nuts at both ends, not just at the front.

reversedcylindersshowingnuts.jpg

It's another little detail to add accuracy to the build. Having spent several hundred pounds getting genuine parts I'd like the cylinders to be as authentic as possible. Maybe one day we'll identify them & have originals!!! :)

Thanks to everyone for your input :)

it's not my blog...The owner's name might be "deckard" I'm just passing on the data. the photos are larger from the blog to show detail.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Hi Andy

If I recall it was Andy19422 that originally sent me a copy of the speeder view image.

I think finding originals of these is really going to be one heck of a needle in an almighty giant haystack. When you start looking you just end up chasing your tail.

Sooooooooooo Andy, How you gonna build it?

Fuse-wise I think I'll have to flout repro convention of 2 & go with 3 since that's what I feel the evidence suggests is most authentic

Materials-wise I'll make a mock-up first out of cardboard/wood/fibreglass rod & see how it looks. I'll use metal for the final version - I'm wondering whether the originals will have been hollow tin with some sort of filling. I need to research what valve manufacturers used at that time.

Naturally I'll post photos & a tidied-up plan when I'm happy with them. :)

I am in the process of making these with the help of a machinist.

metal parts will come out of the shop.

I have a very accurate repo that I got off the RPF 5 or 6 years ago. I don't know from who, but whoever it was did an excellent job. They were a little pricey though.

Perhaps someone here remembers.

It'd be interesting to see photos :)

Hi Andy

If I recall it was Andy19422 that originally sent me a copy of the speeder view image.

I think finding originals of these is really going to be one heck of a needle in an almighty giant haystack. When you start looking you just end up chasing your tail.

I agree but we can dream! :)

Thanks, I'll ask Andy if he has any more. I'm still hoping to find a good pic of how the fuses attach at the back - otherwise I'll just have to make it up & live with the uncertainty :shok: ...lol

On 10/28/2011 at 8:55 AM, TK Bondservnt 2392 said:

Fuses.jpg

this photo clearly shows 3 adjustable capacitors- I personally believe that they cut the center top one off for the e-11's.

I started this thread by calling the 3 small cylinders "fuses", which they're not are they - they're either capacitors or resistors. By "3 adjustable capacitors" do you mean these small cylinders or the large ones above them with the squarish holes?

It seems most people believe the centre top one was cut off but I've yet to understand what evidence this belief is based on. In this photo “The Star Wars Chronicles” I'd say the top centre capacitor/resistor is still there & that the left lower one is in shadow. The connecting wire on the lower ones isn't long enough to make one appear above the other. If any of them were cut off it'd need to have been the left lower one but, as I say, I think I see that in the shadow. I'm hoping to get chance to start making a set tomorrow so I'll learn more about the arrangement from a practical point of view.

DO2L9FD.jpg

On 29.10.2011 at 10:23 AM, TK Bondservnt 2392 said:

the goal of my cells is to up the bar.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, Vern.

I found Andy19422's thread on this subject and we're having a conversation there. I'm new to forum discussions. Is there are way to tie the 2 threads together for neatness?

http://whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12464&hl=&fromsearch=1

He believes he's some found some of the original resistors. They certainly look authentic & I've got dibs on three! :)

Does anyone have any photos that indicate whether the resistors passed through the rear metal plate?

On 10/28/2011 at 8:46 AM, PlayfulWolfCub said:

I've just taken some in-film screen-captures of cylinders & noticed that in the detention block corridor scene Han's seem to have been put on in reverse, showing us the "back". It looks like they have nuts at both ends, not just at the front.

maWivW1.jpg

Inspired by Andy19422's vintage resistor discovery I've had a trawl on ebay for capacitors and resistors.

I've found no exact matches but found photos of various capacitors like this which support my "bolts at both ends" theory.

ujxsQ4I.jpg

& these are aluminium capacitor casings for sale. They're not exactly the same but there'll be some somewhere that are, I'm sure!

UElhBP4.jpg

Nice research Andy!

the large ones above them with the squarish holes look like some sort of socket for a bulb or valve ?

I think those look very much like old transistor sockets. for these:

ror227.jpg

Not very unlikely if the stuff really came from old audio electonics to find a few of those.

Nice research Andy!

Edited by Locitus