Oh Snap...I'm confused about snaps!

LePaul

Will Halloween around the corner, I am planning an all out offensive to get my ATA Armor trimmed and assembled over the coming week.

I've searched the many threads on assembly and how to piece everything together but how to get snaps into the armor remains a bit fuzzy for me.

I thought cutting strips of webbing material, installing the snap and gluing it to the armor would be a good idea...but I see E-6000 might get really warm and melt armor if it comes in contact with the snap. Yikes!

I have bought a bulk of jean-style snaps and plenty of white and black webbing material.

What's the best means to get a snap secured into the armor?

Thanks!

after trimming your armour use the off cuts u have left over to cut out squares attach the snaps to this then e6000 them to the armour and then after that dries run some abs glue round the edges of the plastic square you justed glued using a brush and the natural capillary action of abs glue will make a super strong join between armour and square

Hey LePaul.... The first thing to suggest is that you read and search and read and search. There are more resources on the subject of snaps on this forum than any other subject.

As Travis and Alex mentioned most people glue plastic snap plates to the inside of their armor. There are many many other links if you just poke around the getting started and howto sections. And use the search luke.

----------

I took Kevster's suggestion and used webbing as snap plates. I haven't trooped yet but it has worked out pretty well so far (see my build link in my signature below.)

No matter what material you use just be careful when applying E-6000. I used it for every one of my webbing snap plates without deforming or melting my armor. I was just very very careful.

If you're really in a hurry and can't wait for the E-6000 24 hour cure time, maybe velcro is your friend. You can always peel it off and put in snap plates after Halloween.

Aloha and good luck this week.

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The E600 does not get hot, it is just a goo...sorta like rubber cement. I help build here, I have seen the plastic plates done, but the Outpost guys are using the nylon pieces with snaps glued in. They are fast builders, and use E6000 in the middle, then sorta tack weld the seams with CA glue and accelerant, which does get hot. I have never seen them deform any armor.

Okay, so that answered most of my anxiety...you'd think after two aluminum R2-D2 builds, nothing scares me anymore with assembly!

As someone pointed out, isnt the bottom of the snap exposed? So add another layer of plastic to it and carefully glue around the exposed metal?

If they are putting snaps in material like nylon, how do they glue that into the armor? I'm not sure I could find anything local like CA Glue.

Again, thanks for all the replies!

LePaul.... take a moment and read some of the links above about snap plates. Again... check out my build where I used E-6000 with nylon webbing snap plates.

No need to add another layer under the snap. Just be careful and don't get glue on the bottom of the snap when you're putting the snap plates in. I toyed with the idea of slathering clear nail polish on the underside of the snap but that seemed like overkill.

I know you're super stoked. We all are during the build process... but maybe settle down... pop an adult beverage... and take a tour of the FISD forums... especially the getting started and howto section :)

Okay, so that answered most of my anxiety...you'd think after two aluminum R2-D2 builds, nothing scares me anymore with assembly!

As someone pointed out, isnt the bottom of the snap exposed? So add another layer of plastic to it and carefully glue around the exposed metal?

If they are putting snaps in material like nylon, how do they glue that into the armor? I'm not sure I could find anything local like CA Glue.

Again, thanks for all the replies!

I take the snap plate and make it a rectangle

then I put white duct tape over the back of the snap then using the remaining little squares at each end of the rectangle

I glue those portions to the armor.

it creates a barrier keeping the glue from reacting to the metal in the snap.

but you still have to be careful not to get glue on the metal parts.

you should not use superglue on armor.

it becomes brittle under flexible conditions and can ruin your armor if you spill it or it runns out onto the shine

use E-6000 and clamps... you can also use white duct tape to hold parts together from the inside.

then if you applied the tape smoothly enough, you could even leave it on the inside.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

I am thinking of using the snap plate idea. The amount of glue being used is it just a dab or a brush stroke of glue? Trying to picture the amount in my head. I am worried I may use to much and when you clamp it, the glue will squish towards the center and under the snap. I may have to use that duct tape idea.\

Thanks,

Gerrit

• 3 months later...

Hi LePaul,

Saw on another thread you were not enjoying cutting out the TEETH.

HOWTO: Helmet Building Tips

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=117

I might not have searched long enough for your build thread, and this one was all I saw.

Good luck!