New armor questions

Hello everyone. Hope to be acquiring a TK kit soon and have some questions. My build is 6'2" 180 lbs fairly athletic build. Doing some homework it looks like a AM kit would be my best bet. Also being a new builder sounds like a bit easier to build. Also some advice on a bucket, I know the FX bucket is a bit large. Would like the suit to be ABS for the durability and perhaps a bucket out of HIPS for the detail. Is it alright to mix the two? Any color matching issues? Any suggestions, thoughts, advice would be greatly welcome.

Thank you,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Your height and weight are absolutely identical to mine. I'm fairly new at this, but I am building AM armor with an AP helmet, which is also ABS. There is a slight color difference, but the movie suits had this too. There are lots of other great helmet choices out there.

If you'd like, check out my build thread to see what you might have in store, should you go this route:-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Looking at the AP bucket I believe I will go the same route you did. Hope you don't mind me contacting you in the near future for assistance on my build.

Thanks again,

Dan

Dan, don't forget to check out other armor type build threads....find ones where the troopers are close to your size...then see what armor they are building. You may find that some are your size and are building ATA, AP, TM, etc. This is not to discredit AM, but if you can get more accurate armor that can be made to fit you...why not? Just sayin'.

AM armor is good and the parts are a little larger in size compared to other kits. One of my squad mates has AP armor and is 6'3 average build and it fits him fine. You may need to add side shims and adjust the strap setup a certain way but most any kit can be made to fit.

I just dealt with ATA for some replacement parts. He deals in both ABS and styrene if you want to paint it yourself. He was fast and fair. For being as busy as he is, his responses to e-mails were quick. The armor itself is durable and is a dream to work with.

I'm happy.

Hey Dan.

I got AP armor with the helmet and the helmet fits me, but not my hubby.

He has a larger head... not sure the exact size. He's 6'4" - 215lbs. I'm

not that big. I know you can enlarge the helmet somewhat, but be careful

and ask about dimensions if you go with an AP bucket. I plan on getting my

husband RT-Mod.... since he has a big 'ol head! :) I'm sure you will make

an awesome set of armor. Jenny

Thanks Jenny, I went with ATA. Currently looking into other items I will need to make it Expert level. I figure if I build it at expert will save me time and perhaps money in the long run. Hate to have to go back and modify a built piece if I can avoid it. Just on the waiting list until my kit is ready. So advice on an expert build would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

Dan

Howdy Dan,

I had a whole paragraph of the places I look for EI info, then accidentally hit the back button and lost it. Crap! haaa haaa...

But, I'm on your plan too.... It's my 1st build and I wanted to go for EI from the start just like you... for the same reasons. Not too sure

I've saved any money... :leia: I seem to keep buying this or that for my build, but I love it, when I can afford it.

I like the Tips n Tricks sections, looking at everybody else's build sections, reading the questions people have, and

I'm constantly looking at this: http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt Are you going to do a new hope?

That site is for a new hope - stunt.. but I'm sure you know there are all the versions in that area. I found it on the forums

home page, to the left side.

When you finally do get your box you'll probably have that same excitement you did as a kid at birthdays or Christmas. That

part is really fun. Be sure to share the joy with everybody here, too! Congrats on your purchase!!! Take care, Jenny

Hard part is waiting. I'm pretty excited! I'm hooked! got the bug bad! I'm already thinking of the next build and I have not even started this one yet. lol Thinking perhaps a Clone Trooper but been looking at a Scout Trooper as well, I just want to have a set of scout armor and do a fly by on my bike just to see their expression, it would be worth it. Scout armor would so go with my cycle. :smiley-sw013: