Master Replica CE helmet

I had one and enjoyed it, It was significantly heavier than the average helmet though. I couldn't stand the seam below the frown, even after filling it in with caulk, it was still noticeable and annoying. After almost 2 years of trooping in it I decided I wanted something more accurate and upgraded.

It certainly has it's pros and cons. I have one and I love how sturdy and weighty it is, but it's symmetrical and that bugs the hell out of me.

Given that these days it's going for about the same as a kit from a good fan maker the only real time it's worth it is if you have a phobia of building stuff yourself. Don't get me wrong, I love mine as a display piece, but if this your starting purchase I say go straight to a more accurate bucket.

I went the other way I got the MR CE first I didn't originally like the fact that the trooper helmet is kinda badly shaped, I always had this vision of it being symmetrical and flawless. Its only been recently that I've started to appreciate the true to screen look.

I've got an RS helmet it is wicked, the service the guys provide is top class too.

I have what amounts to an MRCE... the ESB eFX. I love having it on my shelf next to all my other cheezy helmets. As a stand alone it is still iconic... but I wouldn't troop with it. I also have an RT-MOD bucket.... another idealized helmet (I'm wearing it as I type this playing with my new iComm). I yearn for bumps and warped accuracy. To each his own.

I guess the question is... what's your goal? Do you want a costume for halloween or do you want to look as screen accurate as possible? If you can pick up an MRCE cheaply and you need a helmet quickly... go for it. If you have time and interest then buy a kit and build your own... or have someone build it for you... check out this thread from Mike of Trooperbay. You could get an assembled great looking helmet for relatively cheap without the angst and retail regret of the MRCE.

Aloha,

-Eric

Here is a comparison of an MRCE and an accurate helmet MTK:

Master Replica Collectors Edition:

kroenen77_MR_CE_troop01.jpg

"MTK" Cap derived helmet:

Stormtrooper.jpg

*So, the things I don't like about the MRCE is that the ears are way too thick, the teeth don't look that great and in general the whole frown is too pinched in it's design as opposed to wide and spread out like the MTK. The tube stripes are too dark and thin on the MRCE and have to be replaced. You'll also need to replace the light green lenses that come with an MRCE as your eyes can still be seen in then especially when photographed with a flash.

But the thing that drove me nuts was that ugly sean running below the teeth and across the lower face:

Cheap_MR_storm03.jpg

I eventually upgraded to an MTK helmet.

Edited by bluehickey

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question in the same theme.

What is everyone's thoughts on the new EFX stormtrooper helmet that they are bringing out. Not the legend one but the other one.

Link below:

http://www.toy-palace.com/product_info.php?info=p7660_SW-A-New-Hope-Stormtrooper-Helmet-1-1-Replica.html

Is it just a re hash of the old MRCE or is it different?

What is everyone's thoughts on the new EFX stormtrooper helmet that they are bringing out. Not the legend one but the other one.

Link below:

http://www.toy-palac...-1-Replica.html

You'll have the same issue with that one as the MRCE.

Link below:

http://www.toy-palac...-1-Replica.html

It's the same shape...just another producer

• 3 months later...

I own the MRCE helmet and simply love the symmetry about it. I also like the narrow 'cheekbones'. Of course I started with some modding by drilling the outer paint indicated teeth and file them to a rectangular form. I also trimmed down the casting flash on the lower face part and repainted it. Also painted the rim of the Hovi aerators to look more accurate.

Now I'm looking for new lenses flat or bubble and will certainly do something about the ears. I alreadey wrote TK-9135 about lenses, but haven't got a reply yet. Are there other sources with MRCE specific lenses out there?

0KuXwY6.jpg

Current state of my MRCE

MYqEA7Z.jpg

The drilled and filed teeth

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm not the only one who prefers the symmetry and smoothness of the MRCE! I do agree that there are less expensive helmets out there now (I got mine for a mere $65 four years ago), but I enjoy a challenge.

For lenses, find a welding supply store and pick up a dark green face shield. This will save you money.

• 8 months later...

Well it's been a long time without update, but here are some modifications that took place on the lid in the meantime:

cQG5JWx.jpg

The ears were trimmed and the screws inserted.

mpbkVIS.jpg

The gap below the frown is filled up, sanded and repainted.

9WEHDSb.jpg

New lense material cut and incorporated into the lid. As you can see even the frontal flash of the camera does not penetrate the lenses.

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021