Trimming ATA armor

Hello fellow trooper. I currently have a ATA armor set and i am about to start trimming my armor. The only issue i currently have is that i cant seem to find any reference on how much i need to takee off the armor. I was hoping if you guys could post pictures of your armor to show how much i should take off. Thank you

Look in the armor builds section, there are quite a few people that have built ATA armor on this site. If you are still unsure just post pic's of what you intend to cut, like Ricky said and have fun :)

Ok, here you go.... if you look at the inside of the return edge of any of the sections, there will be a definative smooth area, then a "line". On the other side of this "line" will be a less smooth area, kind of rough. The less smooth area has to go, leaving the smooth area. Once you look at and trim one or two you will see it quite easily. You can trim close with a hobby or utility knife then dremmel more closer. Hope this helps.

I decided now was as good a time as any to start working on the armor....no more wimping out!

Ā 

I quickly ran out of space to upload reduced-sized pictures (may I have more?)....I would like to know if the lines I have traced look right to everybody before I even attempt any trimming!

Ā 

THANK YOU

post-15316-0-03492700-1317863369_thumb.jpg

post-15316-0-95280700-1317863370_thumb.jpg

post-15316-0-56750000-1317863372_thumb.jpg

post-15316-0-93900000-1317863373_thumb.jpg

post-15316-0-68188700-1317863375_thumb.jpg

post-15316-0-23612100-1317863377_thumb.jpg

post-15316-0-52218100-1317863378_thumb.jpg

post-15316-0-96735000-1317863379_thumb.jpg

On 10/6/2011 at 8:06 AM, n0c00lgamertag said:

Ok, here you go.... if you look at the inside of the return edge of any of the sections, there will be a definative smooth area, then a "line". On the other side of this "line" will be a less smooth area, kind of rough. The less smooth area has to go, leaving the smooth area. Once you look at and trim one or two you will see it quite easily. You can trim close with a hobby or utility knife then dremmel more closer. Hope this helps.

Ā 

ONuibeS.jpgGWcO44H.jpg

Thanks for that hi-res picture....see its tidbits of information like THAT I need to get before cutting :)

Ā 

Today my nomex gloves arrived, they aren't a solid black all around but should work

Ā 

I did a test cut with the Dremel EZ Lock (larger, fine cutting discs) and noticed a good deal of melting, which easily sanded/filed off. Should I be using a different cutting wheel?

Because Nomex gloves are basically two material types the hue will not be consistent over the entire glove and can give a 2-tone look. Is that what you're referring to?

Ā 

Yes, the plastic will melt a little at the edge. Sanding will clean that up. The Dremel cutting wheel and sanding wheel work great.

Ā 

Yes, a lot of troopers use canvas belts. They are screen-accurate and more comfortable than a plastic belt. There are a few here on the forums that sell canvas belts or you can make your own.

I first cut with a utility knife. Buy a lot of blades because once they dull it gets a bit difficult. Then I used the sanding wheel on the dremmel. You can fine trim quite easily without melting. I use a TKittel canvas belt. Got it right here on the forum.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=10293&hl=&fromsearch=1

Also, my gloves are nomex flight gloves as well. They are black nomex and leather. Once your handplates are on the difference is hardly noticed.

Edited by n0c00lgamertag