MTK ANH Helmet Build

So there I was, just chilling on my computer, and suddenly my mother breaches the door wielding a big brown box. I turn in surprise, wondering what it might be, then I realise 'It must be my helmet!' and as such I run to my room with it and grab my box-cutter (being careful to photograph the box first) and proceed to open the box. Lo and behold! There was my beatifully crafted MTK lid from Trooperbay. Might I say, the service was great, very fast and all. The information was great too. smile.gif Now, for the picuters (only took four tongue.gif)

The mysterious brown box...

IMG_0156.jpg

My pro box-cutting skills attained from the drudgery of retail work. :P

IMG_0157.jpg

All packaged quite nicely. :)

IMG_0158.jpg

and all laid out nicely on my bed. :)

IMG_0159.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I've been looking for those threads. :P I don't want to start until I have some pics to go by. :P Paranoia is setting in about ruining it haha. :) I did order some rare earth magnets though..and when I say some I mean 120.... XD

The boxes are so good. :P When you've ordered heaps of stuff it's like a game trying to figure out which one it is. :)

I will take a lot of pictures, when I start. :P:)

S'more pics. smile.gif

There's a bit of a bump (that you can see in pics 1, 2, and 3) in one of the ears, and I'm not sure if that will affect the helmet at all or if it will just be cut off anyway..?

I pencilled out some cut lines on the eyes and teeth too, but I'm not sure if I did it right..?? I'm a bit paranoid as there aren't any real definitive guidelines on the helmet. tongue.gif I feel the eyes should be ok, but not too sure about the teeth. Do the outlines really even matter that much? Or will the teeth and eyes turn out alright with just a basic guide? Also, the front and cap/back don't seem to sit together very well, weill I need to do some trimming? The tubes don't really match up when the frown does properyl and vice versa. :/

Sorry for all the questions. wink.gif

Hopefully I'll get a hold of a dremel sometime this week or next week and start some cutting out, then I can post more pics!! biggrin.gif

IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

(The one on the left of the photo is the bumpy one, the other is just to compare)

IMG_0163.jpg

Left eye. smile.gif (Will that bump matter? Or is that just adding character? tongue.gif)

IMG_0165.jpg

Right eye. smile.gif

IMG_0166.jpg

The teefs. tongue.gif (outlines look a bit dodgy I think. sad.gif)

IMG_0167.jpg

Maybe it's just how I am holding it? I tried a few different ways but nothing really seemed right. sad.gif

IMG_0169.jpg

It definitely looks wrong here, as though there is not enough curve on the side part.

IMG_0171.jpg

This one's not really a great shot, but you get the idea. tongue.gif

IMG_0172.jpg

It's not just me right? That looks a bit off..?

IMG_0170.jpg

You're going to be cutting the ears to about here:

76afb50a.jpgI

So, no, that wrinkle won't matter at all. It looks like you could be cutting a lot more in the teeth too.

Also until you trim the edges of the from and back it's gonna be hard to tell exactly where to place them to sit just how you want.

Also until you trim the edges of the from and back it's gonna be hard to tell exactly where to place them to sit just how you want.

The edges of the what..? :huh::P The helmet?

I mean the excess plastic around the faceplate and cap, as per these pics from Pandatrooper's tutorial:

5506200553_46ca4e5fce_z.jpg

5506798882_ddc68bed63_z.jpg

5506800842_5a8d31efb4_z.jpg

5506799902_fc9052648d_z.jpg

5506205601_d7430495d6_z.jpg

5506206679_613b9f4e84_z.jpg

5506805006_614384d602_z.jpg

5506806058_c5dc8e59dd_z.jpg

5506807018_75d9eab5af_z.jpg

Which can be found here:

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=14806&hl=helmet&fromsearch=1

Unless of course MTK Pre trimmed these for you (I can't tell with the close up photos) but that's usually what causes the initial 'Hey this doesn't fit together' reaction :)

I think most of it was pretrimmed, but some parts still need trimming, sorry for the bad wuality photos too, I'm using my iPod camera lol.

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

You can sorta see the outline for trimming here, I have yet to pencil it in though.

IMG_0188.jpg

These might help...

http://trooperbay.com/videos/videos-2/

and

HELMET ASSEMBLY MANUAL

If you need any help I can answer your questions too :)

The rear of the cap is pretty much trimmed.

The front of the cap has a line that you can follow when cutting but it all depends upon what type of helmet you are doing too. The line is for Stunt TK.

The eyes have faint lines INSIDE the faceplate that you can follow

The teeth are trimmed from inside ( or at least thats how I do it. ) and once you tirim off enough you can use an exacto knife or jewelers file to get them the way you want them.

Dont trim the chin until you have the helmet assembled, so the faceplate will mate up with the ears and cap n back nicely.

Follow my video on trimming the ears.

Thanks for all the reference pics and stuff everyone!! :) They're helping heaps. Now as soon as I get my hands on some cutting tools I can start trimming!! :D

I don't..? In every reference pic I've seen it's been cut around abouts where that line is.

Wll, I'm glad I asked before I started to cut then haha I just gotta get the marker off now.

I see...I have yet to actually do anything besides mark the kit..I am soo paranoid about cutting anything. :( Plus I don't have any of the tools yet so there's that too. :P

(It should be ask twice, cut once. :P)

Trooperbay's right. It will make no difference if you cut that off or not. Concentrate on getting those eyes and teeth cut out correctly. Take it little by little. You can always trim more but you can't replace it if you take too much.