HIPS vs. ABS...the final thread frontier

Okay, so a lot has been said about HIPS vs ABS; my research findings ultimately have come to this:

HIPS plastic contains resins that differ from supplier to supplier; that is, there is no guarantee you know exactly what polymer is in the material, but you can be pretty sure that you can find lower prices for HIPS as opposed to ABS. HIPS is a more brittle material compared to ABS, but thinner vac forming means crisper, more screen accurate pulls in many cases. Painting is necessary, but provides a protective barrier from the elements against the plastic.

ABS is a more standardized plastic, commonly used in automotive applications. ABS is a stronger compound. New and improved vac processes have improved pull accuracy and minimized the "softness" of ABS pulls, but not always as crisp as HIPS. ABS has a tendency to yellow when exposed to the elements for a long period of time.

But what is the real difference in strength? Is HIPS armor unsuitable for trooping? For troopers who have opted for the less expensive HIPS armor, any experiences with frequently replacing HIPS parts? If so, what are some precautionary measures you can take to preserve your armor from cracks or chips?

Generally, I have read that heavy trooping necessitates ABS armor. But for the trooper on a budget, does this exclude him from say, going to a concert in full gear or say a weekend tailgate/bar scene? Thank you in advance for your advice FISD!!

I have both ABS and HIPS suits and helmets. so far i really haven’t had a issue with structural integrity. i do admit that i am more cautious with the HIPS on account of the thickness and paint job. Really beat the tar out of the ABS. but so far no real issue.

I prefer abs as it doesn’t need to be painted and I feel more comfortable working with it. But that’s my personal choice.

Abs is tougher for sure. But I have trooped in my HIPs TD more than my ABS TK and the HIPS has held up just fine. Depends on how rough you are and how well its assembled too, but I wouldn't discount HIPS if budget is a concern.

I've only had a hips bucket before so I can't really speak about the armor, but yeah definitely like the ABS way more than HIPS. I had around 3 or 4 cracks, one very serious one, on my bucket in the year that I spent trooping with it. That's not to say that my ABS armor didn't crack, but I wasn't really putting as much stress on my bucket as on some of the armor pieces that gave me problems so yeah. I troop a lot and I appreciate durability way more than anything HIPS can offer.

Sorry to get off topic, but if I'm not comfortable with the HIPS' durability, is there something that can be done about it? Like, reinforcing it with e6000 coated with fabric or perhaps resin?

You can try - I never have. What I have noticed on my two sets of TE2 is that I've worn out and replaced an ab plate, and there are cracks in the tubes of a few helmets. Also, I have some cracks at the return edges on the tops of the thighs. Other parts are holding up OK.

It's true that my old ABS armor took far more abuse in stride than the HIPS, but with spare parts being cheap (thanks ATA!) so far the HIPS has proven just as cost effective given that it's cheaper to buy in the first place.

so the difference between the two would be a sort of counter ballanced tie? If I get it straigt, HIPS is a bit cheaper, makes nicer better cut lines, but is not s resistant as ABS that is is a bit more expensive, pulls out are a bit less crisp, and it becomes yellow in the sun. It's take and give, but they both have advantages and inconvinences don't they? So how to make a choice? I have not yet had an armor yet so how can I choose?

The yellowing is on the batch of plastics... Its not really across the board gonna happen. ABS is really the way to go if you are going to be hard on your armor. I loved the ABS FX kit I had,now I wear HIPS. Really its the way you plan on handling your armor is the way it will last. I don't know if I would roll down a hill in either. Really taking care of your armor is the key. Either plastic can be great.

Holy crap! 2001 posts!

Edited by Runnriottt

Most of my cracks on my HIPS armor are found around the chest and abdomen armor (return edged). Looks like it has something to do with how the armor is put when stored as well, mine is put inside a hard shell suit case, and the chest plate experiences some pressure from the front.

• 1 month later...

Iv been wearing my ABS FX suit for 10 years now and have never had a problem. ABS may cost more up front but Iv definataly gotten my monies worth out of it and piece of mind. Just my 2 cents worth.....