sskunky's Endor weathering technique tutorial........

To weather it I sand the whole armour down using a 1200/1500 grit wet and dry to take the sheen off. Then I use a coarser sandpaper like 400/320 grit and sand inside the recess areas and the raised parts/edges.

The fun part of the whole process is when I kick it down the stone stairs of the flats I live in and then generally kick it about the floor on the concrete, grass and any other surface I can find. I'm sure at this point most of you would have a heart attack! :lol:

Then I soak a piece of paper towel in wood stain and apply it all over the plastic and let it dry. Using turps/white spirit and another paper towel and remove as much of the wood stain that will come off.

If you have any areas that are too scratched or not looking like natural weathering then you can sand it a bit more with a fine grade paper until it fades a bit. It's all a bit of trial and error until it looks right. Everyone has different ideas on weathering....too much, not enough... etc. The more you rub with the turps/ white spirit the less brown and more yellow the wood stain becomes and it starts to look old rather than just dirty.

Once I have the look I want I then buff it with newspaper to give it a blackened dirty look over the top.

On this occasion I am undecided to go full SE Sandtrooper or just go dirty Endor...... What is the general consensus?

I hope that makes sense?

Tools of the trade.....

CFOEndorWeathering21.jpg

CFOEndorWeathering31.jpg

Helmet start point.....

CFOEndorWeathering41.jpg

Lets go......

CFOEndorWeathering51.jpg

CFOEndorWeathering61.jpg

Then I start to remove the stain with Turps.....

CFOEndorWeathering81-1.jpg

CFOEndorWeathering71.jpg

CFOEndorWeathering81-1.jpg

Any weathering I want to make a bit more subtle I use a scouring pad to soften the stain.

CFOEndorWeathering101-1.jpg

It's buff with newspaper time......

CFOEndorWeathering15.jpg

CFOEndorWeathering14.jpg

I like to rough up the paint a little too....... Gives it that 30+ year look......

CFOEndorWeathering111-1.jpg

CFOEndorWeathering12.jpg

CFOEndorWeathering13.jpg

weatheredCFO083.jpg

Finished helmet on moi!

DSC02877.jpg

DSC02880.jpg

DSC02881.jpg

Thanks for posting this! I may take this into consideration when making my build.

On another note, I also have been kicking my armor about. I kicked my ESB chest plate across the room the other day face down. Too bad my floors are clean. :laugh1:

• 5 months later...

Dude - this is awesome.

What armor is that?

I just saw the real deal at a Star Wars exhibit and yours looks identical.

It's a CFO armour, made by Sskunky himself. :)

Dude - this is awesome.

What armor is that?

I just saw the real deal at a Star Wars exhibit and yours looks identical.

That's a great accolade!

Yes this is my CFO ROTJ armour.

I'm building 2 more suits at the same time this and next week. Ones going to be clean the other weathered like this. Then both are going out to two hopefully happy troopers:)

This is Awesome Mark! thanks for posting this. :salute:

BTW, how is the batteries' life on your watch when you use the laser? ;)

Cheers

A

Thanks buddy....

The laser.....hmmm...... That's how I trim my armour! You'd be surprised how long the batteries last. Of course they are a top secret development. Only Q could answer that one. ;)

Edited by sskunky

That's a great accolade!

Yes this is my CFO ROTJ armour.

I'm building 2 more suits at the same time this and next week. Ones going to be clean the other weathered like this. Then both are going out to two hopefully happy troopers:)

Mark, if my armour looks half as good as the pics in this thread, I'll be more than happy :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley: Feel free to post pics of you kickin' it around too, my heart can take it! :popcorn:

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...