Any hope to clean this up?

Turtle84

is that helmet ABS? also you really should remove the lenses and brow trim before painting..

if the helmet is ABS and if you didn't sand the surface you might be able to scrape it off with a flat piece of plastic (like a credit card)

I'm not sure if it's ABS. The card trick is working somewhat. Instead of a dark blue, there is a light blue. The light blue seems to be smearing a little. I really want to try paint thinner but I'm not sure what would happen as far as smearing.

Edited by Turtle84

id leave it alone for a day scrape off what you can, then take a Q-tip with a bit of rubbing alcohol to remove the light blue. perhaps even a Mr clean magic eraser (dont use it with any chemicals!!!)

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser.do

with the commander/EU, the plus is that you'll want to scuff the surface a little to weather it anyway.. so if you make an oops dont sweat it too much :) if all else fails just sand it with a very fine grit automotive sandpaper.. unless your going for the shiny idealized look...

is that helmet ABS? also you really should remove the lenses and brow trim before painting..

if the helmet is ABS and if you didn't sand the surface you might be able to scrape it off with a flat piece of plastic (like a credit card)

I'm sorry if this is obvious, but is sanding required/recommended anytime you paint ABS? Like, for tube stripes and traps? How do you get a shine back once it's sanded/painted?

yikes. Next time, use Frog Tape, its the best!

I assume this is spray paint, which means its oil based. I would use motsenbocker's liftoff product. heres a link to the website. -

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Answering your ABS question, if that is the RT MOD lid you were talking about in another thread (and judging by the ears I'm all but certain it is), then it's made of 0.08 glossy ABS - that's the only material Rob uses.

id leave it alone for a day scrape off what you can, then take a Q-tip with a bit of rubbing alcohol to remove the light blue. perhaps even a Mr clean magic eraser (dont use it with any chemicals!!!)

http://www.mrclean.c...magic-eraser.do

ya what Mason said!!!!! i use a wooden tooth pick and lightly scracth the dry paint that has been soften with rubbing alcohol, workd every time for me!!!!!!

for the next time the helmet needs to be clean,dry and try to use gloves or avoid touching it while applying the blue tape, blue tape will peel of or lift if the helmet wasnt clean. that explains the run off. no sweat now u will never do it again ;)