Helmet padding?

Warmshoe

I've seen two recommendations recently for teeth mesh screen material:

1.) Hobby or art stores sell a mesh that you wrap around a form that you then sculpt on top of.

2.) The mesh used for screen/patio doors.

I'll let the experts chime in on the helmet padding.

I take a piece of nylon screen material, black in color, and then I use white duct tape at the top and the bottom of the screen.

I double layer the screen by folding it lenghwise.

using 2 sections, one for each side of the helmet I align and press the screen into the lid.

by using white duct tape you can remove it for cleaning or for CANNON events.

I just use standard patio screen. I got a huge roll for like 5 bucks. I always add two layers. It may not be screen accurate, but it really helps so that the kiddies don't see your face on troops. You can glue it on with hot glue or ca or tape. It's up to you.

Edited by bobojuice

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advise folks, i know mash and padding is not used in ANH, but im going to be using my armour for trooping not display. Thanks again one and all

Sorry did i just say mash? well im sure they didnt use mash in ANH, that just wouldnt look good at all. Then again i could always eat as i troop if i used mash?!

I use two layers also. I use one straight up and down and the second layer at a 45 degree angle (if that makes any sense). ---Like a + covered by an X.

EXACTLY how I do my mesh as well, works great. Accuracy is nice and all but I don't like kids seeing any of me under my costume.

As to the padding, I use T-Ball helmets at Wal*Mart for about 10 bucks. I just remove the pads from the helmet and using sticky velcro, install them in the bucket. The velcro leaves you no permanent installation so you can adjust them or remove for cleaning, etc.. Has worked great for me for years now.

I saw this recommended and got a bunch of it - way more than I needed. LOL. Guess I'll have some for other helmets I make.

-

Cheap stuff, too.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Unfortunately im in edinburgh, so the door meshing is not easy to come by here, anlo the baseball lids are impossible to get, haha. I'll find some though, as I'm not the first!

I remember the first time I went to the UK I was so surprised that windows weren't screened. You just open em up and there you go, straight outside! Madness!

I remember the first time I went to the UK I was so surprised that windows weren't screened. You just open em up and there you go, straight outside! Madness!

why madness? this is quite common in europe.

Some folks put in some thin screen only in summer, but only to keep insects out.

We're all mad over here. Almost as mad as our inconsitant weather.

Back on topic. I used the inside of a hard hat. You know the kind? The ones you get on a building site. Try E-bay. They're only a few quid.

Regarding padding I really recommend MICH pads (the kind they use in modern military helmets), you can get packs of them really cheap over on the bay of e.

You can fit them as you want for a snug and great fit.

They fit great for my use, to keep the helmet in place and not wobble.

I also don't use any padding on top, as I have a long neck and extra padding would make the helmet sit unnaturally high and look goofy.

So this worked out perfect for me.