Helmet Question

Turtle84

Pretty shortly my new ears will be arriving so I decided to see how easy it would be to take off the existing ones. The two side screws on each ear came out fine but I ran into this problem. I started to feel very uneasy when I came to this so I figured I would hop on and see what you guys would recomend on how to remove this. It appears to be a rivet. BahRpFa.jpg

Be aware these things can heat up fast, i would suggsest doing a few seconds at a time and letting it cool and like marv said use some grease to help more - it will take a little longer but you wont risk melting the plastic.

Edited by gh05ty

This is the same way we remove rivets from nut-plates on Aircraft. Our Sheet Metal guys drill the middle out and typically it will break the rivet. I won't beat the proverbial dead horse but Heat is a usual issue and I know this plastic melts. But if you start out with a smaller bit you can carefully work your way up till it breaks the back piece off. Do as SCtrooper says with the pliers and you will be fine.

So to surmise everything, find a drill bit to fit the rivet, put a wet rag on the opposite side of the rivet to ensure cooling, and drill it in reverse to pull it out?

No, drill it normally, in forward.