Black details on helmet

Have a question for the experts out there. Black details on the ANH Stormtrooper, chin, traps, ears ect. Is the black gloss or semi gloss? Another question are the ears on the ESB version the same color detal as the ANH? I know on the ESB frown and chin is semi gloss. One of those details I am not 100% about. Thanks

I need to touch up the vocoder on my TM ESB. Definitely going with satin black, but is there a specific brand you all use?

I couldn't find any reference to "satin black" on the Testors website, and I'm hesistant about using Rustoleum spray (since I'm not doing a total repaint, merely a touch-up). I'm thinking Humbrol at this point since TM assembled it and that's probably what he used, only problem is I'm leery of buying a can of paint over the web from a UK-based manufacturer and having to "import" a potentially hazardous chemical. I already checked on Mike's website (Trooperbay), it looks like he dosen't carry Humbrol satin black.

Any ideas? :unsure:

I always use sprays. I take a piece of aluminum foil and wrap it around a cylindrical object like the spray can itself. I squish it down so it has a bit of strength and spray into there. Use what I need and when I'm done, throw it out. Easy cleanup. :)

Mix even parts Testors flat black with Testors gloss black.

Hmmn, interesting. And I think I actually have bottles of both flat and gloss in the garage. I'll give that a go - thanks! :)

Should that be added as foot notes on here then- Thats what i went by so all my black is testors gloss, and its pretty glossy.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Rustoleum Satin black enamel in a 32 oz paint can (not spray) is available at home depot. Part #7777 Its a lifetime supply of satin black enamel and I forget the price, but its under $8.00 I believe...(Dont hold me to that Tom)

Humbrol and Testors do not make Satin Black enamel in their regular line.

Testors "Model Masters" series does have Satin Black available in most hobby stores.

Humbrol offers a coal satin bleack enamel that does not work - its too gray.

Humbrol as an acrylic satin black but....its acrylic.

Hope this info helps. :)

I always use sprays. I take a piece of aluminum foil and wrap it around a cylindrical object like the spray can itself. I squish it down so it has a bit of strength and spray into there. Use what I need and when I'm done, throw it out. Easy cleanup. :)

After wandering around today trying to find something to spray silver into to paint the ejector port of my hasbro.... I ended up wasting a plastic cup or two. Tinfoil. So simple... duh!

Thanks man. Now when I finish touching up the blaster I'll just use the same spray I painted it with.

Aloha,

-Eric

• 4 weeks later...