Liquid/Water Cooling Elements

Just out of curiosity, has anyone attempted to have their buckets liquid cooled? I'm familiar with the PC component side of this (haven't actually SEEN it though). How did the results turn out if you did? What set-backs did you run into?

The reason I ask is because the cooling system could keep us cooler in a sense that you're not twirling already hot air in your lid around and around. Maybe we could get together, brainstorm ideas and potentially come up with a better cooling system that's also relatively cheap. Key word: Relatively. It probably won't be as cheap as a 10-15 dollar fan but I can tell you with living where I am (Puerto Rico) it's hot year-round and it would certainly be a boost.

The problems with liquid cooling a helmet probably make it un-workable.

#1 At the temperatures we are talking about ~100F liquid cooling is much less efficient than air cooling. You would need to run a lot of pretty well chilled coolant to make any difference.

#2 You would need a good amount of surface area on a heat exchanger...which means it would need a fair amount of space in the bucket.

#3 it would be heavy and you would need a way to circulate it...requiring some kind of pump somewhere.

You are probably better off trying to find an optimum arrangement for air cooling. Probably and intake squirrel fan at the frown area and an exhaust squirrel near the bucket opening which should keep the air changing over inside the helmet.

Doesn't sound workable in a helmet, but I imagine it can be made to work (although it might be heavy and expensive) for the body armor. Something like the one-piece garmet with cooling tubes embedded in it that is worn by space-suited astronauts.

On 9/8/2011 at 6:10 AM, tkrestonva said:

Doesn't sound workable in a helmet, but I imagine it can be made to work (although it might be heavy and expensive) for the body armor. Something like the one-piece garmet with cooling tubes embedded in it that is worn by space-suited astronauts.

That reminds me, I think it had been mentioned on here and I looked it up. There is stuff like this if you really wanted one, probably cost no more than a liquid cooling system anyway.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

On 9/8/2011 at 6:16 AM, bobojuice said:

We had a girl from Alabama come with one of these---------things and it was pretty awesome. Just add water and it stays cold the entire day.

On 9/8/2011 at 6:14 AM, kevster said:

That reminds me, I think it had been mentioned on here and I looked it up. There is stuff like this if you really wanted one, probably cost no more than a liquid cooling system anyway.

-----------

Both of those are awesome finds, I'll try and look into those more. The vest is particularly interesting since it'll help cool down there core more which will in turn cool down the rest of you.

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 2 weeks later...

I know this might be a radical concept, but no one mentioned good ol' hydration. We are not talking about pounding down a gallon of water an hour before your troop. That does nothing except bloat you and then make you warm and squishy in your boots...gross! It can actually be somewhat dangerous to drink that much fluid in such a short period of time. The human body has its ways of thermostatically controlling itself if given the right tool...water. You must plan ahead though and drink large amounts the night before..I am talking about a gallon total throughout the evening. Yes, you will be running to the bathroom a lot. But since you did this over a long time, your body will absorb the water down to a cellular level within your body. Something that can only be done over time. You might lose a bit of shut eye getting up in the middle of the night, but, you will be FULLY hydrated for the next day. One additional drink and one last trip to the washroom just before your troop and you are good to go! I am not saying you won't sweat...you will. But your body will have it to use as you own cooling system. The fans in your helmet will further regulate your temp by cooling the sweat in your helmet. I have used this method time and time again both in 90 degree parades and street festivals just standing in the sun for hours. It's magic...and mostly free.

Edited by gazmosis

Having done the totally un-breathe-able costume thing at Disneyland in 100-degree heat, I've been looking into cooling systems. One of the Vaders at SDCC last summer was talking about his battery-powered personal air conditioning shirt or something. I have been doing searches and there are many kinds: the expensive electronic kind all the way down to the frozen ice pack kind. I might try rigging up something of my own. Here --------

I'm also wondering if anyone's rigged some kind of sneaky camelback bladder... hooked into the back and up the neck into their bucket. It should be invisible.

I guess I can experiment with all this fun stuff while I wait for my armor to arrive... there's no shortage of heat in So Cal.

Edited by gmrhodes13