The Best Sterling Templates EVER!

ZeroRoom

I've had a heap of trouble finding 40mm pipe. I went to a plumbing store, asked for 40mm OD pipe.. Measured it when I got home, ended up being like 43mm OD :/

Would you be able to let me know where to get pipe from tongue.png

Reece plumbing or dotmar plastics

Stainless? Ouch.

Most types of stainless are a pain to drill/saw/mill, to work in any way - you better try if you can work with it to get it into a needed shape.

Try to drill one of the needed 12mm holes, and then multiply the needed effort. I have a mill and a lathe, and i refrain from using stainless whenever it´s possible to use something else.

stainless is easy speeds and feeds need to be correct and coolent

my tafe teacher told us not to use any coolant and go fast and hard

you want blue chips flying off in little C shape

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Lucas & told him people were worried about him as he's been so quiet. He's replied with this message to pass on to everyone. Anyone who was fearing the worst can breathe a sigh of relief :)

"My apologies for being off the grid so long. Work has been intense and all my non work time has been taken up with my father's recovery. Being that he's pretty much immobile I have to do a lot of running around for him. My brother lives in Canada so I'm pretty much it as far as care givers goes, which doesn't leave much room for a social life!

Thankfully, despite the time issues my dad is on the mend, although it remains to be seen whether he'll ever get back to walking.

I'm trying to ease myself back into the real world with hopes that my dad will continue to get more independent, so I will be sure to contact back all those people who have been chasing me - let them know I'll be in touch shortly."

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

• 1 month later...

I have emailed Lucas a few times recently as I'm trying to get this done for you all but unfortunately I have no reply to my recent emails. I did get a response a while back when Andy posted his update and I have a few plans going off to the laser cutters but I think I'm still missing a few parts to the plans. When I do get a reply from Lucas I'll update. Hopefully I will have a few kits available soon for you all.....

Stay tuned! :salute:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! What an amazing thread! Even without the finished templates the reference pictures and dimensions listed are a wealth of information that I have been unable to find anywhere else. Thank you all so much for your exhaustive work! I stopped mid build on my E-11 a few years ago due to frustrations with poor templates. I can't wait to get my hands on the completed templates and go back to work! I am thinking airsoft E-11... Best of luck to Lucas. I hope that all is well.

Thanks for all the hard work. I am trying to make a couple of E-11 blasters for my son and nephew. I live in the USA and the closest size to 38 mm or 40 mm pipe we have is 1.25 inch ID PVC pipe. The OD is 1.66 inches or 42.16 mm. Can a set of pipe templates be drawn for the 42.16 mm pipe? The next size smaller we have is 1.0 inch ID pipe which is 1.35 inches OD or 34.3 mm. Here is a link to a reference chart for USA PVC pipe dimensions http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-dimensions-d_795.html .

Thanks for all the hard work. I am trying to make a couple of E-11 blasters for my son and nephew. I live in the USA and the closest size to 38 mm or 40 mm pipe we have is 1.25 inch ID PVC pipe. The OD is 1.66 inches or 42.16 mm. Can a set of pipe templates be drawn for the 42.16 mm pipe? The next size smaller we have is 1.0 inch ID pipe which is 1.35 inches OD or 34.3 mm. Here is a link to a reference chart for USA PVC pipe dimensions http://www.engineeri...ions-d_795.html .

I measured around the outside of the pipe then adjusted the template to that size, only the width not the length, then printed, worked a treat for me. May just add that some electrical pipe can me slightly smaller then pvc water pipe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all great thread! I'm starting my E11 build and generated some 3d from proportion sketches, which I can't be sure are correct. Would anyone be able to confirm these Sterling L2A3 dimensions?

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

On 9/8/2012 at 7:45 PM, vader74 said:

stainless is easy speeds and feeds need to be correct and coolent

my tafe teacher told us not to use any coolant and go fast and hard

you want blue chips flying off in little C shape

Sorry for the late reply, havn´t been in this thread for a long time.

It all comes down to the machines you have access to. I assume most people in the hobby only have hand tools, or some machines from Harbour Freight (or something that way).

So most (if not all) don´t have a flood cooling to use the proper indexable tips. Without that you are left with HSS tools, and to make heavy cuts without cooling and getting blue c-chips ..... you need a more rigid machine than the usual "Grizzly" and what else it is named.

In my basement i only have such small machines, too. They are rather small (Mill 130 Kg, Lathe just over 200Kg), but used much more than the others cause i can stay in the warm house in all weathers. ;)

-------

I wouldn´t want to abuse them with heavy stainless work. A small piece here and there, yes - but nothing big.

In the garage i have bigger old industrial machines (i like that, just as others buy and work on old cars), they are not so often used as the above cause the garage is not heatet - but they are much more rigid (yet still under 1 ton class). Nonetheless i don´t wan´t the mess from a massive flood cooling in my garage, i prefer that used with machines in a cabin where the mess stays inside.

I decided for myself that if i need stainless work done, i have it done in a machine shop.

But for sure, the last thing i want to do is working on a stainless piece of unknown alloy with handtools and a harbour freight drillpress. Even if it would be given to me for free, there are easier ways to get a job done. :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

On 11/30/2012 at 9:25 PM, Lichtbringer said:

Sorry for the late reply, havn´t been in this thread for a long time.

It all comes down to the machines you have access to. I assume most people in the hobby only have hand tools, or some machines from Harbour Freight (or something that way).

So most (if not all) don´t have a flood cooling to use the proper indexable tips. Without that you are left with HSS tools, and to make heavy cuts without cooling and getting blue c-chips ..... you need a more rigid machine than the usual "Grizzly" and what else it is named.

In my basement i only have such small machines, too. They are rather small (Mill 130 Kg, Lathe just over 200Kg), but used much more than the others cause i can stay in the warm house in all weathers. ;)

I wouldn´t want to abuse them with heavy stainless work. A small piece here and there, yes - but nothing big.

In the garage i have bigger old industrial machines (i like that, just as others buy and work on old cars), they are not so often used as the above cause the garage is not heatet - but they are much more rigid (yet still under 1 ton class). Nonetheless i don´t wan´t the mess from a massive flood cooling in my garage, i prefer that used with machines in a cabin where the mess stays inside.

I decided for myself that if i need stainless work done, i have it done in a machine shop.

But for sure, the last thing i want to do is working on a stainless piece of unknown alloy with handtools and a harbour freight drillpress. Even if it would be given to me for free, there are easier ways to get a job done. :)

OMG, that is my DREAM workspace. I simply can not afford even a "Small" lathe like yours, to say nothing of the milling machine. I am SOOOOO jealous...

• 1 month later...

This is AWESOME!!!

I've read this whole thread and I am ENERGIZED. I want to build one now!

Is the whole package posted together somewhere? Or do I have to go through each post and save pix ......?

Thanks for your efforts! They ARE appreciated.

-lamont

Really amazing work and attention to detail! Many thanks to all for the hard work and effort by those of you who contributed to this.

Obviously, I live in the states and I have a question. I know that the templates are for outside diameter measurements. I looked through the plumbing section at the hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) and found that (1) plumbing pipe is WAY to thick -- and of course is measured by internal diameter; and (2) drain pipes are much thinner but appear to measure at 38.1 mm (this is a guess as I do not have an accurate measuring system. However, the 38.1 mm template ficts perfectly and the 40 mm is too big.

So my questions are:

Where in the States can someone find 40 mm pipe that is not too thick?

More importantly, will the Doppydoos pieces custom fit to a 38.1 mm PVC pipe build?

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere. My searching skills sometimes fail me! :P

Edited by Ibnzbass4

Just a quick note about pipe sizes. Plastic pipe is very hard to get hold of in 1.5" or 38 mm. If you buy plastic (ABS or PVC) plumbing pipe sold as 1.5 inch it will probably measure between 40 and 43 mm outside diameter. Pressure pipe will be 40mm, pushfit waste comes in at about 41mm and solvent weld abs at 43mm. (you might also come across 1.25" pressure pipe at 42.2mm).

If you want exactly 1.5" you can get acrylic tube (perspex) but this is a little brittle if you drop it. Or my preferred option is aluminium tube. You can buy this in various wall thickness and it is relatively easy to work compared to steel. It paints up nice if you use the right primer and also keeps the weight down.

Wil

Edited by Neutronium
  • Like 1

I've been trying to get hold of Lucas for a while now but he seems to have fallen off the radar. I was hoping to have all the laser plans so we could get this ball rolling. I've got some of them but still missing some major pieces.

Until Lucas gets back to me my hands are tied. I know he's been busy with family and work.

Hopefully he'll find some time to get back on the hobby again soon.

Cheers,

Mark.

Just a quick note about pipe sizes. Plastic pipe is very hard to get hold of in 1.5" or 38 mm. If you buy plastic (ABS or PVC) plumbing pipe sold as 1.5 inch it will probably measure between 40 and 43 mm outside diameter. Pressure pipe will be 40mm, pushfit waste comes in at about 41mm and solvent weld abs at 43mm. (you might also come across 1.25" pressure pipe at 42.2mm).

If you want exactly 1.5" you can get acrylic tube (perspex) but this is a little brittle if you drop it. Or my preferred option is aluminium tube. You can buy this in various wall thickness and it is relatively easy to work compared to steel. It paints up nice if you use the right primer and also keeps the weight down.

I actually went to the plumbing section and found a PVC drain section that measures about 17 3/4 inches (45mm) in length. Its quite thin unlike the larger tubes. I printed out the 38 mm templates and they fit perfectly. Then I broke out the old ruler and checked the outside diamter, and it measured 38 mm. I'll try to post a pic when I can. The tube is just a tad short, but measures out fine after placement of the end cap.

• Like 1