Aker amp w/ PTT cable shorting out due to moisture.

I bought tk-6294's Aker amp system with the PTT cable. I run the cable down my arm under the ....under......suit and keep it in place with a small piece of elastic around my index finger. Whenever I want to talk, I just press my finger against the blaster and no one knows how it happened. It is a BRILLIANT system because it makes a great "click" both before and after you speak. Now the issue. I have accurate gloves with Karin's handplates. I paid a lot for these and refuse to not wear them. I sweat a lot. I have already shorted out one PTT cable. Mounting it outside my glove is not an option. I have tried wrapping it in a small balloon and it still got wet. I tried covering it in both Plasti-dip and silicone but both peeled off with extended use.

Any suggestions before I just need to buy about 30 cables?

I wear inner silk gloves, then I wrap the end of the wire with waterproof tape.

I put the inner glove on, then tape the wire to my fingertip

then put on armor glove.

One thing you'll learn when wearing all this stuff, and especially the rubber gloves. You will sweat bucket loads, and it will pool up in those rubber gloves. So I don't think any amount of powder will work in those gloves. I've been thinking about it myself gazmosis. I was going to try putting the little balloon over it, then a small bead of e6000 on the inside then wrap a rubber band over the part of the balloon with the e6000 inside so that way it will make a water right seal. I think that because the plasti dip and silicone isn't really meant for stretching, then that's probably why it began to tare. With the balloon being more of a pocket instead of covering it, it will probably do better. This is just a guestimate of mine as I have not actually trooped with the system. I just have a good idea of how sweaty it is from walking around in my suit for a few hours when it was all built but not painted or anything. I took my gloves off and the sweat just poured out lol

You got that right!!!! Our last troop ended with us out in the blazing sun taking garrison photos for about 45 minutes. My hands felt like they were in a bread proofer. If I covered the inside of the gloves in powder, they would come out a pasty mess. My daughter has a bag of mini water balloons and I thought,"PERFECT!" But somehow, it still got wet even though I sealed the end. I don't think that wrapping the end in any kind of tape would work because this would depress the PTT button. It's going to have to be a loose, waterPROOF cover of some kind that won't depress the button. I wonder if I put my hand in a rubber glove before putting my hand in THE rubber glove? Where does one get those silk gloves, Vern?

Edited by gazmosis

I think that the consensus states that wearing a different glove underneath rather than altering the PTT is the way to go. Maybe even getting some spray deoderant to shoot onto my hands before suiting up?

hmm...i dunno how well anti-persp works on hands...but hey that may help..at the least your hands will smell nice lol. Yea i did it initially just cuz i didnt want to rip the gloves taking them off cuz they would get stuck on my hand. In advertantly i noticed my hands were a bit dryer, so its worth a shot!

I use the balloon and e6000 option. But i do not use rubber gloves. I have started including balloons with each PTT. My kids don't like that because I won't share their water balloons, LOL...

Edited by TK6294

Oh, Hey Jim!!! I hope you are not offended that I didn't contact you first. Actually, I did last month. I tried teh balloon suggestion but my kid's water balloons must be thin and cheap cause I sweat right through them. I will never stop my hands from sweating, but if I can keep the sweat out of the main glove by wearing a second glove, I should be good!!!!

Silk gloves eh, Vern! Sounds sexy.

Oh, Hey Jim!!! I hope you are not offended that I didn't contact you first. Actually, I did last month. I tried teh balloon suggestion but my kid's water balloons must be thin and cheap cause I sweat right through them. I will never stop my hands from sweating, but if I can keep the sweat out of the main glove by wearing a second glove, I should be good!!!!

Silk gloves eh, Vern! Sounds sexy.

Ā 

No problem Steve. I am curious to see if anyone has any solutions...

I was having problems about 2-3 hours into troops with the PTT cable not working--the gloves that I've been guest trooping with are only rubberized palms, but obviously things were wet enough to have trouble. I cleaned off the PTT button with WD40 and let it dry thoroughly.

Ā 

Then, I tried a finger from a disposable rubber glove (too thin /button poked through it), I currently have a helium quality balloon on there, and I also got a rubber bag from an RC shop (too thick in the glove). I just tightly wrapped the open end with a couple of inches of electrical tape around the wire. Seems to be pretty reliable now.

Ā 

I'm assuming that the rubber will wear out quickly, but I have plenty of other balloons for that...

Where my original issue occurred was with the two tiny pieces of metal that show on the back. Once moisture got to the PTT, it seemed to bridge the gap between these two points and thus began the short out. First signs were incredible crackling followed by the PTT not shutting off. Once that happened there was no fixing it. Thanks for your contribution, Eric! I do a lot of woodworking and have a bunch of rubber gloves for applying stains. I am going to try that. These gloves are pretty sturdy and cheap. If I keep the wet IN these it will keep the wet off the PTT.

NP Steve--sound like you might have a solution anyway.

Ā 

BTW, have you seen this thread?

---------------

Ā 

I went looking for the finger protectors at local fabric stores, but the one only had thimbles or leather ones. The other store had plastic ones, but it was a bit small for my hand. If you found an open-top one like shown in that thread, it seems like you could permanently install the PTT button and seal the back side with a piece of ABS and some Plastruct. I personally would love to do this as the button seems to slide around in the glove so it's not always in the best position. I assume that will get worse when I'm in full rubber gloves, although I have some lycra gloves to go in between.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

That is one heck of an inovative idea however, it will still be subject to moisture. To keep everything where it should be, I sewed a small piece of elastic just a tiny bit smaller than my finger is around. My undersuit holds the cord in place up to my wrist and the elastic holds the cord against my index finger so it won't wander. Putting on the gloves is always a challenge but the elastic seems to do it's job. I just make sure to put my right glove on first so that I can adjust the PTT to the right place if it did wander while gloving up.

Thanks for posting that link, Eric. It amazes me the brilliance that surrounds us here at FISD. I NEVER get tired of looking at that!!!! That brilliance is exactly why I come here with my issues.

On 8/30/2011 at 12:34 AM, EOTK said:

NP Steve--sound like you might have a solution anyway.

Ā 

BTW, have you seen this thread?

------------

Ā 

I went looking for the finger protectors at local fabric stores, but the one only had thimbles or leather ones. The other store had plastic ones, but it was a bit small for my hand. If you found an open-top one like shown in that thread, it seems like you could permanently install the PTT button and seal the back side with a piece of ABS and some Plastruct. I personally would love to do this as the button seems to slide around in the glove so it's not always in the best position. I assume that will get worse when I'm in full rubber gloves, although I have some lycra gloves to go in between.

Ā 

Ā 

I saw that thread and immediately thought of fingerpicks for guitars or banjos. So that's an option if you can't find it at a fabric store.

Edited by gmrhodes13

This is pretty gross but if anyone wants to try it......any medical section of your local drug store will have rubber "exam" finger sheaths. Pardon my description, but no other comparison works except to say that they are finger condoms but thicker. I just don't have the guts to go buy them. "No really...., I am using these for a Stormtrooper costume!" "Sure you are, sir."

How about using two of those little rubber thimble type things you can put on your fingers to turn pages of a book? Or maybe putting bandaids over your finger, putting the switch there, and then putting more bandaids over it?

Ā 

I am putting one of these together so I am following this thread closely because my hands sweat like a mutha!! Even without gloves! I was diagnosed with "acute hyper hydrosa" (super sweaty hands) when I was a younger....Made holding hands with girls a real pain when I was a kid "EEEEWWW, your hands are all clammy!" I can hold up my hand and just think hard and literally make my hands drip with sweat. It sucks.

Ā 

So if I can not find a solution to this shorting out problem I may have to forego the switch or the wireless unit all together.

Although my hands don't sweat on that level normally, I have bit of an issue when my hands are in black, rubber gloves in 90 degree weather. The bandaids would certainly keep everything in place, however we are looking for ways of completely and totally seperating sweaty hands and their moisture from the PTT button either by encasing the PTT button with something like the rubber page turner, or encasing the whole hand in a surgical type glove. At this point having already shorted one out, I am leaning towards sealing off my hands rather than experimenting with covering the PTT then finding out what I tried didn't work. I really don't want to make another "hey Jim, I need another PTT cord" call. Thanks for the suggestion though,k Darrel!!

The PTT button is inside the balloon, and where you see how dark the balloon is, thats from the e6000.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

I understand the e6000 thing now. From what I understand, though, when dry the E6000 can get brittle. How does that work with a flexible cord? Or am I awrong about the E6000....I never worked with it before.