My HDPE helmet

Hi guys,

I just finished to paint my HDPE stormtrooper helmet about a week ago. This is the first helmet I painted by myself. All the details are hand painted, no decals at all. Feel free to add any feedback.

Cheers

A

For a hand paint job, it's amazing. I'm assuming you used an airbrush? If you used normal brushes...and paint, that's even more amazing bro!

Good job!

Peace

Fitz

PS..(Could you pm me where ya got your helmet from? :P)

Armando, that's a beautiful looking helmet! :D

What type of paint did you use? Did you use multiple coats?

Are the tube stripes hand painted? I noticed that one side of helmet has fewer stripes than the other - perhaps it's just my bad eyesight...

T :salute:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your kind words :D ; I will try to answer all your question as good as I can. It took me some time to finish it since I do not have the best work conditions for painting props here at home...

For the white color, I sprayed the helmet with krylon fusion (gloss). First, I applied a very thin coat of paint. Then I sprayed the helmet with multiples coats (three coats) every 40 seconds more or less. Then I put the helmet away for a week.

All the gray details were painted with Humbrol #5. The vocorder, ear cups, trapezoids, and black outlines with black Testor paint.

I did not use any masking tape for the gray and black details, all of them were hand made painted. Once I am done with the trapezoids, vocorder, and ear cups I started to paint the tube stripes. I used masking tape for painting them, I applied the masking tape gently otherwise the paint may chip off. For the tube stripes I used testor paint (Ford & GM engine BLUE). I would like to thanks to troopermaster for his tips and sharing his technique for painting the tube stripes. By the way, Tony, you are right, the left side has 14 stripes and the right side 12 only. It might looks strange but I notice that some of the original movie helmets do not match the same numbers of stripes in both sides (SFS, move along, etc...)

Since the white color base was not as glossy as I wanted and I was looking for a Death Star stormtrooper look I applied a coat all over the helmet of Krylon Triple-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze.

For the hovi mix tips, I repainted them for a sharper look in black and white (edge and interior)

I think that's all. Thanks again for the nice coments guys.

Cheers

A

dude, thats awesome. I'm just about to start handpainting my tube stripes and although i have a fairly steady hand i'm pretty sure there'll be some face going blue moments where i forget to breath.

i'm trying to replicate the Brian R helmet including paint chips, muck and wobbly painted details so i dont have to be all that steady i guess :lol:

just hope my GML likes it :blink: