Kaptin Kaos' AM ANH Build

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, and then it's the big question... For my Centurion set do I do a complete TM or a complete ATA? Price difference doesn't matter... it's a hobby so I don't look too closely at the prices so long as they are relatively in the same range. What I really want to know... is which one will be easier/better/better quality/CLOSEST to screen accurate?

Ā 

Unfortunately my buddy Dan came over today so I could do his ESB Vader pics for his approval... and he dropped an idea into my head and it won't go away... Commander Cody Clone (non-animated version)...

Ā 

What say you guys?

If you want accuracy, I'd definitely go with TM hands down. I've seen one of TM's helmets personally and I absolutely adore it, I wish I had the money right now to get one!

Ā 

And for commander cody, it's a cool armor to do. Personally, I don't like Phase II clones that much. I've always wanted a grunt :P

The more and more research I do... I think it's a phase II clone I want to do. The helmet is much closer to ours and the armor is a bit less... CG looking. I'll poke around clonetroopers.net a while and see what I can dig up on doing a 501rst blue/white phase 3 clone as seen in ROTS when Anakin goes to kill the younglings.

Ā 

Lol... Darth Vader came to my house today to watch ANH with me!

Ā 

P1013314.jpg

Ā 

It's actually my buddy Dan in his ESB Vader. I was taking the pics for him to send for approval, :D

Edited by kaptinkaos

Ok, picture time! LOL!

Ā 

I did end upstarting to build the lid... It's very... inaccurate, but it will serve it's purpose and may make a good donation to a needy trooper or I can just have fun with it. I look like a moron with it on. Got it half slapped together and I'll need about 2" of foam inside to make it even come close to fitting my pin sized head, lol! However, I tore it back down and primed the inside and threw a coat of black on so there is a lot less light inside. I'll put the frown mesh on tomorrow too before complete assembly, green acetate for a lens, hand painting the vents and tossing the hovi's, erm faucet aerators on, ;)

Ā 

IMG-20110906-00137.jpg

Ā 

IMG-20110906-00138.jpg

Ā 

Got my TD together and primed.

Ā 

IMG-20110906-00139.jpg

Ā 

ANH strips on the thighs back and front and some snaps glued up for the thigh straps.

Ā 

IMG-20110906-00142.jpg

Ā 

Shins, chest, and arms (bells, biceps and forearms) complete.

Ā 

IMG-20110906-00140.jpg

Ā 

Butt, kidney and suspenders done.

Ā 

IMG-20110906-00143.jpg

Ā 

Things left to do are finish the lid, complete the TD and hopefully, if the mail delivers my package in the morning, get my belt done, woot!

Ā 

IMG-20110906-00144.jpg

Ā 

IMG-20110906-00145.jpg

Almost forgot these!

Ā 

Aker and MP3 mounted. Still haven't dropped the $ on an iComm, but tomorrow morning when my belt comes I probably will, lol! I'll mount it just above the MP3.

Ā 

IMG-20110906-00146.jpg

Ā 

And my green acetate for the eyes along with a set of shiny decals... that I'm not going to use. Where/who can I donate these to?

Ā 

IMG-20110906-00147.jpg

Thanks!

Ā 

I've just put the green acetate in, frown mesh in, aerators in, assembled, and am gluing the lid. I'm just going to use CA cause I won't wear it and an not too worried about having an ultra bond on surfaces. I have a dentist appnt. in an hour so after that I'll get a coat of paint on it and pop rivet the bottom of the ears. If you're 10 yards away it looks good!

The only thing i see with the splitting of the cod and the ab plate is if your going to have roughly 2 inches from the bottom of the button plate and an inch of gap before the cod piece, that leaves the belt JUST at about the right height to make that work, I would just worry about the belt moving or shifting unless your using snaps to hold the belt in place right below the button plate on the ab and another on the cod. But then again, spacing is REALLY hard to work with with the space there. I could be way off, so like I said, I am really anxious to see how it's going to work and will be awaiting pics.

Ā 

Other than that, great build so far.

I came a little late to the party, Joe I have a ROTS Commander Cody and lately I have been coming back to my TK more, I'm not planning on selling the Cody armor, just that I can have more fun as a TK as I do as a clone.

pic:

63013_10150270195465512_690975511_15231262_2476658_n.jpg

That is Juan beside me, back when he used an FX/AM helmet, now he uses VT or ATA helmets

I came a little late to the party, Joe I have a ROTS Commander Cody and lately I have been coming back to my TK more, I'm not planning on selling the Cody armor, just that I can have more fun as a TK as I do as a clone.

pic:

Ā 

That is Juan beside me, back when he used an FX/AM helmet, now he uses VT or ATA helmets

Ā 

Ā 

Nice Cody! Yeah, I bet I'll wear my TK stuff a lot more than the clone 501rst I wanna do, but a little variety never hurts, right? Besides, it's a MUCH more complex build and I'm a tinkerer... lol!

More pics of the lid finished and trimmed. There's a few issues with the way this lid goes together and the seam locations. It's definitely not as clean as a 2 piece lid with certain faults in construction. Flame away at the build, ;)

Ā 

Some custom foam for my noodle (waiting on fan kits, but I'll definitely have one for the ATA)

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00153.jpg

Ā 

Front

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00154.jpg

Ā 

Left

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00155.jpg

Ā 

Back

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00156.jpg

Ā 

And I just realized I don't have a right side pic... oh well!

Ā 

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00157.jpg

Ā 

Mesh and acetate (it's a bit light so I may try to find some darker green for my ATA lids)

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00158.jpg

Ā 

Got around to finishing my TD tonight too, :D

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00159.jpg

Ā 

And a little sewing netted me a neck seal for under $10, :D It's a tight fit, elastic sewn and NO seam.

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00160.jpg

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00161.jpg

Ā 

Still no belts in the mail yet... maybe tomorrow. Cheers!

Belt is done and the buttons just drying a bit. I just used CA on them so they should be good to go in a short time. The belt snaps to the ab in two places and will velcro to the bottom of the back where the TD sits to prevent sag.

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00163.jpg

Ā 

Belt is riveted to canvas belt under the three buttons sandwiching the drop box elastic between the two outer edge ones. Belt is trimmed at 45 degree angles on the corners as per ANH. It will snap here and here on the ab.

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00164.jpg

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00165.jpg

Ā 

And when on me it will look like this!

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00166.jpg

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00167.jpg

Ā 

I will hopefully be posting pics of the finished product tonight, :D

I loves me some build threads and this one has been the most enjoyable I've followed in a long time. Fast and furious too.

Ā 

Looking good braddah.

Ā 

Aloha,

Ā 

-Eric

Thanks man! I would have done a lot more detail as to what I'm doing and where, etc... But Panda's and Tk's AM build threads cover a LOT and are awesome! This was supposed to more of a funny insight into my build and I'm glad you enjoy! :D The speed of the build is only because I've literally devoted just about every moment of my time to it over the last week and a bit. I was prepared though... lol! I had two years to contemplate it all and having the help, support and insights of this board and also my local garrison made things a lot easier had I been slogging it alone. Cheers to you and all you guys! I couldn't have done this and probably wouldn't have wanted to if it weren't for the great social atmosphere associated with trooping!

Woohoo! Suit is finished and I've sent in my approval pics to my local GML, :D edit* (The pics were taken with a flash... that's why you can see my eyes, :()

Ā 

IMG_4166.jpg

Ā 

Other than the lid being a bit out of scale for my frame, it turned out well! I'll be replacing it with an ATA lid when they arrive so I'ma either sell this one then or donate it to a worthy trooper in need with a larger head than mine. It definitely would look alright on a much larger frame now that I see it with the armor on, but I'm so skinny it just looks wrong. I have a few tiny tweeks to do (shorten my right thigh strap and put a bit of velcro on the top of the boot back to prevent my shins from crawling up), but other than that it fits extremely well, isn't as hot as I'd thought it would be (but the fan kits I'm ordering will be an asset for a decent troop time) and I'm pleased with the result! It's a clean and tidy look even if it isn't screen accurate. I won't be mistaken for a Tron character or Mario that's for dang sure! On top of that, this suit is RUGGED! The way I've put it together using butt splices I could almost play football in it, lol! My strapping system works very well (Thanks for the base format of it Pandatrooper!) and feels VERY secure. The holster I was wearing is a bit on the heavy side and was pulling the belt down a bit so I may add some velcro to that side right behind the holster to help maintain it's position. I'll be substituting one that I will make myself once I get my Doopydoo E-11 build complete. The E-11 is one I borrowed from my buddy Dan and is in need of some TLC, lol... Maybe a side project. We're gonna do some repairs to his TD soon anyway now that he's done his ESB Vader.

Ā 

One thing I would like to upgrade is my mic... I'm thinking of wireless, but have no idea where to start. Anyone have any great suggestions on a wireless mic to look at? The mic works well, but is a PITA in and out of the helmet. It'll only be worse with a smaller lid and it's just the cheapy that came with my Aker 3 years ago.

Ā 

Some fun pics...

Ā 

Hayden getting his for being a terrible Anakin.

Ā 

IMG_4172.jpg

Ā 

The Empire wants YOU!

Ā 

IMG_4167.jpg

Ā 

The full rig

Ā 

IMG_4160.jpg

Ā 

Hung up in the closet

Ā 

IMG-20110907-00169.jpg

Ā 

I think I'll either end up doing Panda's duct tape mannequin or try to find a real mannequin somewhere. I'd like to store/display it somewhere in my office room alongside my glass displays of SW's toys. Anyone know of a cheap and easy to build solution other than Panda's duct tape mannequin? I don't trust anyone I know enough to not leave me wrapped up like that, LMAO! I'll update this thread when I get my TK #.

Ā 

Cheers!

Edited by kaptinkaos

Here's a shot of the new darker eye lenses I made and my cooling fan.. It's perfect there as the blower side blows just about directly on the lenses and around my face. :D Should keep me nice and cool... well, cooler, haha!

Ā 

IMG-20110908-00179.jpg

Edited by kaptinkaos