First Boots

Hi,

I have managed to get a set of these off e-bay for only £25, do you think they are ok for turning into my first set of boots?

6080031483_e43db4045b.jpg

For only £25 if they are'nt any good at least I have not wasted to much cash :)

Comments appreciated.

I use angelus leather acrylic finishes. first off I paint the boot with this:

--------

covers any leather without having to prep... just paint on two coats, even works on the elastic.

then cover the leather with the finisher

---------

you can get satin or high gloss finishers.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks for the comments and thanks Vern for the tip on which "paint" to use. Would you recommend Satin or Gloss finish?

I will post some pics when they are done.

Edited by Angevine

• 3 weeks later...

With the excellent advice of Vern and Rob I purchased the Angelus Leather Paint and have now finished my Boots.

The Angelus paint is excellent at covering the Black and I feel it is the best way to make your boots look more like the screen used version than anything else I have read or seen on this forum.

I hope you like the finished result as much as I do.

6137968458_042d4374d3.jpg

6137958300_edcbea3868.jpg6137963236_d20094844a.jpg

6137408971_e3a06e676e.jpg

6137404229_19e7319ff9.jpg

Edited by Angevine

I masked the sole off then started layering on the paint thinly with a piece of sponge. It took about 5 coats with 24hr drying time between each coat.

I then put 2 coats of the finisher on, again with a piece of sponge.

After drying though I did find that when the masking was removed some of the paint came away with it so I have done a repair with a small paintbrush where required.

Do you think the paint could be thinned and put through some kind of small airbrush or other small air sprayer? If so, I think this would speed both application and drying times. I see that the paint, at $3/ bottle, won't break the bank. At 5 coats, how many bottles did you use?

Edited by gazmosis

The Bottles state that they can be applied with a spray gun or air brush.

The paint is thicker than the finisher so I imagine that it might need thinning to get the best result not sure as I don't own one.

I only used 1/4 of the bottle of leather paint, if that. Got loads left from the 4 FL. OZ. Bottle.

As for the finisher I have a probably used 3mm from the whole bottle.

Edited by Angevine

Do you think the paint could be thinned and put through some kind of small airbrush or other small air sprayer? If so, I think this would speed both application and drying times. I see that the paint, at $3/ bottle, won't break the bank. At 5 coats, how many bottles did you use?

I used this same paint on mine and spayed it with a gun. Turned out good, but coverage wasn't nearly as intense as his. I only did one heavy coat. I stopped there because it made them look broken in, but not nearly as nice as his. I think you could achieve this same look of these as long as you did more coats.

I purchased the paint from here: ------------ but i'm sure there are other places that sell it. I just searched Google for Angelus paint under shopping and that came up as one of the cheapest.

Hope that helps.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is in the Los Angeles area, I found a store in Burbank that can order the paint/finisher next day:

Victor's Shoe Repair

3810 West Verdugo Avenue

Burbank, CA 91505

(818) 845-4213

I ordered mine yesterday and he said should be there by Thursday. So hopefully by Thursday night I'll have my first coat on the boots. My plan is to follow the above setup. Mask off boots, use 5 coats of white with a drying time of 24 hours between each coat. 2 coats of satin finisher (same with 24 hours in between) and then after unmasking, touch up any spots that may come/peel off.

• 1 month later...

I used several coats of paint on my boots taking a pair of TKboots and painted them black for my TX.

3 coats of angelus paint and 4 coats of sealer.

applied with a small brush near the sole, and then with a sponge for the larger areas.

angelus paints are the best!

• 1 month later...

I have just got a pair for a fellow Trooper who needs a new pair of boots. I'm wondering if there would be any take up from other members if I brought the boots and painted them up for people to order for say £55 all in (inc Delivery) Cheaper than TKBoots and should be faster? Just a thought.