Jump to content

Another Doopy full resin E11


NAZGÛL
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey gang. So I recently decided my TIE Pilot needs an E11 and I went for

the Doopydoos full kit. Im totally happy with it, and building it is great fun. No problem with the casting and everything looks sharp.

 

I love the beaten up look of some Sterling conversions.

 

Heres a few pics of my build up so far:

 

naze111.jpg

naze112.jpg

naze113.jpg

 

 

Cheers

Edited by NAZGÛL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

nice inner bolt.

some minor suggestions:

should all be silver gunmetal, and the spring should be smaller in dia with more loops.

 

very nice attention to detail!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that in the case of doopydoo it's cast together with the receiver, and thus not movable. I think that a separate bold would be a cool addition to any kit. Might be able to get some cool cocking action. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the full resin kit, the bolt is cast with the receiver, but in the pipe kit, its a separate part that fits down inside but doesn't have the length of a real sterling bolt. Its just big enough to cover the ejection port and put the cocking lever on it and isn't any longer than that. I don't think anyone makes resin bolts in full, so its a possibility sskunky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments! I didnt paint anything yet, and do plan for silver for the inner bolt. I think the spring thickness looks pretty close. Its sturdy and sits tight anyway so Im happy with it. :) It was hard to get the right amount of loops as the small inner tube of the doopys makes it tight to fit. Instead of 11:ish I got 8:ish loops.

 

The inner plastic tube on doobys full kit makes resin bolts undoable IMO. :(

 

I made some progress on it. Some metal work. I know its to thin, but really easy to work with with the tools I have. Also found a great old metal piece for the rail. Rusty and nice for the look Im after.

 

naz114.jpg

naze115.jpg

naze116.jpg

 

Cheers

Edited by NAZGÛL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks mate! Ok, I got all parts on. Im really found of the clean look without the counter and cylinders. I dont care what anyone says, they are all over ANH so they are SA: ;)

 

star-wars-luke-and-a-beheaded-stormtrooper.jpg

 

The rail could have got a longer edge holding the front, if its not holding up I make a new rail. Glued on two somewhat more manly bolt heads sitting on top of the screws holding the scope.

 

naze117.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After making a more correct mag plate it was finally time for the fun: paint!

 

Here is what I did:

 

1. Primer, it went on well and got a good grip. (I had been a good boy and cleaned the kit parts earlyer.)

e11tut1.jpg

 

The cast quality is overall good, but the end cap have some dents.

e11tut2.jpg

 

 

2. Silver coat. I went for a silver were the metallic effect wasnt to obvious.

e11tut3.jpg

 

3. Gold on the scope. This is more dark then the pic shows, but its still to golden compaired to the real scopes. I will only make small scratches and add weathering so it will do fine.Now its time to mask the parts that will stay silver (spring etc). I used masking tape and masking fluid.

e11tut4.jpg

 

4. Black coat. I used flat on the gun and glossy on the scope and handle. I made sure the paints are compatible before painting.

e11tut5.jpg

 

5. Weathering. Peel off the masking. Gently use sand paper to make the blaster to look worn and let the metal come through. I used different papers, soft and heavy. I also used a wire brush to get random scratches. Do this in small steps. Try to get the look as if it had been from real life beating. I look at reference all the time when doing this as its easy to get it wrong. Dont mess with the t-track as they should look plastic.

 

After that its a lot of washes. I used gray and rusty brown washes of acrylic model paint. Dont go all over, but do some parts. Like the sanding do it in small steps. Make different amount on different parts, some more rusty, some less. Again go for reference to get what you are after.

 

e11tut6.jpg

 

Heres the scope. I added white for the ingraved text, based on how the original scope looked.

e11tut7.jpg

 

I wanted the grip to look like worn plastic. Its glossy black with flat washes and some strokes. Its also gently sanded to get a vintage look.

 

e11tut8.jpg

 

 

I made the dent in the stock deeper (but not to much as it would become brittle. The effect turned out ok. I also tried to make the stock look more rusty.

e11tut9.jpg

e11tut10.jpg

 

 

And here it is worn by a dead serious trooper! "Let me see your identification!"

e11tut11.jpg

 

 

Hope this can be of some help if anyone feels like doing a beat up sterling paint job.

 

 

Cheers

Edited by NAZGÛL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...