Adding support to HIPS armor?

Hey all,

Finished my TK and the bug is biting me again. I want start a sandy, so I collected a couple suits of armor to compare to each other. Got me a VT and ATA suit. I've not worked with the HIPS plastic before, but true to the word, the pulls are AWESOME, sharp and lovely. My TK is ABS, I love working with it, love wearing it, love repairing it. Sooo, I'm finding myself stuck. I gotta bounce one of these suits and I got to start building the other. I'd love to keep the ATA suit, it just looks so absolutely beautiful, but I'm concerned about the durability of HIPS. Been talking with a bud in my garrison about the possibility of adding some support material to prevent tears. He recommended fiber glass, but I was thinking along the lines of flexible, no cracking materials...

My question, after that long and terrible build up, is this. Has anyone tried using spray on rubber to fortify armor?

I'm gonna test some stuff I got at LOWES on a few scrap trimmings of both ABS and HIPS to see if the solvents melt it away, warp or otherwise distroy the plastic... But I'd thought I'd ask to see if anyone else had tried this. As always, will appreciate any feed back.

Thanks!

Edited by Whitejob77

I've been trooping in HIPS stormy and clone armor for years without issue.

The key I guess is that I'm really careful with things. I don't try to bend down / sit / do tricks, I pack it carefully, I repair any damage immediately, etc...

HIPS is very strong against impact but tears along cracks REALLY easily. So if you get a tiny little 1/8" crack somewhere, you can split the armor right along that line.

If I see a hint of a crack I put a dot of CA glue on it, hit it with some accelerant and it's fine.

If you want to back it with something, just make sure to go light. Plasti-dip seems like it should work but I've never tried.

Hi Joel!

The only parts that are prone to cracking that I have noticed are the helmet of course, kidney piece because of the return edge and the belt .I used the cloth and e 6000 method to fix 2 small cracks that started on the belt,which seem to be ok now. As for the rest of the amor it's actually pretty sturdy.

Nice, thanks guys. All great info. I was pretty sold on the idea of canvas and E6000, but I was worried about mold, b/o and other organic issues... lets face it, they're sweat boxes. I'm pretty nutty when I doan the armor, like to mix it up with the locals, hunt me some sand people, raid Bespin, etc... Its not a lack of respect for the armor so much as failing to remember I'm not really a stormy... ABS has always withstood the torment, although I have popped rivets and worn through a couple strips of heavy duty velcro.. hmmm. Always repair my kit when done trooping, store/pack with care, so doing the repairs (thanks for the materials and technique, btw!) shouldn't be an issue. I guess my concern about HIPS may be exacerbated by some of the forum posts claiming its prone to destruction and knowledge of my own behavior while dressed...

Gonna do the Plasti - dip experiment on the cuttings and look into the cheese cloth tempering. My only concern there is weight issues... Not opposed to adding a couple extra lbs, but certainly don't wanna be wearing lead armor.

Thanks again guys! Always awed at how friendly and helpful you troopers can be =D

Edited by Whitejob77

e6000 is waterproof. so the canvas would be mold proof.

a painters canvas dropcloth is the perfect canvas to use.

cheap, water resistant and massive!

I've gotten 9'x12foot sections of canvas that way!! 10.00 usd.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Vern-

Does the canvas soak up the E6000 then? Or is it woven loose enough to let the E6000 through? Or, lol, do you have to apply the E6000 to both sides? Gonna be a lot of E6000. A can of that PLasti - Dip costs about the same as a tube of the E6000, not sure which would be more cost effective... granted I have no idea how much cheese cloth costs or what it is even... Might be able to find something simliar and less expensive if its attrocious... hmmm, lots to ponder while I finish my shift. Lots of fun experimentation the next two days off!