Snap Problem: not staying snapped

It's possible that I just bought a bad set of pliers or maybe the wrong size...but the snaps fit and they're the ones from Joann's that people had recommended.

What I'm wondering now: for the snaps that I glued to the armor with E6000, will it do damage to the armor to pry those off and redo them? I'm debating between prying those off or just putting new tabs adjacent to the existing ones.

It's possible that I just bought a bad set of pliers or maybe the wrong size...but the snaps fit and they're the ones from Joann's that people had recommended.

What I'm wondering now: for the snaps that I glued to the armor with E6000, will it do damage to the armor to pry those off and redo them? I'm debating between prying those off or just putting new tabs adjacent to the existing ones.

If you used E-6000 then there should be no problem prying them off. Just be a little gentle.

Thanks Mathias. Yeah, I just finished removing the last of the E6000 snaps that I felt like I needed to replace due to space. Several of them I'm just leaving and will put new tabs next to them. I labeled them "BAD" to try and help myself avoid unnecessary confusion down the road. Now I just need to wait for Tandy to send me more snaps.

glad tgo hear that u have tackled this :) dont forget to include pics as your suit progresses :)

Thanks Mathias. Yeah, I just finished removing the last of the E6000 snaps that I felt like I needed to replace due to space. Several of them I'm just leaving and will put new tabs next to them. I labeled them "BAD" to try and help myself avoid unnecessary confusion down the road. Now I just need to wait for Tandy to send me more snaps.

You can find them on Ebay for lots cheaper. I bought 200 snaps for around 30 bucks.

• 1 month later...

Ive got same problem but in my case I brought crappy snaps.

The one on the left is what Ive got on my armor the right is what I should of used but didnt know any better.

PA120052.jpg

Some how I have to change them all.

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore the image by Sly11, 2020

I use snaps and the pliar that match.

and you have to really press HARD.

dritz snaps seem to work fine with a tool.

jo-ann's sells em.

trick is, if your snaps are heavy duty then you need to fully compress them.

the join should lay flat.

the hammer and anvil method didn't work for me, and I wasted a lot of bent or crooked snaps!

you can also make the elastic straps just a little longer and attach velcro to the end

with a rivet. this way the strap has a snap and a velcro tip.

a great combination!

Get the snap in place using the vario pliers, and finish it off with the hammer & setter. Using the two in tandem, you get both the pliers' precision, and the hammer/setter's strength.