Hedji's AM Build! I'm Gonna Need A Bigger Boat!

HUGE Update!

My TKboots came in, and I couldn't resist a test fitting. PLEASE, my fellow FISD brothers, if you have any thoughts or criticisms, please post them. Tell me what you like and what you don't.

Things missing: Drop Boxes, shoulder bridges, raise right shoulder bell, ab buttons, thermal detonator, crotch snap, brass fasteners on ab, white paint on brads and screws

Things to improve: raise right shoulder bell, possibly trim more off the ab plate, as it looks a bit bulky in the middle, re-do helmet padding so helmet sits lower. I may also trim a bit of meat off the chest wings and the back plate wings.

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0779.jpgIMG_0768.jpg

How am I doing? Hit me with some feedback! I'd like to one day go EIB and perhaps Centurion even.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job narrowing the arms & legs down to fit you properly. :duim:

Other than what you've already noted, I'd trim some of the bottom off the back plate and/or top off of the kidney plate. Doing so would get rid of the overlap between the two, and give you the gap between the back and kidney required for Centurion.

Also, you'll definitely want to upgrade your handplates to latex or latex-like, and the gloves to rubber chemical gloves.

Little by little, I'm getting there. Details time.

DROP BOXES:

Not much to say about these. I did follow Panda's build for the most part. I had a hard time getting the inner drop boxes to go in, until I notched the corners a bit to give it more flexibility.

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

Got some Testors Gloss White and painted my helmet screws and my brass fasteners for the knee ammo.

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

Here are the straps for my arms:

IMG_0785.jpg

I said to my Wife, "Honey, I've got scary news and scarier news. The scary news is I just tried on a garter belt. The scarier news is I made it myself." Just some elastic riveted onto an old belt.

IMG_0788.jpg

Ab buttons. I did shave quite a bit of depth off the panel. The nuts that came with the kit didn't tighten all the way up the threaded billet, so I got some regular nuts for them.

IMG_0789.jpg

SHOULDER BRIDGES:

These were actually a little tricky. I decided to count up 5 ridges on each side, and use that as a measurement of how far down to position them. But they didn't really lie flat against the chest, so I used a little heat to put a slight bend in the end pad so it conforms to the landscape of the chestpiece better. The E-6000 really wanted to shift around a lot. It's also difficult to know exactly how the floating end will fall in the back without wearing them, which is impossible with all the clamps. Hope this dries OK.

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

THERMAL DETONATOR:

Knowing full well the limitations of the accuracy of the AM Thermal Detonator (or is it O2 Canister?), I decided to delay an upgrade for the future, and use the AM one for now. I didn't want to have an unsightly seam, so I decided to glue first, paint second. This could work against me when trying to rivet the clips to the canister, but I'll have to manage somehow. For the clips, I bought two belt clips from Tandy, inspired by TKittel's build. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/1240-387.aspx They are very difficult to drill through, even with a titanium bit. It could make riveting them out of the question. We'll have to see how that goes.

At any rate, here is the canister, shimmed on the inside and painted.

IMG_0787.jpg

Next up, I have to mount my audio system and my helmet fan. I also have to build up enough courage to trim the ab piece just a little bit more. As for the back plate, I'll probably keep it for now, and try to trim it after Halloween. Whew!

Shoulder bridges are done.

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

I used Zap A Gap and Zip Kicker to glue the elastic to the inside.

IMG_0839.jpg

Here is one of the Thermal Detonator clips. The smaller hole on the inside is where the rivet will go. The larger hole on the outside is to accommodate the tip of the rivet gun.

IMG_0841.jpg

Arrrrghh! :6:

I was so close to being "done".

So I took my painted thermal detonator. Paint was great and shiny smooth. I applied Zap a Gap to the inside of the caps. When sliding them on, they slipped and made a mess of the paint. Really, they seem a bit too small for the AM pipe section.

So I masked off the white parts which were all glued on, and went to touch up the spray paint, and it crackled and made an absolute mess.

This is what it looks like now.

IMG_0852.jpg

I know that overall, it really is a minor setback, but I was so close to being ready, at least for Halloween.

I think that once the wallet regenerates, I will order one of Jesse's Thermal Detonators. This was a real bummer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I made my deadline! The thermal detonator turned out acceptably. It'll do for now. Next up, I need to upgrade my blaster by paying off my hyperfirm, and get a new thermal detonator.

I have to take more pics from all angles, and send them to get my approval also.

I have a suspicion I need to trim the wings on the sides of my chest and back armor a little more. Please take a look at my pics and tell me what you think:

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

Well, I now have a new identity...

TK-8038!

Garrison Excelsior has given me a warm welcome on their message board. Now it's time to find the opportunity to troop with them!

I am very excited and overwhelmed. Now that I am a member of the 501st, with all the new access to 501st forums, I am like a kid in a candy store.

Next up, I will need to do a few minor adjustments and firm up a strap or two, get my new Hyperfirm, and go for EIB!!!

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a big shout out of thanks to RogueTrooper and tkrestonva for their help and suggestions on this build. I really felt the Troopers Helping Troopers support. Thanks so much, guys!