Can I advertize FISD at the EMS in London?

matt black

In October I will be going to the entertainment and media show in London. I'm not sure how it works when spreading the FISD word or even if I am allowed to as I am not staff. I will be going in my armour but not as part of the 501st as I don't think they will be attending. I just thought I could hand out some flyers or some such to try and recrute some new members. Would this be OK?

Anytime that you can promote the FISD in a good light, I say go for it.

The blast doors to the whitearmor.net are always open to anyone.

Have fun Rob at the entertainment and media show. You will have to tell us about when you get back. To me it sounds like a load of fun.

Tom

Not to put a dampner on things but....

I would def check with the staff of the UKG before handing out anything pertaining to the 501st at an event we are not attending mate. B)

Enjoy the show, :)

Edited by carbonitekid

Thanks Tom. I'm hoping it will be as good as Comicon was in July. Thanks for the advice Matt. I'll check it out. Not sure how this sort of thing works.

Not to put a dampner on things but....

I would def check with the staff of the UKG before handing out anything pertaining to the 501st at an event we are not attending mate. B)

Enjoy the show, :)

Am i missing something here?? i dont wanna offend anyone but WTF has it got to do with the UKG if someone tells others about the FISD?

I tell people about this site all the time and as far as im concerned the only person who can tell me not to is the detachment leader/founder, If rob isnt there in an official UKG capacity then i think he should be able to spread the good word of the FISD as much as he likes - besides, personally i think the more people who come here the better.... just think of all the potential rubies or FXrecast purchasers out there who could be educated before they buy!

sorry rant over :blush:

I'm not a member of the 501st. I just love prop building side (though admittedly one day I'd like to get a nice set of ANH armor). If I couldn't be party to this site due to not having any affiliation to the 501st I'd never have started on my e-11.

I had another thought (tell me if it's not a good one) at Comicon there were three people that played stormtroopers in the Star Wars films. Would it be good to try to get them to join FISD or is that just silly? I only ask because I found it very interesting talking to them about armour. They probably found me less interesting :(

We should all pitch in and get them real stormtrooper guys a set of armor. I think The Dented Helmet did that for Boba Fett (J.B.) several years ago. I could be wrong, but it would still be a cool thing to do.

First I want to say that the FISD has been a home for anyone that has enthusiasm for the TK's , whether they are 501st or non 501st, and always will be.

Secondly, everyone should feel free to express their views about, and promote the 501st and the FISD anytime and anywhere they please.

To Rob: Anytime that you can bring aboard new members for the FISD and/or the 501st, do so. This goes for anyone, as well. :duim:

Each one of the members here are valuable assets to the FISD no matter if you become 501st or just want to be a Stormtrooper enthusiast.

Tom

My understanding is it comes down to are you representing yourself as a 501st member? If you do an event where you are representing yourself as a 501st member then handing out 501st material such as FISD or Legion flyers is no problem.

If you are attending an event as a private person - e.g. a non-garrison event - then you cannot identify yourself as a Legion member, though it may be OK to hand out 501st material as long as you make it clear you are not representing the Legion.

Case in point - I did a charity event over the summer that was off the books, and in no way did we advertise ourselves as members of the 501st or Garrison Titan. There was no Legion merch on display, no advertising using Legion or FISD branding, etc. Just a sign that said "have a picture taken with a stormtrooper for charity". When my bucket was off (yes, in other parts of the Legion we're allowed to take buckets off during breaks, and as this wasn't a Legion event I didn't have to follow that rule regardless) and people asked questions, when asked I would answer questions about the Legion and now to join and would hand out my trading card, but I also started out saying I was there as a private person in a private capacity to ensure that base was covered.

I think if you ensure that you preface conversations that way and aren't otherwise advertising your attendence as a Legion member of on behalf of the Legion you're fine.

Not to put a dampner on things but.... I would def check with the staff of the UKG before handing out anything pertaining to the 501st at an event we are not attending mate. B) Enjoy the show, :)

Matt

Despite being a member, Rob (matt black) as not trooped with the UKG mate so he as not been branded

so his armour carry’s no decal to identify him as such.

As you know, if he had been inducted then he would be required to cover the decal when trooping at non official

events such as he’s indicated.

Rob

At the end of the day mate its your armour and you can do with it as you wish. The thing to remember

Is that there are guidelines in place for 501st and UKG members regarding appropriate behaviour whist

in costume. So if you wish to represent them you must act accordingly. But what you do in your free

time is entirely up to you.fella..

I’m all for promoting the FISD (and do so on a daily basis despite what some may think) and I know you’ll

do a bloody good job of it mate because of the overwhelming commitment you’ve shown whilst being a member here. :salute:

My only concern, and this doesn’t apply to you, is the FISD is an official Detachment of the 501st and as such any

promotion can be seen as representing it, indirectly or directly, whether that is stated or not.

So if I decided that it would be kindaa FUN to hand out FISD flyers at the annual S&M ‘Spank-Me’ convention wearing nothing

but leather chaps and a TK lid whilst busting some MEAN moves to some high octane House music I don’t think it would go down

too well when it comes to light. (should get plenty of hits on YouTube though, ‘coz Man!, when I get going I can really shake my Groove thing! B) )

I think you can see what I getting at here, how ever tenuous the link may seem to some it is there and actions such as this can be perceived as being

permissible for both the FISD and the 501st Legion because of their association with each other and the possible promotional material

being distributed.

But HEY!, the Boss as said its all fine, so its all good. :duim:

*DISCLAIMER*

To my knowledge the annual S&M ‘Spank-Me’ convention doesn’t exist and even if it did I don’t own any leather chaps or too keen

on high end heavy House so this is purely fictional for illustrational purposes only.

But any reference to my dancing abilities is 100% true. B)

:D

To be clear, I didn't say it was "all good". I said that in certain circumstances with numerous disclaimers there's a place where it "could" be OK. At the end of the day I see this as a local garrison issue to resolve, not an FISD issue, as every garrison is a wee bit different.

Also, if there is a question on branding you can contact RipCode via PM here or the Legion boards. As one of the Legion MBO's they'd be able to explain exactly what would be appropriate/allowable under 501st guidelines.

I think Rob, to cover your own bottom dont mention the 501st at all - you could maybe have the FISD web address pre-written on some small squares of paper for covenience and if anyone asks about armour or troopers in general you can say something like "well theres a great website for stormtroopers it has all the info anyone would ever need" this way all you are doing is advertising a website with no names and no allegience to anyone has been mentioned .

Just my opinion but i cant see why this way should ever be a problem? - not that anyone called Rob could do any wrong he he :salute:

So if I decided that it would be kindaa FUN to hand out FISD flyers at the annual S&M ‘Spank-Me’ convention wearing nothing

but leather chaps and a TK lid whilst busting some MEAN moves to some high octane House music I don’t think it would go down

too well when it comes to light. (should get plenty of hits on YouTube though, ‘coz Man!, when I get going I can really shake my Groove thing! B)

You got your outfit ready for the Garlic festy then Billy. ;)

*DISCLAIMER*

To my knowledge the annual S&M ‘Spank-Me’ convention doesn’t exist and even if it did I don’t own any leather chaps or too keen

on high end heavy House so this is purely fictional for illustrational purposes only.

But any reference to my dancing abilities is 100% true. B)

:D

Yeah Whatever.... :dancing-trooper:

Hi fella's. First of all, thanks so much for all the help and advice. I am really very, very sorry to have posted this topic and caused any hassle or trouble. Billy, thanks for putting it all so well mate. I see just where you are coming from. I haven't done any troops yet so I am still very new to the rules and such.

I in no way was going to try and speak for the 501st or FISD. If any one was to show any interest in the armour I was just going to sort of say 'If you love stormtroopers you should check out this site before buying any armour'. I in no way would ever try to represent the 501st in less I was trooping a 501st event. I know what you mean about how not to act in the armour. If anything I'll be a bit to the other way and think that I am a real stormtooper and be on my very best behavior for fear of being force choked :). I really didn't mean to try and get above my station on this and in hindsight I should have just PM'd the staff to ask the question and not made a post. Once again I am truly sorry if I have caused any trouble. Maybe it's best if I leave the FISD advertizing and wait until I go on a 501st troop.

Thanks for your time guys :).

PS. Billy, if you do hear of any spank me conventions please do let me know. I would love to see you shaking that groove thang.

Rob - there is no need to apologize for anything. You're doing the right thing and let's not make a mountain out of a molehill. If you have any further questions, just shoot me a PM.

Remember that there is no "station" - all 501st members are equals. Not like there's a class system or anything...

The FISD is a great tool for anyone who is embarking on the long road to all things TK. as such spreading the word to those that show an interest can only be a good thing. As long as you take into consideration all the suggestions that have been brought forward I am sure you won't have a problem.

If it were me I would get my spotter to give them a contact email. That way you can pass on a myriad of info to them should they get in touch and you also know they are serious because they have bothered to email you.

Either way enjoy the EMS and make sure you have someone there to look after you. :)

Edited by 89Batman