TKC helmet wip

TK bondservnt

my latest addition to my collection.

the stormtrooper commander lid.

Image10.jpg.08b9d8cafe3d8c1331893e4433b48138.jpgImage11.jpg.3c76f3d052de2cff0a7ae153a7ca0130.jpgImage12.jpg.e24afd6f2c6bfc40f251c713769394c9.jpgImage13.jpg.eb03b90182f5c9cbbaed09746153a512.jpg

S trim, sskunky's hovie tips, SA green gel acetate lenses. ( will be swapped out with dark welders lens.

weathering and ear pinstripe tape is all that's left to do.

also am going to add the HDPE chips and some grime...

I wanted to compare it to the scratch pattern from the game references.

what do you guys think?

thanks for looking!~

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

That blue paint job is pretty rough. :huh: Might be easier to paint it solid blue and then go back and scratch and scrub it with some sandpaper to give it a weathered look.

I agree. The stripe across the cap and face looks a bit too narrow too.

thanks for the input guys.

I'm trying for the scratch pattern first, then I'll be using more color to define it more.

more input?!!!

this is by no means a finished build!

so a little wider, and a bit darker is the plan... this is just the "base coat" so far.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

That blue paint job is pretty rough. :huh: Might be easier to paint it solid blue and then go back and scratch and scrub it with some sandpaper to give it a weathered look.

that's exactly what I did to get the above effect. with more color added over the top. this is just mapping out the scratch pattern

then the lighter blue and darker blues will fill in the edges, make the color more even and varied.

next set of photos will have darker blue, more hdpe chips, and some black paint for dirt.

the lines could be tightened up a bit ()the curve is a bit off IMHO). i see where your going with this Vern, but i agree with what the others stated above. paint a solid color first then add the scratch effect. it will yield more authentic looking battle wear

here is how the curve of the helmet markings should be from my observations of the screen caps

Image1.thumb.jpg.24771f90f4e7b9497f0c9e2d6afdcb90.jpg

the line on the faceplate is almost a straight arrow pointing down, the cap and back detail almost has a crescent shape starting at the brow

here is the reference form the CRL

http://www.501st.com/mw501/images/thumb/f/f0/TK_Commander_Helmet.jpg/266px-TK_Commander_Helmet.jpg

look here for the current CRL with new photos!!

http://www.501st.com...ng:TK_commander

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

when I look at that style of line, I see that you've done it on your lid, but I don't see scratch patterns on your line

and I don't see the angle that you have in the screen caps?

I've noticed that your face line has an angle, while when I look at the photo mine looks a little better to me

I'll take photos from the angle as the screencaps to show why I've done it this way.

Image11.jpg

also your line is idealized quite a bit, it has no uneven edges like it should.

and the pattern of paint on yours seems to be a little too clean...

look at the weathering on the paint in the chest. again while your build is very very nice there

mason, I'd have to say that adding the scratch patterning would really help the look.

I think your line is too pointed at the rear, and is not wide enough at the base of the tube.

I personally think that your line could also use some modifications, and I'm grateful for your

version of the paint guide! without these screencaps we would not have such an excellent

resource to discuss!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Regardless of Mason's helmet, it's clear from the screen cap that the line on your face plate is not correct.

In fact, you are not the first person to have the bottom end above the mic tip rather than inboard as in the game render.

You've got it mostly correct.

References:

STCFRONTCORRECTed1.png.64d109c0bc0b98facea036e41353320c.png

Image13.jpg.8d86aaf4f8471a21819cd36ced9a72a7.jpg

fscc1.thumb.jpg.f22185b09fda72292f0e292bd271a3b2.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

when I look at the mic tip line matchup it looks like the line runs between the vocoder and the tip edge.

see the new photo I've added to try to replicate the shadow, and angle of the first screen cap.

my mic tip line ends inside the well.

the face front render is the game pre vis render. (notice how there is no angle at the eye line?)

as you can see from this photo the line ends inside the well of the hovie, as I believe it should?

right paul?

I don't personally agree with mason's angle concept at the eye line. and I'll be working to show more

paint layering and adjustments.

here's a shot showing the terminate for the front line

in your screencaps paul, is that all from the same console version?

or are we mixing and matching different console renders for our refs...??

some of the screencaps show no drop boxes, while others seem to show white ones..

lot's of details seem to have changed on different consoles.

when I look at the felucia caps for instance, it's almost like we're looking at a different

model.

when I look at the scratch pattern and the width of the line and it's angle

from the screen caps it clearly shows a vertical line.

the pre visual game render even has no abdomen buttons, only the side panel.

but you can clearly see the grey sides end on the drop boxes on the "correct"

render. this render is what is shown on the CRL in the images section, and

the angle at the eye line looks completely incorrect in my opinion.

------

thanks to everyone for their input.

notice from this screencap the line is vertical. Unlike the suggested angle.

--------

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

it helps a lot if you have the game available while painting to get all possible angles. do you need a copy of the game? i can let you use my Ps3 version if you need it ;)

another reference form a more forward angle

Image2.jpg.25d7f74949126b87c395747b0a75c130.jpg

also bear in mind that this is a OK reference it is not 100% accurate. it it a Photoshopped model not taken from the game

STCFRONTCORRECTed1.png.be5145c336f88d4bb4d374d71ad8cb21.png

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

I used the render labeled "correct" as listed in the photo section for the TKC.

I used the scratch pattern from the felucia renders with the lightsabre.

I didn't use the menu or "lobby" screencaps that paul lists.

if the pre visual game render is not correct... then bloody why do we have it

listed as a paint reference?

and how can this version be labeled "incorrect" when I follow it?

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

take the red lines off the more forward view? larger?

is that from the felucian renders? PC version? PS3 version?

here's my own suggestion on how to widen my line, and put more

of the edges in, as I layer on the lighter colors.

I've also added some grey paint where I'll be putting chips.

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

the render was done back in 2009 if you check the thread date  --------

and im not saying it is a bad reference, it was just made long before the new screen caps showed the subtle details more clearly. also if the helmet is done correctly to match the artist render and looks good, i wouldn't really see a problem with basic 501st approval.

the hi rez screens are from the PC version (they share the same exact skin as the PS3 version)

ill upload more detailed screencaps ASAP ;) but like i said it really is best if you have a version of the game on hand. do you have a Ps3 Vern?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Okay, so now people are saying the blue stripr angles off to the right once it passes the brow trim, and the end of the stripe goes into the Hovi well?

Can we get some official decision on these aspects please?

I just painted my helmet and really don't see this as good news... <:(

Terry, for basic approval the lines dont have to be 100% exact. like i noted as long as it looks good (not sloppy or deformed) you should be fine for approval. but if going for game accuracy following the screen caps is IMO the best reference.

i just posted a bunch of new reference photos ----- and more coming

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

that is because the PS3 has far great graphic capabilities than my dated PC <_< i can only run the game on the lowest graphic setting or my PC will freeze. like i said in the PM the skin files are 100% identical (i extracted both the PC and PS3 textures)

• 5 weeks later...