Doopydoo's Full Resin E-11 Blaster

As for any other stormtrooper i would need a gun, perferrably the E-11 blaster. Now I've been looking at the Doopydoo's Full Resin E-11 Blaster, and thought it was nice. But then it was resin, which isn't very durable, and if resin is too manhandled it would just go poof and end up as a pile of dust (just break into many parts but still...). So I'm looking for advice from people who got one and what you think about it, how durable it is. And i would want some comments from people who has made pipebuilds, are they easy to do and how much do they generally cost (I'm not looking for any blastercore, atleast not this time ;))

Thanks!

Hi 1mpulseS0D, as you've no doubt discovered, there are many factors to consider when deciding on which E11 to go for.

Probably best overall for trooping would be a hollow vac form shell (lightest) or a rubber cast. Sorry I can't help with where you might get those...

A de-ac sterling with authentic scope, counter etc will look great, but weigh an absolute ton (and cost a fine penny too).

The DoopyDoos kit looks fine, but you're right in saying it will be fairly brittle - and possibly won't survive a drop!

I'm hoping my own pipe build will be pretty rugged. At least I'll know how to repair it if it does get dropped. The main drawback to the pipe build is time. If you want something approaching authentic in looks, it's going to take a fair while to build up. If you've put a suit/helmet together you should have the workshop skills to do it..

I would say that resin is actually very durable.

the way the new doopy kit is built with a pipe INSIDE the resin

cast the new version should be very very strong indeed.

a hyperfirm, from sci fire may be durable, but it's way too light, and has a large seam all across it.

and I'd have to say that if you've made armor, you know how brittle and prone to crack or cut it can be.

don't be afraid of the new doopy... it will serve you quite well!!

Not sure if you have actually held resin or you might not know what it is because it is very durable especially if it is solid as most of the doopy parts are. I have assembled one and dropped it many times and not a mark on it. The only thing you have to worry about is the way you glue the parts together. Scratch the parts up good that will be glued and use good glue like araldite.

Edited by 3phase

Not sure if you have actually held resin or you might not know what it is because it is very durable especially if it is solid as most of the doopy parts are. I have assembled one and dropped it many times and not a mark on it. The only thing you have to worry about is the way you glue the parts together. Scratch the parts up good that will be glued and use good glue like araldite.

Would E6000 do the trick?

Thing about resin is:

drop it on wood or carpet..good!

drop it on marble or cement..bad..

It won't shatter though, the worst that could happen is some of the parts might fly off.. but easily mendable.

Resin is cheap and easy. Id say go for it. post pics!

I've got the full Doopy Doos kit and have been slowly working on it. I've got no plans for trooping with it at the present time but I am more than happy with it. This is my first full resin kit of anything and my first prop replica and I was surprised by the size, weight and quality of it. You may wish to replace the bolts at the front though as mine looked more like blobs of resin than anything else, so I cut the heads of some suitable bolts and put them in where the blobs were.

If you are worried about the resin go for the Hasbro blaster and get the Doopy Doos upgrade set for it. There's not as much resin which shouldn't pose a problem like the full kit.

post-15180-0-68793600-1312298363_thumb.jpg

post-15180-0-64770000-1312298700_thumb.jpg

I've got the full Doopy Doos kit and have been slowly working on it. I've got no plans for trooping with it at the present time but I am more than happy with it. This is my first full resin kit of anything and my first prop replica and I was surprised by the size, weight and quality of it. You may wish to replace the bolts at the front though as mine looked more like blobs of resin than anything else, so I cut the heads of some suitable bolts and put them in where the blobs were.

If you are worried about the resin go for the Hasbro blaster and get the Doopy Doos upgrade set for it. There's not as much resin which shouldn't pose a problem like the full kit.

It's it that i can't really buy a hasbro + conversion since I am aiming for Centurion :)

It's it that i can't really buy a hasbro + conversion since I am aiming for Centurion :)

Get both. Use the resin kit for your application, Important troops.. then use the Hasbro w/ resin upgrade parts for the more casual troops.

As i've decided that i got the time and tools, and that I'm not in a hurry of getting it done. I've decided to go with a pipebuild. My first question with that is will E6000 bond the sheet metal or what other glue would be recommended that isn't too hard to find and isn't too expensive?

I haven't used E6000 so can't vouch for it's suitability, but...

If you can find it locally, use a 2 part epoxy adhesive (resin and hardener). I use Araldite in my build. It'll cover all areas - which is important when you're fixing wood to PVC to acrylic to steel to aluminium to resin to styrene to brass to ABS or whatever else.

Just make sure you key (roughen) your surfaces first.

If you need any help from someone who's been there with PVC pipe, just holler!

Edited by Skiffy

• 2 weeks later...