So I never post about this cause this kit doesn't really have a home, but now I found this section, so awesome. Years ago, I stumbled upon Gus Lopez' site where he talks about super rare figures and I discovered the weird Uzay figures. For those of you who don't know, Uzay is the Turkish knock off's of the vintage figures. I think they might be on the edge of authorized, since they are not pure bootlegs. The thing I really liked about about the Uzay ones were the custom characters they created. I always liked snowtroopers, so their invented character "Blue Stars" was my favorite, although "Head Man" (yes, I'm serious) is pretty awesome. The Blue Stars is simply a dark blue TS, yellow eyes, red accents and a white gun. The Blue Stars were a more serious type figure compared to Head Man. Head Man was a Royal Guard with no soft cape, black body, chrome head and a Captain America type shield. Since there are only 2-3 Blue Stars out there, I only had Gus' pics to work from.

------------

So, as I was thinking about joining the Legion, I though maybe doing a TS would be fun. Fairly easy (in my opinion) and cheap comparatively. So upon some advice, I bought a TS kit from a maker I won't mention, but it was NOT from Ebay and WAS from a known Legion kit maker. When I got it, I was pretty excited. I figured I was well on my way to being in the Legion. As I did more research, my hopes were crushed as I discovered that the pull I got was so weak that there was no way it would get approved. Well, lemme state I felt that it was not good enough...I might have passed muster, but the way the backpack and bucket were pulled I felt strongly that I had just wasted some cash.

Around the same time, CV was being rumored. When I saw they were infact planning CV and announced it, I had an idea while reading their site. They mentioned a costume contest. I figured it would be full of Legion types, started thinking there would be NO costumes of a rare Uzay figure. I knew that making it would be a one shot thing, since there are only two references for it (if you can even call it that...the vintage figure and now a Kubrick) and I highly doubted anyone from a normal con would understand what I was doing. But at CV, I might get recognized.

So I started the fun process of learning how to work ABS with no CRLs except my own standards. Trimming the armor and painting it blue was easy enough. I didn't know about the nice Lexan scissors, so all my cutting was with a Dremel. I used a Testors Model Masters Acrylic blue, airbrushed onto the armor after being rattle can primed.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1341/4728207975_4f53d502d1.jpg

As you can see from the brim, this was very roughly done. I kindof stressed that it didn't look like a nice Legion TS, but then thought it added to the whole knockoff and tacky-ness of it. Making the soft parts was fairly easy. I found a nice flowing blue cloth that matched the paint and used the Matrix Neo trenchcoat pattern for the duster. I threw together a pair of pants from the same material in a simple style. The gloves were white yardworking gloves that I dyed (dying the elastic as well) and used zip up boots that came with the Rubies Supreme Vader I got on Ebay for extremely cheap. I bought some yellow TK lenses from an Ebay seller who threw in some mirror tint for free so I could make my eyes. I used craft foam painted yellow for the rank buttons and an actual TS ab plate greeb. I already owned a 1996 era Hasbro E-11 that I dusted with white primer to finish off the look.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4813301901_4d04bbce93_z.jpg

And here is the finished bucket with the yellow mirrored eyes:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4813925320_5538577fa6_z.jpg

I didn't take too many build pics, but here is the final result:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4817035929_33ce01370b_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/4817658732_2588d15474_z.jpg

I had to do some repairs at CV, but I did get there with it and entered it into the costume contest. I took runner up in the "Outer Rim" category to the badass Gammorean. But I guess the coolest part is that when you go to www.starwarscelebration.com and see the trailer video they show for C6, upon mentioning "costumes", they show a queen, a TPM denizen, Grievous and ME! Not too bad to be only one of 4 demo-ing the costumes and contest!

Oh yeah, I bought a repro figure and packed it with me while in costume at CV, lol

--------------

Thanks for letting me show off, TK brothers!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

This was the most interesting i have read this week. THANK YOU. do you have more pics of your armour? And where can i find pictures o. All these custom characters you based your suit on? Is there more cool variations?

Edit: i used google :D and even if head man is cool with hes round shield and medieval sword (:D) you chose the coolest character to depict. The blue TS looks great.

Edited by ctankep

...where can i find pictures o. All these custom characters you based your suit on? Is there more cool variations?

Here is the link to Gus Lopez' article on the wierdness of Uzay. http://theswca.com/images-speci/yglesias/uzay.html

I have the Blue Stars armor in my attic still, but sorry, no more real pics, just multiples of the one's I posted. I might break him out for a convention or something soon. it's a fun costume to wear cause people don't know if I'm some sort of custom or an obscure character or what. All I know is it fun to be a life sized version of an interesting toy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agreed on all counts. In fact, the more you wear it at major cons, the more chance some SW artist will think it's cool and put you in an official source :)

Great job on the build - can't wait to see it in person sometime.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the necro-bump guys. Does anybody know if Gymbeau2000 is still active here? If not, can anyone help me track him down? I have some questions about this blue star build he did. Thanks!

Mete

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Hey there, go ahead and fire away in here of PM with questions. I haven't been in here for awhile cause I have long since completed my ANH Stunt....but have been researching some other stuff. I sitll want to refurbish this since my skills and knowledge in building have vastly increased.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

That's amazing! 

I heard on my Rancho Obi Wan tour that the Blue Stars are apparently cannon now- in a book review/meeting, they needed a throw-away line to reference some mercenary group.  Something to the effect of a name drop, like "What about So and so, or this other guy for the job?"  Never to be mentioned again and no purpose to the plot.  Some guy (who knew exactly what he was doing when he did it), said "What about the Blue Stars?" And they went with it.  Now I of course can't tell you the book or the guy who recommended it (I'm terrible with names), but I thought that was amazing.