Almost scratch-built pipe E11

Here's my 'almost' scratchbuilt E11 wip.

E11_11072401.jpg

E11_11072402.jpg

Whilst my workshop build has been put off (severe lack of funds) I commandeered a corner of the lounge to finish this build, started a looong time ago.

The scope and counter were to be scratchbuilt, but I went for the excellent Doopy Doos pieces instead to encourage me to finish the blaster!

Not shown is the mag housing, which was cut from sheet steel (a side panel from an old PC) folded up and is now glueing together.

I plan to cover the grip with filler, sand into shape and file-in the diamond pattern.

There's a way to go yet - but it'll be worth it! It won't be screen accurate but a lot closer than my Hasbro at any rate.

Looking good man, what is the front cap made out of? plexiglass? And pictures of the other side of the blaster would be good. A lot of parts are lined up using the ejection port and stuff like that.

Kevster - yeah, the front is 2 acrylic sheet discs with a couple of hex bolts on a wood backing plug. I'll get pics of that and the other side soon as poss.

Sskunky - Thanks mate! I've tried to line up everything up as close as I can, using real sterling pics as well as other E11 builds detailed here.

The one bit I've had to adjust is the stock rail, I had to cut a notch in it where it hits the mag housing. Looks like the hinge base behind the grip is just a little high.

Anyway, Onward!

[EDIT] Pics of the front and other side:

E11_11072404.jpg

E11_11072403.jpg

Edited by Skiffy

A couple more pics - everything I've got so far assembled:

E11_11072501.jpg

..and a closer look at the mag housing:

E11_11072502.jpg

There are other little bits I've collected, bolt heads and such, but they'll go on much later.

Now I know that everything fits and works together, I'll have to to strip it down again, sand/fill all the joins, fill all the wood-grain and prime the main body ready for paint.

Thanks ZeroRoom - I actually don't plan to have the stock fold out. I was initially, back when I was following the fabulous work Smitty was doing on these boards, and went so far as to research how it went together, but there's just too much engineering needed for my modest table-top build.

Further on, I plan to make a better version with folding stock, but this one will be fixed. Check out Smitty's work here and on youtube for how a home-made functional stock goes together.

Right - chucked on a little primer - mostly so I can see where I'm filing/sanding. The mag housing has been epoxied in, and I'll smooth some milliput over the joins once it's cured. I've sanded the grip in prep for some epoxy too.

E11_11072701.jpg

Okay, some progress!

Started moulding the grip.

Smoothed in the mag housing.

Sculpted the stock catch under the end cap.

Made up the 'T' track.

I did have some older 'T' track, but it was far too flimsy. Made some new beefier stuff.

E11_11072901.jpg

Latest: T track cut, bent and epoxying in place as per these pics. Plus the two semi-circle guard things (whatever they are - they're the black styrene pieces).

Also, I've made up the mag and placed that - I can't show it yet until I can lay the blaster down on this side - when the glue dries!

E11_11080103.jpg

E11_11080102.jpg

E11_11080101.jpg

you've done a really nice job!

only aspect is that the folding stock actually should have a lower mounting point

on the tube, and the arms actually have a slight curve on the originals.

this would have eliminated the need for a "cutout" on the folding stock arm.

nice use of custom skills!

Thanks TK Bondservnt 2392!

Interesting points on the stock mount, thanks. I felt it was high once it all started to come together.

I've not quite finished it just yet. There are some other small bits and bobs to add, including the top screw on the mag housing (which is not in shot) the cocking lever, the stock catch behind the grip and the trigger, of course.

I can smell the end coming soon though! Can't wait to throw some paint and clearcote on this puppy.

Edited by Skiffy

Okay, more primer and greeblies added.

E11_11080603.jpg

We now have a trigger, a cocking handle and a rear stock-catch (minus the insert)..

E11_11080601.jpg

We have a bolt on top of the mag housing, a mag with scallop detail and you can just see the front ironsight.

E11_11080602.jpg

Next up in this overall shot you can see my cack-handed failure of an attempt at grip pattern. This will get smoothed and re-done. You can also see a little bulge where the scope rail bolts to the front of the body. This is re-inforcement where the PVC split right across two of the vent holes as I was fixing the rail in place. I tried and failed to glue it from inside, but luckily this 'patching' solution won't detract too much from the overall effect.

E11_11080604.jpg

Lastly, a detail shot of the front ironsight - filed from acrylic sheet.

E11_11080605.jpg

Still to add: D ring, bayonet lug on side of barrel, fire selector switch, more detailing at the back of the mag housing, non-wonky grip patterning! I plan to insert an imperial roundel in styrene to the right side of the grip - as I've seen in some resin versions - cuz it looks cool.. :)

Wow, that has come a long way. Congrats! Are you thinking about putting electronics in it as well?

Funnily enough, I have thought long and hard about this. I've left room in the trigger housing for a pivot and return spring, and considered ripping open my hasbro to transplant the sound chip.

I think I'm gonna stay silent with this though, perhaps until I can afford a blastercore unit - now that would be the shizzle..

Whoa! It doesn't even look like the same object from the first post. Great looking blaster... can't wait to see it all black and mean looking.

Aloha,

-Eric

Haha - thanks guys - it certainly looks a lot better with a coat of unifying primer.

Unfortunately, with no cover for spraying (I'd be outside) and 50mph winds - doesn't look like I'll be putting any black on this sucker tonight. *Sigh*.

Next up in this overall shot you can see my cack-handed failure of an attempt at grip pattern. This will get smoothed and re-done.

E11_11080604.jpg

Just a thought on this bit, as I've no idea how you went about this in the first place. However, If what you're using is something that sets, you might be able to find something with a nice knurl on it (the diamond shapes) on the side of something thats generally used for tightening something, and possibly rolling it over the surface to create the same effect, (if that makes sense).

Anyhow complements on a very good looking build.

Hi Marv. I used the incredibly high tech method of covering the wooden surface with Milliput - waiting for it to dry - and filing grooves (at two different angles) according to markings I'd made with a ruler earlier. I think you're method is better = use a knurled mini-rolling pin. Genius!

Now, I'm off to play 'hunt the knurl'.

I had a painting disaster at first, had to strip the gun down - clean off all the crap black paint and find a better brand of rattle can. Went with an automotive satin black - which looks the bomb!

Still lots to do - including re-doing the grip - but it's starting to look shweet..

E11_11081301.jpg

E11_11081302.jpg

E11_11081303.jpg