EIB: Tube Stripes for ESB

I want to build my armor ESB style and am hoping to apply for EIB and then hopefully centurion so I have a question about tube stripe decals:

The CRL clearly states that ESB requires decals and not hand painted. There is one aspect though that is not clear. If you look at the screen used helmets from ESB like so:

newesb_decaltube.jpg

You can clearly see that they have used decals of the type that are one strip with the blue and white as one solid piece. Here I have highlighted the edges to clarify what I mean:

Decals.jpg

Hand painted tube stripes on the other hand, consist of individual stripes, with the gaps between being helmet 'showing through' like so:

HandPaint.jpg

I actually prefer the look of the individual stripes rather than one sheet with both the white and the blue. Of course this can still be achieved with decals if you use an individual decal for each stripe. My question is whether the EIB/Centurion requirements demand that the decals be of the one strip kind or if individual tube stripe decals would be considered acceptable simply because they are still decals?

Any tips or opinions would be appreciated :)

EDIT: I have taken these photos from StarWarsHelmets.com without permission so if I should take them down let me know...

Edited by ZeroRoom

Why would you want to use anh stripes on an ESB lid?

It's not so much that I wanted ANH stripes on an ESB helmet, it was more a question of what 'decals' means. Eg: whether it specifically refers to the solid strip decal or just that it should be decals as opposed to painted. It seems to me that the solid decal strip used in ESB was probably a time saver rather than an aesthetic decision, so the idea of using decals but in individual stripes didn't seem to me like it would corrupt design or look in any way as it is not visible on screen that the tube stripes are a single solid strip. I guess the 'screen accuracy' versus 'prop accuracy' issue rears it's head again...

That being said - if the use of the word decal in the CRL refers exclusively to the solid strip decal then I shall abide by that... It will make construction easier!

for EI the requirements state Traps/tears and tube stripes shall be decals (with the correct ESB details), no hand-painting or decals that replicate hand painted.

i would say for EI as long as you do not use hand painted style decals for the stripes you will be fine. if you are planning to got Centurion i would like to see correct ESB decals. if you have the ESB decals i say use them, you can always remove them after applying for EI/centurion ;) it is your costume after all and you should be happy with it :D

Aside from ESB being one solid decal, the other thing that you also have to look at is that some of the ANH decals out there, have a unique curvature to them. Whether it is the hand painted looking decal (David M version) or the idealized ANH decals, that all have a unique curvature to them, that ESB and ROTJ do not.

When it states in the requirements that Traps/tears and tube stripes:

( with the correct ESB details).

The same thing applies to the other OT TK's in the EI requirements:

ANH (STUNT and HERO):

Traps/tears and tube stripes shall have the correct ANH TK details.

ROTJ:

Traps/tears and tube stripes shall be decals (with the correct ROTJ details), not hand-painted or decals that replicate hand painted.

Just like how many lines there are to the traps and tears from the ANH to the ESB, there is also a difference between the curvature of the tube stripes.

I know that right now we don't notice the delineation as much between it being one solid decal(with blue and white combined) or the individual blue stripe with the white part of the helmet showing in between. This could be because of the way they lit the scene and possibly the quality of the picture (hi def, blu-ray 1080P versus standard DVD). Years ago, when it was just VHS, a lot of people thought the tube stripes were black.

The only thing that I bring up is that the curvature or the design of the detailing is different between the ANH versus ESB.

So to be compliant with the requirements for ESB EI and above, the ESB decals should be used.

I hope this helps.

Thank you it does indeed help a lot.

When you say this:

The only thing that I bring up is that the curvature or the design of the detailing is different between the ANH versus ESB.

Are you referring to the variation in curvature and spacing that is apparent on ANH lids or is the actual Degree of curvature different? Ie: is there a specific different curve shape for ANH and ESB?

What they all said in regard to the stripes , and about the pics dont worry about it u stated in your post were there from. ;)