TIE Fighter 3D Model

Jorran

I had some time between projects recently and felt like I needed to tackle something that challenged my 3D skills, as far as replicating small details in models (as opposed to bump or normal mapping everything). So, as is often the case, I fell back to Star Wars for my inspiration. I found a great site for reference (Modeler Magic) and started working on a TIE Fighter. I thought the members of this particular fine establishment would appreciate the subject matter. B) Here's a render journey:

The first step was to get the basic geometry in place.

5961368855_7979de08bc_b.jpg

Then it was on to roughing out the iconic cockpit front...

5961368835_6438ea9f12_b.jpg

...and adding the extra details and cannons to get closer to the final look.

5961924962_568ccb9dc4_b.jpg

Then I added all the little widgets to the wings. This part took the most time out of the entire project. It's unreal how many little pieces they crammed into the small area at the center of the solar arrays.

5961925010_436d1612a0_b.jpg

Both panels complete...

5961368957_063e181f4f_b.jpg

...and an initial texturing pass done.

5961925058_a12282b1a5_b.jpg

Finally, a closeup to show some of the smaller details, plus the "fabric" texture on the solar arrays.

5961925084_26ba15b00b_b.jpg

Enjoy!

Here are a few shots of the back, showing the same process as above.

5961924892_6d6cc6f67d_b.jpg

5961925108_1581e5a102_b.jpg

5961368907_1f0126ca82_b.jpg

5961924862_83d46b892d_b.jpg

For those who care about such things, this was done in 3DS Max Design 2009 and rendered with mental ray.

Edited by Jorran

Thanks everyone. My goal, if I somehow find the time, is to also make an X-Wing, Vader's TIE, and Y-Wing, and do some recreations of the Battle of Yavin.

Michael, have you been to this guys website?

No, I hadn't. Wow, he's doing some incredible work!

Edited by Jorran

That's amazing! I only use Max for animating. I've only done a little modeling in there and it wasn't easy so mad props. I usually do solid modeling in solid works/inventor/proE etc. I'm actually working at Autodesk right now developing technical animation tutorials (robots, factories, etc.)

Good stuff :) thanks for sharing!

Edited by R2-E2

Caleb, this is done using 3DS Max. I went to school and learned Maya, then work made me transition to Max. They're both awesome programs and now that Autodesk owns them both, they keep getting more and more similar to each other.

Pablo, I completely agree! I love that old game. X-Wing Alliance is still one of my favorite games of all time.