Cutting the cover strips

I just picked up my ATA set today, and so far I've just been reading as much as possible, and trying to score and snap some tiny bits to see how it works, yes I am very much a beginner at this, slightly different from my Tusken Raider build XD

So I'm sitting here with two plastic panels at 30 cm by 51 cm and I'm just trying to figure out which way I should cujt it by. Do I cut it along the 51 cm length or the 30 cm length? Will there be a lot left over in the end so I shouldn't even worry about this? I know it might be a stupid question, but I'd really rather be safe than sorry.

I just picked up my ATA set today, and so far I've just been reading as much as possible, and trying to score and snap some tiny bits to see how it works, yes I am very much a beginner at this, slightly different from my Tusken Raider build XD

So I'm sitting here with two plastic panels at 30 cm by 51 cm and I'm just trying to figure out which way I should cujt it by. Do I cut it along the 51 cm length or the 30 cm length? Will there be a lot left over in the end so I shouldn't even worry about this? I know it might be a stupid question, but I'd really rather be safe than sorry.

With the sheets ATA includes you basically need to cut the strips for each part depending on how long they need to be. I used the small sheet to do the biceps and forearms and the larger for the legs. The long axis on the large sheet should be more than long enough for the legs. If in doubt, measure the section you plan to cover first to make sure there is enough material. What i mean by this is take a ruler to the return edge on the front of the shin, it should be x length...the plastic sheet should be much longer than this. I cut my strips the entire length of the sheet to start off with then trimmed them to fit exactly before gluing.

Make sure to measure your widths and mark out your scribe lines with a ruler so they are nice and straight.

Also, im assuming you are doing an ANH suit so you need to make sure the strips are the correct width for each piece. 15mm for arms and biceps and 20mm for shins and thighs.

EDIT: Also, troopers with nice suits usually ask silly questions so we dont mess things up!

Edited by sith_241

Thanks a lot for the quick and detailed response :)

Since I've got your attention, basically what I need to do is measure to fit me, score and snap with a little bit of extra left to make a return-edge, then glue it together with the strips?

Also, the ATA wrote some measurements on the sheets saying 16mm for the arms, 22mm for the legs and 25mm for the shin backs, should I rather use the measurements you provided?

You don't make a return with the cover strips. Also, I'd use the measurements above. What ATA said could be a conversion from imperial measures.

You don't make a return with the cover strips. Also, I'd use the measurements above. What ATA said could be a conversion from imperial measures.

correct. mine were marked in inches, so its a conversion difference basically.

Hehe I know I'm not doing return edges for the strips, but thanks :) I'll use the ones Sith gave me, thanks to you both :)

Sounds like some people on these forum pages wish to "avoid any imperial entanglements"! :lol:

This is a great thread, btw. I need to sort my shin pieces out so I'm glad I had a look.

Cheers guys!

W B)

You want to be cutting along the 51cm edge.

Your strips for the front of the thighs will be around 40cm long so cutting it the other way will make them too short.

Make the leg strips between 20mm-22mm and the arm strips 15mm-17mm. They did vary on the screen used armour so there is no definitive size. Just remember to trim the corners at 45` like this \____/ for that screen used look :)

You want to be cutting along the 51cm edge.

Your strips for the front of the thighs will be around 40cm long so cutting it the other way will make them too short.

Make the leg strips between 20mm-22mm and the arm strips 15mm-17mm. They did vary on the screen used armour so there is no definitive size. Just remember to trim the corners at 45` like this \____/ for that screen used look :)

Thanks a lot, I'll keep this in mind. I did try to cut a strip along the 30 cm line, and I did a pretty bad job at it, but I don't think it's a disaster... me hopes :P

• 2 weeks later...

I take a piece of plywood cut in a long strip 6" wide by 3 feet long.

put a C clamp on one end with some aluminum flat bar under the clamp.

flat bar dimensions 3/4" x 3 feet long.

place your sheet of cover strip material under the flat bar, clamp down

on both ends of the plywood.

run your blade 2x down your line. remove from clamps and bend carefully with pliars.

strip should carefully come apart directly on your score line.

be careful not to mark your strip with the pliars.

most finishing strips come with a dull side (inside) and a shiny side (outside)

just cut from the dull side and you should have a perfect cut, nice and shiny!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Get a longer ruler mate (sure I've heard that before lol)

Also my top tip is to cut the softer, duller inner side if your plastic.

The high gloss part is usually acrylic capped and is quite tough. The inside is much softer :)

Plus if you slip, who cares

• 2 months later...

These numbers are not set in stone, and those odd numbers you mention are a result of a metric > imperial > metric conversion. I use 15 and 20 mm respectively.

It should however be somewhere around those figures, unless you need bigger for your larger frame.

It's on both front and back. However on the back of the shins it's a good idea to do 25 mm instead of 20 mm as it helps to cover the open back.