How long to finalize an armor?

Hi there,

I realize this is a question with no definitive answer, so it's more a request for your experience.

How long does it take to have a finished TK armor, ready for trooping?

It means:

• Shipping delays
  • Armor trimming, sanding ... all the necessary mods (not the optional ones)
  • E11 building (or purchasing?)

And what am I trying to achieve, by the way?

• A TK armor,
  • 501st acceptable,
  • needing relatively simple tools (I don't plan to build a vacuum forming table for example),
  • needing average skills (I can trim, sand, paint, but don't plan to rebuild parts of the armor).

I don't have a definitive budget (and it could influence how I'd get that armor finished a great deal, I know)

As for now, it looks as if 900£ should cover it

So, what do you think?

Cheers

There's a trooper from Terra Australis Garrison who allegedly built his armour in 3 days! Mind- it wasn't his first kit. I guess, add to that ~3-4 weeks for delivery, and there's a 'fastest you can possibly do it' time.

But I'd say, take your time. There's often a longer wait than you expect for certain items (TK boots can be a while if they're out of your size), and most importantly, take your time on research!

I've just about gotten my armour ready to try out for approval, and I ordered my kit in January- though I could have done it quicker, had I not procrastinated somewhat.

According to rumor, FireBladeJedi built an armor in 1 day just with his x-acto knife :)

Take your tme, do your research. Collect all your accessories before building. E.g., you need your boots before fitting the shins. Alos, wear our under armor when sizing the parts etc.

Yes, thank you for the advice.

Wow ... give me an X-Acto, an untrimmed armor and three days and ... well after multiple cuts, I could only disguise myself as Anakin after his duel with Obi-Wan 

It's true I am a little feverish from discovering all this new world today, I'd like to have it all done/take on the whole Empire myself right now 

I am indeed going to spend the next weeks studying the subject thoroughly, and this place seems like an excellent starting point.

I'll be back with more precise questions then ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I did my last TD set in 2 weeks from Box open to first troop.

TK would have been slightly shorter.

Edited by sith_241

I have built three sets of armour and I took time off work for each. In terms of net hours I probably only took between 2-3 workinh days for each.

However, before I built the first and even afterwards, I spent hours and hours trawling the forums, downloading and studying reference material and generally preparing myself.

In essence, once you more or less know what you're doing, the actual manual work you need to do is not a great deal.

You're in the right place; keep reading, researching, preparing and you too will build a superb TK.

Bonne chance!

Over on the UKG we built a set, out of the box, up to EIB standard in a day :o

Yerrp, no corners cut either, E6000, poppers-snaps, butt joins and finishing strips the lot.Even managed to make a leather holster and canvas belt as well. B)

------------

Satka

Realistically you want to give yourself at least 2-3 weeks minimum for your first build.

You should just take your time, get to know the parts and how they should go

together in the right way.

The other timings are as you said, open ended.

Armour-order and arrive;-

2 weeks up to 2 months depending where you order it from

Armour Build time;-

2 weeks to how ever long it takes

E11 build;-

2-3 weeks for parts, same again for a fully built

Build time, Depending on your skill set, 1 week up to when ever

Take your time, do your reserch and be patient.Get in touch with your local Garrison and get to know those guys.

And remember, if you're not sure about anything just ask, you have a wealth of knowledge on here as well as some very helpful people :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Again, thank you all for your advice, which gave me enough energy to start my research right away!

Well, I still have one week worth of real life work before three weeks of vacation, a good portion of which will be spent on this subject :)

But I am psychologically ready to start now

I am going to study:

• The many possible sources for an armor kit, and how they compare (prices, types, quality)
  • The components I will need, from boots (TK it seems) to E11 (that one scares me)
  • The ultimate list of steps to build an armor, and I'll have to find tutorials for each one

I'll come back with yet another approach to TK-ism, but as I'll have "built" it myself, it will hopefully help me proceed to actual realization with confidence ... (because I think the armor unboxing must be a spine chilling moment!)

I can't wait!

I would say a few months for you first build from order date to completion including sourcing boots and odd and end things. Plus upgrades later on depending on what your starting out with. If your particular it will take longer.

May I suggest reviewing Jorran's TK Shopping List. I found it super helpful. You may not end up buying the same stuff as he did, but it does give you an idea of how much non armor crap there is to buy. I've been collecting my TK trinkets for about 6 months now and I finally just sent the money for an armor kit.

Patience is the only way to make it happen faster :)

Aloha,

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...

I am very very new to all of this, I did just buy my first kit with a helmet. I am finding lots of deviations from the intended instructions in the kit. All I have left is legs forearms, hands, and final nelmet details. I say it is all I have left but I need to accomplish lots more trimming to fit me. I may have to be in the suit for a few hours, So I will need comfort. This has been 2 weeks of work.

I have used;

Hot glue gun

blue paint

Gray paint

Black Paint

ABS Glue,

Drill

Drill Bits.

Industrial Velcro strips (sticky back 15 feet)almost gone

(I am still new to this so I can only describe noobish perspective

REGRETS;

Not finding a way to temp install Velcro for fit

not taking my time with helmet to avoid sanding and reglue

not taking the time to watch movies for detail instead of blind instruction following..This put my straps in weird places, I should have fit it to me.

Watched the youtube videos of people armoring up to see how their builds work

As stated I am very new to tho, I just want to help you avoid some of the mistakes I have made.

• 2 weeks later...