Too short for a stormtrooper?

Hello there

I'm completely new to the costuming world, but after attending to my first Celebration last year (C5), I was amazed at how fans can express themselves through costuming. :D

Now, I am really eager to participate too, and I'm going to try to attend C6, and in costume if I can. ;)

My first choice went to the Stormtrooper, anonymous but so striking, and iconic.

But my height might be a problem ... I'm 1.65m, 60kg (5'5", 132 lbs).

Do you think I would make a believable ST?

In particular, I haven't found (yet) a list of armor types and how well they would fit my height.

I started soaring the forums (here and there), and saw numerous tutorials, lists, countless pieces of advice ... I must admit I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now ... :o

I still have to build my own knowledge of ST costuming, but the SDS kit looks very nice (albeit pricey, but I suppose I won't be able to avoid that ;))

Thank you for your advice

Satka

Your height shouldn't be a problem. You'll just have to do a little more trimming here & there. I'm barely over 5'5'' and even though I have to listen to the "aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper" bit from people as they giggle, thinking somehow they were the first person ever to say that, I make it work. If you find that you are a little on the thin side, you can add foam padding on the inside of the armor.

Thanks BJ for the answer :)

and even though I have to listen to the "aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper"

As for this dreaded question, I already have an answer ready:

"Yeah, but I saved the Princess!" :P

I actually think that you are well within what I would consider the range for a "believable" stormtrooper. Depending on how your length and girth is distributed you may have to do some additional trimming, and there are certain kits (AM and RT-Mod) that are made with larger guys in mind that would not make the best option for you, but it's definitely doable.

As for a list of armor types, I'll get you started with a link in this very section: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11538

Oh, and is our tradition here, please post an introduction thread telling us a bit about yourself over in the New Member Introductions section: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showforum=5

Or just respond "aren't you a little bald for a wookie"? Actually there are some Vaders who are 6'0" in costume who would much love having 5'5" TK's to have photos with rather than us 6'+ TK's :)

As noted, you're fine where you are though you'll need to do some judicious trimming at points.

On 7/17/2011 at 9:17 PM, Satka said:

Satka

Some of the best troopers in the World could be described as 'short a$$es' B)

Elite-FISD01.jpg.712c7e70221e8df682e2269a2ec61f5b.jpg

:D

As Paul said, a little bit of tweaking here and there and you should have no problem at all. :duim:

And don't worry, we have PLENTY of come backs for all those "Aren't you a little short..." comments :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Oh, and is our tradition here, please post an introduction thread telling us a bit about yourself over in the New Member Introductions section: http://forum.whitear...php?showforum=5

Thank you for the advice ...

And I realized forgot to post an introduction when I posted on this thread, so here goes my intro :)

On 7/19/2011 at 12:38 AM, Billhag said:

Satka

Some of the best troopers in the World could be described as 'short a$$es' B)

:D

QFT.

Let me guess...Gary H had gone for a coffee? ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 7/18/2011 at 10:37 PM, bobojuice said:

What all these guys said plus this ----------

;)

another suggestion when it comes for the height problem. thanks for this bobojuice this is great help ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hi Satka you are just like me I'm 5'4-5'5 and little bit fat. some of the members are using "increase height method" like bobojuice post that link.

So there is no problem with height when it comes to the Storm troopers or any except on Vader perhaps? lol

another suggestion when it comes for the height problem. thanks for this bobojuice this is great help ;)

Not a problem. I've got a couple of short noob prospects in my garrison so I've been researching solutions. :)

The good thing about the shorter trooper is that it makes Vader look that much bigger and imposing.

If I'm running an event I will always have the shorter TK's next to vader and the taller farthest away. It helps with the whole illusion.

Besides, if anyone uses the "too short for a stormtrooper" line just point out that your the one with the blaster. ;)

Better still force them to the ground and get them doing press ups. Then who's the one being laughed at! B)

Its always better to have shorter troopers than a barely 6ft Vader.

I helped my squadmate finish her TK and she's 5'2. It looks fine on someone small; just takes trimming and resizing. It's not a big deal. Short stormtroopers get just as much love as tall ones. I got booted out of a couple pictures because everyone wanted a picture with the short one. :blink:

Another trick to gain one inch in height is to pad the inside top of the shoulder bells, put extra padding inside the helmet and put a foam over your shoulders before wearing the armor, that way everything sits a bit higher.

• 5 years later...

Does anyone have photos of Modifications they made to their Ab and Cod plates for the shorter Troopers? I am 5'5 is and 135lbs. I am swimming in my Anovos Ab and Cod plates and looking for suggestions and ideas on how to trim it and make it fit. 

Does anyone have photos of Modifications they made to their Ab and Cod plates for the shorter Troopers? I am 5'5 is and 135lbs. I am swimming in my Anovos Ab and Cod plates and looking for suggestions and ideas on how to trim it and make it fit. 

Have you seen Cricket's thread Mel?

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38416-crickets-rs-stunt-build-for-the-vertically-challenged/